Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times

Advertisements

Since some like to think of declining oil prices as a falling knife, I prefer to think of it as a slippery slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 11:53 AM

106,680 posts, read 108,856,202 times
[quote=TuborgP;37454150]Could oil collapse cause next credit crisis?

Plunging oil price could trigger next GFC
Quote:

Food for thought any disagreement should be directed at Deutsche Bank.
yet another reason to avoid high yield stuff.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Decline in Oil Prices: Investment Observations

Decline In Oil Prices: Stray Reflections On The Economy

Energy is now 17% of the high-yield index according to Barron's. Much of the high-yield debt issuance has occurred in 2013 and 2014.

I've read the US output rose more than 5% last month while the price of oil has been dropping. With the lower demand, other producing regions were cutting back or holding supply steady. With the infusion of new debt and the new investment, these producers have to extract the oil now.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:57 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Decline in Oil Prices: Investment Observations

Decline In Oil Prices: Stray Reflections On The Economy

Energy is now 17% of the high-yield index according to Barron's. Much of the high-yield debt issuance has occurred in 2013 and 2014.

I've read the US output rose more than 5% last month while the price of oil has been dropping. With the lower demand, other producing regions were cutting back or holding supply steady. With the infusion of new debt and the new investment, these producers have to extract the oil now.
Way too much panicking over falling oil prices. The US is still a net importer and profiting from lower oil prices. So overall high yield will profit from declining oil prices and a stronger economy. North Dakota and Texas among others will suffer but most states will benefit. We in Arizona profit nicely via lower fuel and power prices.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
The US is still a net importer and profiting from lower oil prices.
Right. You left out the word "huge." Even with all the new production, the US still imports some 50% more oil than the #2 importer. US oil imports are over 15% of world oil production that is exported. Of course, the US has the luxury of living next door to the #5 and #9 producers of oil who are capable of supplying us with about half our imports.

US oil imports might have gone below 50% of total consumption, but consumers are even now, making buying decisions based on $2 gasoline with the idea that they can afford to pay for the extra 100 horsepower today. These are the same people who were on the TV being interviewed by some reporter whining about their $100 fill-up.

I love it when the 'math-deficient' politicians say that oil independence is just around the corner.

As I said earlier, this is not the housing bust where there were no buyers and sellers could not unload their "product."

The major oil companies are probably even now starting to buy up the weaker players. Any one of them has enough cash to suck up huge portions of the horizontal boomers. When the prices get low enough, they will step in. Again, they are almost totally out of this area. It's a safe and sure way to get new reserves that will look great on their Annual Statements.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 11-30-2014 at 04:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2014, 05:45 PM

BTW two areas getting whacked along with oil producers or servicers are IMO rather benefiting from lower oil prices: refiners and pipelines. As prices get lower consumption will go up. So more crude or distillates have to be transported and refined. They are getting punished wrongly because they are part of the "energy" sector. I will be buying refiners and pipelines (usually GPs). I'm not timing I will be buying a bit on a monthly basis.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Right. You left out the word "huge." Even with all the new production, the US still imports some 50% more oil than the #2 importer. US oil imports are over 15% of world oil production that is exported. Of course, the US has the luxury of living next door to the #5 and #9 producers of oil who are capable of supplying us with about half our imports.

US oil imports might have gone below 50% of total consumption, but consumers are even now, making buying decisions based on $2 gasoline with the idea that they can afford to pay for the extra 100 horsepower today. These are the same people who were on the TV being interviewed by some reporter whining about their $100 fill-up.

I love it when the 'math-deficient' politicians say that oil independence is just around the corner.

As I said earlier, this is not the housing bust where there were no buyers and sellers could not unload their "product."

The major oil companies are probably even now starting to buy up the weaker players. Any one of them has enough cash to suck up huge portions of the horizontal boomers. When the prices get low enough, they will step in. Again, they are almost totally out of this area. It's a safe and sure way to get new reserves that will look great on their Annual Statements.
Great post, thanks. We bought a minivan in 2008 and have seen lower gas prices from the get-go. At the time nobody wanted big cars. We'll probably buy one more gas guzzler but the car after that needs to be very efficient because that's when oil usually goes up again. (Unless we get competitive alternative fuels by then.)

Old 12-01-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
BTW two areas getting whacked along with oil producers or servicers are IMO rather benefiting from lower oil prices: refiners and pipelines. As prices get lower consumption will go up. So more crude or distillates have to be transported and refined. They are getting punished wrongly because they are part of the "energy" sector. I will be buying refiners and pipelines (usually GPs). I'm not timing I will be buying a bit on a monthly basis.
I see you have an interest in pipelines. May I suggest you consider looking at ETE and WMB. This may a place to start your research.

May I also suggest you look at nat gas and LNG pipelines. I believe ETE and WMB transport both.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I see you have an interest in pipelines. May I suggest you consider looking at ETE and WMB. This may a place to start your research.

May I also suggest you look at nat gas and LNG pipelines. I believe ETE and WMB transport both.
Thanks will check them out. I have owned WMB for a while.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks will check them out. I have owned WMB for a while.
Great...WMB has been good to us. I also own ETP but wished I also go into ETE which is ETP's GP. I'm seriously thinking about it along with adding more to BP. FWIW...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing