Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:32 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,539,971 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find someone to help me change my portfolio due to retiring. You see my father managed my account and now is too old (senile) and I am managing it myself. I did go to Vanguard and have them plan a retirement plan and change the stuff. But IM not sure if I agree with the changes the recommend. I then called some Financial advisors groups but they just want to pick funds and me put my money with them or invest with them. I need just an hour and am willing to pay!! So I am in the NJ area and need help. I also am willing to pay someone over the phone who know his stuff. I can do paypal or mail a check or credit card. If you have any ideas please help. I would type the stuff on the computer but its easier to talk on the phone. THanks Marilyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 01:43 PM

106,956 posts, read 109,218,153 times
well you could start learning on your own if you have an interest.

if you want more instruction and hand holding i highly recommend using a newsletter that puts nice model portfolios together using either vanguard or fideliy funds.

the portfolios are dynamically adjusted slightly by following the newsletter weekly updates and checking to see if they have changes in any fuunds which every so often they swap out

it is as close to having someone manage your money as you can get without giving them your money or constantly paying consulting fees.

i have used fidelity insight for more than 25 years. my older aunts all follow the models too as they have neither the interest or desire to learn at this point and nothing could be simpler for them..

what i am not so sure you want to do is just throw a bunch of funds together and get no guidance or hand holding as to any adviseable changes should we go to higher rates that would hurt bonds. a 40 year bull market in bonds made holding a static portfolio a fine way to go. but a turn in rates could end that and a more active approach may be requred.

having a third party keep you on track when the going gets tough is another good reason.

i am a well seasoned investor but i would be lying if i said i didn,t consider running for the exits a few times in 2008-2009 but the fact that i left what we do to the newsletter ,who never beileves in in or out , kept me on the straight and narrow without second guessing myself.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well you could start learning on your own if you have an interest.

if you want more instruction and hand holding i highly recommend using a newsletter that puts nice model portfolios together using either vanguard or fideliy funds.

the portfolios are dynamically adjusted slightly by following the newsletter weekly updates and checking to see if they have changes in any fuunds which every so often they swap out

it is as close to having someone manage your money as you can get without giving them your money or constantly paying consulting fees.

i have used fidelity insight for more than 25 years. my older aunts all follow the models too as they have neither the interest or desire to learn at this point and nothing could be simpler for them..

what i am not so sure you want to do is just throw a bunch of funds together and get no guidance or hand holding as to any adviseable changes should we go to higher rates that would hurt bonds. a 40 year bull market in bonds made holding a static portfolio a fine way to go. but a turn in rates could end that and a more active approach may be requred.

thanks I will look for newsletters. Its I don't think they will answer my specific questions about the changes the retirement guy at vanguard suggested. Its specific questions I have. but thanks I need to learn more so will check that out.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:55 PM

without knowing your complete story and pucker factor i would be apprehensive of anyone telling me what to do.

at the least i want choices of different portfolios with different volatility levels that i can pick from and not the vanguard advsor picks for me unless we went through my complete financial story and was evaluated.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:12 PM

well He did that , however I get your point. I need to change things I just want to know if the choices are correct. I do need to learn more. Im in trouble!! I call this portfolio the monster. It just gets crazier each day. I wish my Father did not keep me in the dark so much. YOUR HIRED ,my check is good , you want my number (HEHE) !!!?? No seriously the thing is a monster.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:16 PM

thanks but i do not give one on one advice .

Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
thanks but i do not give one on one advice .
I was kidding for you. However I will find some answers. Im overhelmed. The thing has grown so much and its a tax hit everytime something get changed to become so called safer and more diversified. Its like owning a small corp. this monster. Thanks again and keep winning those prizes kid!!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:07 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,127,268 times
None of us would give you specific advice on your portfolio. However if you post some general information about asset allocation, then you might get some useful feedback from this forum. As always with the internet look for a consensus or general understanding. Avoid any specific recommendations about how to invest. Anyway, if the general feedback matches your advice from Vanguard you can at least take it easy and not feel rushed and overwhelmed. You can also post questions and concerns that you have about investments and at least get some additional information.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:23 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,982,244 times
May I suggest you begin with your accountant, and if you don't have one, it would be advisable to get a good one.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:43 PM

[quote=jrkliny;37761372]None of us would give you specific advice on your portfolio. However if you post some general information about asset allocation, then you might get some useful feedback from this forum. As always with the internet look for a consensus or general understanding. Avoid any specific recommendations about how to invest. Anyway, if the general feedback matches your advice from Vanguard you can at least take it easy and not feel rushed and overwhelmed. You can also post questions and concerns that you have about investments and at least get some additional information.[/QUOTE

I have an accountant.

Yes I may start a new thread and ask basic question . Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing