Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 08:00 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,167,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
What you are attempting to sell me, I'm not buying. If my net worth goes from 2 million to 10,000, I lost no matter if I needed it or not. If it recovered at some point to 2mm then I regained it but it was at some point lost.
Then I would suggest investing in bonds if volatility of your paper networth on any given day is so important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:07 PM

1,553 posts, read 925,236 times
Quote:
You are wrong the net worth is lost. There isn't some magical "it didn't happen because I still have 20 years" if I lost 400k+ in a couple of weeks I might lose a minute of sleep

If you're a long-term investor, you really shouldn't lose any sleep in a bear market regardless of the dollar amounts you're playing with.

Unless you foolishly panic and go to cash after a big drop, your losses are only on paper, as mizz said, and as you surely must know.

You still own the same number of shares as you did before the bear market began.

The market has always come back (in fairly short order, in fact) in the past, and there's simply no reason to believe that it won't rebound strongly from future bear markets and continue its relentless march higher...

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Then I would suggest investing in bonds if volatility of your paper networth on any given day is so important to you.
I don't need your suggestions either in the area of my investments, asset allocation or mystical fake losses in net worth

Old 01-10-2015, 08:13 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times
Quote:
It's only lost if it's realized.
It's funny how many people believe that.

If you buy stock and it loses value, you have a loss. It may be temporary, but it's a loss nonetheless. The old "it's only a loss if you sell" is utter nonsense.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
If you're a long-term investor, you really shouldn't lose any sleep in a bear market regardless of the dollar amounts you're playing with.

Unless you foolishly panic and go to cash after a big drop, your losses are only on paper, as mizz said, and as you surely must know.

You still own the same number of shares as you did before the bear market began.

The market has always come back (in fairly short order, in fact) in the past, and there's simply no reason to believe that it won't rebound strongly from future bear markets and continue its relentless march higher...

The paper loss it doesn't matter or it isn't real is bs. That's cool that markets eventually come back however you don't actually know if your investments would or how long it would take. I'm sure people loved 13+ years of 1% +/- real rate of return for the S&P 500, you know that was caused by many of those fake losses only on paper

Old 01-10-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post

If you buy stock and it loses value, you have a loss. It may be temporary, but it's a loss nonetheless. The old "it's only a loss if you sell" is utter nonsense.

I know people that are still holding on Enron positions. Their losses aren't real even though it says they are worthless

Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post

It is the truth. You own a piece of a company or a piece of a fund that owns pieces of companies, unless the drop in the market somehow changed the fundamental way those companies do business you didn't lose anything aside from a temporary change in the perceived value of that company.

Read the Buffett shareholder letter I linked. He agrees with Junkie and I.

I've noticed the people that see a stock as nothing more than a piece of paper that changes prices everyday seem to see it your way and the people that see a stock as partial ownership in a company see it my and Junkie's way.

I wonder why....

Old 01-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I know people that are still holding on Enron positions. Their losses aren't real even though it says they are worthless
When the company no longer exists it is real. That is a very different scenario. Owning part of nothing is still owning nothing.

Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
When the company no longer exists it is real. That is a very different scenario. Owning part of nothing is still owning nothing.

But they still own shares, nothing has been realized, they still get paid on occasion because they still have ownership

Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times
I have a close friend who invested about $85k (foolishly, granted) in a particular stock several years ago. His investment is now worth about $50. I will just let him know it's not a loss until he sells and I'm sure that will snap him out of his deep depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing