Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:38 PM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times

Advertisements

Do you consider buying a primary residence as investment or consumption or both?

And how do you record the purchase (and the subsequent principal/interest payments) in your household accounting book (asset = liability + net worth)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 10:47 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
Do you consider buying a primary residence as investment or consumption or both?

And how do you record the purchase (and the subsequent principal/interest payments) in your household accounting book (asset = liability + net worth)?
I don't own my home, so I'm probably biased. But I consider it consumption. It seems to me most financially successful people do not consider their homes to be investments.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:23 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:

I consider it both... I just sold my property and made almost 100% in 3-4 years!

Old 03-07-2015, 02:52 AM

106,674 posts, read 108,856,202 times
it was always a consumption item if i was consuming it.

if you really think about the whole process , even the money i got from the house is really going for a lifetime of rent now or if we buy a co-op ,housing expenses. the clock on your housing costs does not simply stop because you sold one and bought another or rented.

in fact if you buy a cheaper house that money you pocketed still has to go for a lifetime of expenses associated with that house so you never really get away from the consumption side of things as long as you need housing.

you either live in it consuming it , if you sell it and rent it pays rent going forward forever or buys a smaller house and a lifetime of expenses associated with that house.

in any even it usually results in it costing you money over a lifetime housing you.

the only question is which costs less , as in both cases renting or owning you will spend more in housing than any residual value eventually.

housing costs are a life long expense no matter how you try to cloud it with smoke and mirrors.

folks like to stop the clock when they sell. look how much we made ! but the reality is now set aside that money and use it for rent . it isn't going to last a lifetime i will bet .

did you downsize ? now that extra moiney left goes for maintance ,taxes ,expenses and renovations.

all of us , whether renter or owner will find at the end of a lifetime we are both in the negative numbers with our housing costs..

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-07-2015 at 03:56 AM..

Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 AM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Right now I consider my house a consumption item (and, boy, can it consume!). It will become an investment (probably a poor one) when the day comes that I decide to downsize and sell it.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:

I am in the process of buying a home right now but I don't consider it an "investment". Selling in the future isn't even on my radar. As for "consumption"...I realize there will be expenses I haven't had as a renter but I'm prepared for them. That's what my 'emergency fund' and home warranty is for. I expect I will consider it an "asset". Should I not?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:09 AM

995 posts, read 3,930,448 times
updated OP: The following is my real question.

If you consider it as a consumption (which I agree), do you treat it like a car in your financial book? To be specific, as an expense (gone asset) rather than an asset?

Old 03-07-2015, 07:10 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Its a consumption in my book

Old 03-07-2015, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 958 times
Your house should definitely be considered an investment, as you never know when you might need to sell. Don't purchase a home based strictly on price, but research things like popular school districts, rental composition in a neighborhood, and average days on market from list to sell.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:50 AM

472 posts, read 515,055 times
Quote:
I don't consider my home as an investment because as much as people think they 've made a profit when you consider the upkeep costs + taxes + interest (the sum that remains after you deduct for taxes) makes the home not a stellar investment. I really see the home as being an 'investment' when it becomes an inter-generational property - I'm thinking of multi-generations.

Quote:
(asset = liability + net worth)?
Did you mean to say net worth = assets - liability
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing