Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:10 PM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Which is certainly not the thing market tops and bubbles are made of. Everyone is negative on the outlook. That speaks volumes about where we stand.

Tops and bubbles are created when everyone only sees the good in the outlook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 AM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Which is certainly not the thing market tops and bubbles are made of. Everyone is negative on the outlook. That speaks volumes about where we stand.

Tops and bubbles are created when everyone only sees the good in the outlook
I remember 2007-2008 quite well. Sentiment was awful. Then 2009, the stock market reflected that. Great buying opportunity.
It was the run up that was fueled by irrational optimism. This run up was fueled by Fed policy IMO.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:44 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
I would disagree on the irrational optimism and partially disagree on the effect of the Fed policy. The policies did help businesses and the stock market but many companies also did very well at adapting to tough economic conditions. Lots of people lost jobs and equity but businesses continued to make profits and accrue cash. Low interest rates and bond returns pushed investments towards stocks but those investments were hardly irrational when companies coped and made good profits.

Old 06-06-2015, 04:20 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would disagree on the irrational optimism and partially disagree on the effect of the Fed policy. The policies did help businesses and the stock market but many companies also did very well at adapting to tough economic conditions. Lots of people lost jobs and equity but businesses continued to make profits and accrue cash. Low interest rates and bond returns pushed investments towards stocks but those investments were hardly irrational when companies coped and made good profits.
What fueled the market to the heights seen prior to the 2008-2009 crash?

How did the Fed's policy help the average business owner? Low interests rates make it more difficult for small business owner to secure funding.

Money gravitates to where there will be the best ROI relative to risk. That has been the stock market, as a direct result of Fed policy. This has come at the expense of capital investment, which helps to make businesses competitive. Eventually, something has to give. Corporations can't operate as an empty shell forever. Complacency is death in capitalism.

Corporations can make record profits when they can eliminate large chunks of their workforce, engage in aggressive stock buy backs programs in obvious bull markets, eliminate training and internal development, delay investment in physical assets, etc. This is not a sustainable long term strategy, for obvious reasons. Eventually, you have a return to "business as usual". Maybe that's why we are seeing, as unemployment drops, so too does labor productivity. This will have a direct impact on business as a whole, not just corporations.

As the economy starts looking better for the average American and wages rise, the stock market will probably seem more boring, and less rewarding.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,425,413 times
We are waiting for fed to raise interest rates. Right now the roomers are bad for market. Either stop threatening to raise it or raise it already.

We can go another 2 years without raising it as well.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:14 PM

bond yields have already been rising for months killing the bond market. most bond funds are at a loss including the interest at this point.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:06 PM

595 posts, read 560,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
bond yields have already been rising for months killing the bond market. most bond funds are at a loss including the interest at this point.
Will most likely generate capital inflows to equities. After interest rates have increased, it may be smart to increase allocation to bonds, maybe some commodities. Hopefully the yield curve will invert at some point in the next few years.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:23 PM

the money that fled to bonds is chicken money . they were either afraid of stocks or shifted because of stock valuations being to high. i don't see that money shifting back.

the problem this time is we never had high stock valuations and low rates together so the typical when bonds stumble we go to stocks may not happen. cash instruments may be the choice for those who leave bonds this time.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 PM

595 posts, read 560,257 times
Unless a 1937 happens again, I think there's a good chance capital will flow from bonds to equities. Bond market is the largest capital market of all. The bond market was 20 trillion in 1990 and increased to almost 40 trillion by 2010. All time interest rate lows means interest rates will likely increase. Some of that money will flow into money market. A significant portion will flow into equities as everyone and their mother knows the market returns an average of 7%.

The exception is if macroeconomic data falls short of expectation spinning the economy into a tailspin as the fed can't lower interest rates much to stimulate growth. Only then would significant cash move towards treasuries/money market/gold.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:53 AM

the difference now is risk. usually when money flowed away from bonds at these levels it was because stock valuations are always lower at these levels . not so today and both bond markets and stock markets are considered very risky at this point. never before have low rates and high valuations happened together .

no one can guess what is next but i think many are gun shy about equities at this point if they are hiding out in bonds and won't do the typical buying in., i think cash instruments will see a lot of the bond money if bonds continue getting pounded as they are. folks are getting more concerned with return of their money than return on their money .

being on the 401k committee at work i have never seen a bigger switch by emloyees to cash instruments as i have the last month. not a smart move for the long term.

a lot of baby boomers are getting ready to retire as well and are raising cash to do so. i have all my own 401k money being put in the stable value fund this year as that will be the cash we live on when i retire . i am retiring next month so that cash is going towards next years budget .

but with sooooo many baby boomers retiring quite a bit of market money may be channeled out for spending the immediate years.

i am sure hoping markets do well but i am planning around below average performance from both equities and bonds. if i am wrong it will be a nice upside surprise instead of having to slash budgets.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-12-2015 at 04:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing