Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 01:09 PM

18,548 posts, read 15,590,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it seems like something simple is being made out to be overly complicated here.
No, something that needs to be properly understood before having a discussion is being glossed over.

Of course, only OP can tell us why "percent of net worth in one's home" even matters in the first place. Once it is known what one really is trying to address, then it is possible to choose an appropriate measure such as (house value / net worth) * 100% or (home equity / net worth) * 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, something that needs to be properly understood before having a discussion is being glossed over.

Of course, only OP can tell us why "percent of net worth in one's home" even matters in the first place. Once it is known what one really is trying to address, then it is possible to choose an appropriate measure such as (house value / net worth) * 100% or (home equity / net worth) * 100%.
the guy wants your house value divided by your total assets. i know he wasnt perfectly clear but i figured it out. what he wants to assess is to compare where he stands vs other people. this is something simple being made complicated for no reason other than offer some kind of matter for debate.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:35 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,305 times
Let me please clarify- essentially a home is an asset class in a persons investment allocation. Actually you could classify the home as being a REIT without the income generation. So if you were to buy a REIT fund you may want to consider how much you already own in real estate with your home- obviously a REIT fund would consist mainly of commercial real estate.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what is considered the avg. percentage of the allocation dedicated to home ownership. As some posters stated that for them it is 40% for example. I know someone that is considering purchasing a new home without financing and the home will account for close to 60% of their net worth if they move forward. I was thinking the general rule of thumb would be something like 35-40% but wanted to ask on here in case someone actually new the specific number. I realize everyone has their own situation and goals but it just seemed to me that a lot of their net worth will be tied up in an illiquid investment. Thanks for all the responces

Old 06-01-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Let me please clarify- essentially a home is an asset class in a persons investment allocation. Actually you could classify the home as being a REIT without the income generation. So if you were to buy a REIT fund you may want to consider how much you already own in real estate with your home- obviously a REIT fund would consist mainly of commercial real estate.

I'm just trying to get a handle on what is considered the avg. percentage of the allocation dedicated to home ownership. As some posters stated that for them it is 40% for example. I know someone that is considering purchasing a new home without financing and the home will account for close to 60% of their net worth if they move forward. I was thinking the general rule of thumb would be something like 35-40% but wanted to ask on here in case someone actually new the specific number. I realize everyone has their own situation and goals but it just seemed to me that a lot of their net worth will be tied up in an illiquid investment. Thanks for all the responces
so are you looking for home value as % of net worth or home value as % of total assets?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:25 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,236,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Just curious of what percentage is the average for house as net worth? Example is 40% the norm? etc.
I think your question should be better defined because there are so many factors that play into someone's net worth, such as if they are married/filing jointly, have two sources of income, their age, location of real estate, whether you're valuing their estimated value of the house versus the equity they have on the note or mortgage, and etc.

For me and my wife, we are in our early 30s and live in the poor side of a high real estate valued region of Newport Beach, Ca, my wife is by far the breadwinner of taxable income, and the note we owe on our home is pretty much 40% of our combined net worth.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:38 PM

I think its a pretty useless ratio. its one of those things that will naturally improve over time as your overall net worth increases. the wealthier you become, the less significant of an asset your home is.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I saw chart that had house as about 15-25% of net wealth for Americans since 2000 due to changes n the house market and stock prices. For me, my primary house is about 10% of my net worth.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:38 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,688,527 times
I think the average is 0% because from what I read, the average American has more debt than equity on their houses.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:05 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
depends on age , you can easily see that in the census financial data.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,872,955 times
CA BAY Area middle class family. $1,000,000 home
$1,000,000 in investments
Small pension.
Home is 50% of assets.

Indiana middle class family. $100,000 home
$1,000,000 in investments.
Small pension
Home is 9% of assets.

Hmmmm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing