Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 04:54 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
I dropped EJ many years ago after high transaction costs turned me sour. Since I make my own investment decisions it is much more effective for me to use Fidelity and Vanguard.

Yes...I'm all for this, BUT...what about acct's that must have a broker (403b)? I'm not sure about my Roth Ira. Then I need someone. EJ guy wants to roll over 403b (not investing in now) into another fund.

For the accts I need a broker, the basic expense is what it is. I have American Funds now as it is and my TSA will not allow no-load funds. They have a specific list of funds I can use.
Do you own Class A of AF's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40+ View Post
I've actually been researching this company to become one of their Financial Advisors. They are a unique company in that they have just 2 person offices in the local community rather than big fancy offices in the downtown areas.

They have great morals/values and want to do what's best for the client. They want to build a relationship with you. They will not put you into anything too risky.

As for fees...well, that's how they get paid. Is it better to invest in no load mutual funds or discount brokerage firms? Yes, of course, but if you sit around and do nothing that's far worse than paying the small fees to buy their recommendations.

Happy Investing!
There are other funds that do just as good as AF's but without the load. I have AF's Class A shares for my Roth IRA. I am not sure if I want to keep putting more money into a loaded fund or move out.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
Are you no longer employed by the provider of the 403b? If not, you can simply roll your 403b over to a traditional IRA with a DISCOUNT broker like Scottrade, TDAmeritrade, etc. You can move your Roth (wherever it is) there as well. Then you'll be free to invest in low-cost options like no-load funds, ETFs, whatever you want, and not get killed in fees & commissions like you will with ANY full-service brokerage like Edward Jones.

Or am I misunderstanding your situation?
You also cannot buy American Funds without a load directly.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
I have an account with them and I like the rep very much. I think he is knowledgeable and has integrity. But, in the back of my mind I always remind myself that he is a commissioned salesman who needs to get me to move my money over to him so he can make a living.
I give him a portion of my financial picture and let him do his analysis. Then I consider his suggestions and give him a portion to invest because I think he deserves to make some money for his time and effort, but I make up my own mind on the part he doesn't know about.
They will offer you what makes them the most money, remember that.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
The funds the American Express rep tends to steer you into are generally very high fees with an average return rating. The tend to be load funds, with high expense ration, and a 12-1b fee.

I recently switched over to TD Ameritrade. They have excellent online research tools (structured for the beginner to tools for the expert). They have a lot of No transaction fee mutual funds. I used their research tool to get a list of no transaction fee funds, no load funds, low expense funds, higher than average return (3, 5, and 10yr), reasonable risk level, 4 or 5 star morningstar rating (long-term). Have come out much further ahead with them over American Express.

Indirect anwer to original post. If using a broker I probably would go with Edward Jones, but with the online tools available now I would just go with TD Ameritrade.
Did you have a Roth IRA with EJ? The best person to manage your money is actually YOU! Good job on that.
Tradeking has the lowest fees but not sure about Mutual Funds.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 PM

EJ's online interface is not that great even with the new upgrade. Can't really tell how much you are up or down after commision.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Any FA that works on commision will tell you what YOU want to hear and what makes them the MOST money from you.

The best FA is YOU! Do your homework. Its not that hard to learn. That expert guy with 20+ experience in Wall Street is no better then you.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:31 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Any FA that works on commision will tell you what YOU want to hear and what makes them the MOST money from you.

The best FA is YOU! Do your homework. Its not that hard to learn. That expert guy with 20+ experience in Wall Street is no better then you.
I'd have to disagree with this. Most people are morons when they have money to invest and its not for a lack of simple knowledge. A good financial advisor whether from Wall Street or Main Street will beat most amateur investors by simply controlling their emotions better. Add on top of that how many non-sense strategies run of the mill investors follow and I'd say a majority of people need some advice. I won't go so far as to say they need someone like EJ or a Wall Street backed advisor, but they need someone to work with on a plan to follow and then they need to follow it. Most DIY investors can do this for a little bit and then they get off the track. If for nothing else they need an advisor to at least point out to them that they are going off the track on a regular basis.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I'd have to disagree with this. Most people are morons when they have money to invest and its not for a lack of simple knowledge. A good financial advisor whether from Wall Street or Main Street will beat most amateur investors by simply controlling their emotions better. Add on top of that how many non-sense strategies run of the mill investors follow and I'd say a majority of people need some advice. I won't go so far as to say they need someone like EJ or a Wall Street backed advisor, but they need someone to work with on a plan to follow and then they need to follow it. Most DIY investors can do this for a little bit and then they get off the track. If for nothing else they need an advisor to at least point out to them that they are going off the track on a regular basis.
They are morons because they don't take the time to learn how money works. Even Warren Buffett has been wrong at times.

There is no guarantee of anything for the future. The disclaimer says that.

You and I can control the emotions. There is enough free advice and tools on the Internet right now for you and I to manage our own money.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:38 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
Had a meeting with a local Edward Jones rep today to take over my current accounts as a broker/adviser. Good man, but wondered if anyone had any feedback/ feelings on this company.

Edward Jones
A relative of mine had an IRA with Edward Jones.
Many decades from now, when you pass away, E. Jones will have all sorts of requirements and paper work and phone calls and delays to let your beneficiaries get the funds. Otherwise they are fine, they send the statement every month and do not try to sell you things.
If a broker is going to try to be a salesman, then I walk out the door.

If you are going to pay for advice, I'd stick with a major firm like Charles Schwab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing