Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times

Advertisements

Be sure you know the difference between trading and investing in stocks.

Also look at E*Trade and Schwab. They have training courses.

If you are trading - hold stocks for short period of time - you want to limit each trade to not more than 10% of your trading fund and pick a price to get out of the trade. Both a loss price and a profit price. Go slow. The risks can be high. Do not use margin. Do not become over confident if your first few trades are winners.
You will need some luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 02:48 PM

879 posts, read 1,962,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The other poster probably copied and pasted some info he read about day traders who have suffered at the speed of program trading. Day traders try to profit on very small price movements and might lose out to program trading that can execute a lot faster.
I day traded for a living for seven years and my previous answer still applies: Different trades, different time frames, etc. My 2-hour day trades were like long-term investments compared to the scalps the machines go after. The only real effect HFT had on my trading was it added a little extra volatility, but that worked in my favor as often as it hurt me, so it all evened out.

You're right in that most day traders do fail and not because the big, bad machines are out to get them.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:55 PM

290 posts, read 339,533 times
TD Ameritrade is a good choice for new traders, download their Thinkorswim platform.

I recommend reading Market Wizards, it is one of the best books ever written on trading: http://www.amazon.com/Market-Wizards.../dp/0887306101

Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 PM

290 posts, read 339,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
To be a successful trader you need to understand technical analysis. I've been doing it for a very long time and have had great success. I would recommend reading this book, even professionals have referred to it as the bible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073...ilpage_o00_s00
Murphy isn't bad, but it is relatively basic. If you haven't read this you might like it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/013705...j0L&ref=plSrch

Old 09-18-2015, 11:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabii View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have been reading a lot of articles and learning about the stocks and shares. I am very new to Trading world
A good basic book to start with is "How to Make Money in Stocks" by William O'Neil. O'Neill's company also publishes the Investor's Business Daily(IBD) newspaper and runs the investors.com website. I suggest getting the free two week trial for Investors Business Daily-search for it, its widely advertised.

Investors.com

IBD has many resources for stock selection. For example the Monday and Wednesday editions have the IBD 50 and the Friday edition has "Your Weekly Review" .

Another way to find stocks is to watch the companies you are familiar with. If you know cloud computing maybe you could follow CRM or if you are in the pharmaceutical business you can follow companies like JNJ or GILD.

For daily market news use you can look at:

MarketWatch - Stock Market Quotes, Business News, Financial News

Bloomberg Business

Global Markets News | Reuters.com

Even if you do not have cable you can watch the Bloomberg channel live online. Their Asia feed seems to have more sophisticated analysis in the evenings.

Live TV - Bloomberg Business

Nightly Business Report is on public television around dinner time and is a quick 25 minute summary of business news(general stock news-not specific trading info)

Nightly Business Report | Produced by CNBC

For free charts:

FINVIZ.com - Stock Screener

BigCharts: Stock Charts, Screeners, Interactive Charting and Research Tools

StockCharts.com - Simply the Web's Best Financial Charts

https://www.barchart.com/

Another good book for beginners is The Right Stock at the Right Time by Larry Williams. Its definitely a bit dated but is a good introduction to the concepts of cycles and sentiment.

For an advanced analysis of stocks and trading entry points you can look at Carolyn Boroden's fibonacciqueen.com website and sign up for her free video of the day. She also wrote a book on Fibonacci trading. Her work seems to be based on Robert Miner's Dynamic Trading and Bryce Gilmore's Geometry of the Markets.(A great book but not for beginners)

Tom McClellan's free weekly chart is worth looking at too:

https://www.mcoscillator.com/learnin.../weekly_chart/

The are all kinds of videos to learn from.

From beginning technical analysis:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22m...odYbkLqg&dpr=1

http://bit.ly/1QNp5Hw

https://www.google.com/search?num=50...94.pcbA5OyjG90

to advanced pattern trading:

http://bit.ly/1W9BqbW

http://bit.ly/1PaLZYg

Finally its very important in trading to control your risk and manage your emotions. Mark Douglas wrote two excellent books on trading psychology, The Disciplined Trader and Trading in the Zone.

http://bit.ly/1FXigxs

Old 09-19-2015, 06:24 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
I day traded for a living for seven years and my previous answer still applies: Different trades, different time frames, etc. My 2-hour day trades were like long-term investments compared to the scalps the machines go after. The only real effect HFT had on my trading was it added a little extra volatility, but that worked in my favor as often as it hurt me, so it all evened out.

You're right in that most day traders do fail and not because the big, bad machines are out to get them.
Day traders fail because of human error (or lack of an understanding of trading).

It's your emotions (be it greed taking too big a risk, or fear causing you to bail when you should hold) that betray you.

You can insist you have your emotions in check, only to watch them crop up at the worst possible time.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:50 AM

8,066 posts, read 12,779,194 times
I trade the 6E futures contract exclusively very short term (avg trade 8 minutes) and I have no problems with the algo's. I use the Depth of Market and tape in my trading and they are easy to spot; I am not at all concerned about algo's. You have to use the right trading tools though since most standard platform dom and tapes are basic.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:51 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArm View Post
Traders aren't competing against machines ....

Bwahhhhaaaaaaa........

Guess you haven't been in the markets for the last couple of years as a trader.

OP.....if you are serious about learning the trading world, I would suggest that you take a free trial at Tide Traders. Rick caters to young (time wise), inexperienced traders, publishes a litany of very helpful videos on everything from money management (how to handle your "nut") to watch lists to S&P trades to technical analysis education. He goes very slowly, documents everything, publishes his trades before he puts them on so YOU can be first and goes out of his way to educate inexperienced newbies. It is a great resource for traders and exactly the kind of thing you want to expose yourself to. He isn't "selling" anything, bragging about how he made millions, promising you that you can become wealthy, nor making claims which most trading sites make about what superstars they are. He isn't hustling a "system"; just being one of us.

Old 09-20-2015, 03:32 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Bwahhhhaaaaaaa........

Guess you haven't been in the markets for the last couple of years as a trader.

OP.....if you are serious about learning the trading world, I would suggest that you take a free trial at Tide Traders. Rick caters to young (time wise), inexperienced traders, publishes a litany of very helpful videos on everything from money management (how to handle your "nut") to watch lists to S&P trades to technical analysis education. He goes very slowly, documents everything, publishes his trades before he puts them on so YOU can be first and goes out of his way to educate inexperienced newbies. It is a great resource for traders and exactly the kind of thing you want to expose yourself to. He isn't "selling" anything, bragging about how he made millions, promising you that you can become wealthy, nor making claims which most trading sites make about what superstars they are. He isn't hustling a "system"; just being one of us.
I've been actively trading for over a decade and I agree with Long Arm. In the end it really doesn't matter. You trade based on price movement. Whether it's a bunch of retail investors buying XYZ or some automated trading algorithm buying XYZ, it doesn't matter.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:01 PM

54 posts, read 78,741 times
Thank you everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing