Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,057,154 times

Advertisements

yes $25.00 "Extra" Human fee + Normal Fees

Investing Costs: Charles Schwab: Fees and Minimums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 03:51 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,910,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Hate to ask more stupid questions but the person who scheduled my consult with the broker said he can do the transactions for me. As I'm new to the site that would be very helpful but is there a fee for that?
What transactions do you need to do?

I could just post the 4 - 5 steps to completing a transaction on-line and you could just copy that.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:50 AM

16,378 posts, read 10,517,748 times
I have a number of accounts that have a number of funds in each. So I will need to sell them, then purchase new ones. At $25 a pop that's crazy. I think I can learn to do this but again having never done it if you could help that would be great.

Little things like what happens if the fund I'm about to purchase increases in value between the time my sell goes through and the purchase is made? How do I account for this?

Old 02-23-2016, 05:17 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,057,154 times
If you buy stuff on Amazon website, you can buy/sell ETF/MFunds just as easily yourself, on Schwabs Website.

They will even walk you thru what you need to do if you get stuck, from the 800 number,

You can Sell it, put in in "Cash" (money market) for day or two, then Next Day Buy something Else. (Note there are settlement periods, rules that go into effect, but if you are Sell/Buy/Hold they would not effect you.)

When you Sell you will get a transaction report, it will tell you how much you got, There will be transaction fees/SEC fees that get applied over night. So your best bet, is sell it, wait till next market day and buy something. So you know what you have to spend.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:54 AM

5,059 posts, read 6,370,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have a number of accounts that have a number of funds in each. So I will need to sell them, then purchase new ones. At $25 a pop that's crazy. I think I can learn to do this but again having never done it if you could help that would be great.

Little things like what happens if the fund I'm about to purchase increases in value between the time my sell goes through and the purchase is made? How do I account for this?
I wouldn't pay them $25 a trade. That's not really what Schwab's about-it's about minimal advice, reasonable self-help tools, and minimal (but not lowest) commissions.

Once you 'sell', you get cash nearly immediately-usually within a few seconds if the security has high volume or a day for a mutual fund. You can't do anything with it for several days (like move it to a different account or out of Schwab) while it settles, but as was just said, you CAN buy within a day or so.

When you go to 'buy' a security or fund, you will see a total that says 'cash available for trading'-what you can spend, RIGHT THEN, and the current price. There is also a handy calculator there. Calculate how much you can buy, and enter the amount.

It has an intermediate screen that shows how much you are about to spend (estimated) and asks if you want to proceed. If you proceed, the order is filled at the market rate plus the commission. Generally orders fill in seconds or less for securities or a day for a fund.

It's very simple. I'd try it with one of your smaller positions and you'll become comfortable the first time.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:35 PM

Yeah I have no doubt it's easy, it's just that unlike Amazon I'm talking much larger numbers. I got my answer on the price fluctuation, sell first and then a day later buy. Just hope the market does not spike the day I'm on the sidelines.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I made the right move to go to Schwab.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:44 PM

I had my consultation, it was great. Big fan of Schwab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing