Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,582,975 times

Advertisements

I have been there a few times in the last few years. One time, because it was right next to another store that I was going to, and another time, the item I was looking for was sold out in Wal-Mart and Target.

K-Mart, in comparison to Wal-Mart and Target is like night and day. Very few customers and the product quality are not known to be as good as Target and prices are higher than Wal-Mart. With so few people shopping there (I have been to different stores in different locations in the past few years), how much longer can it stay in business?

It's part of Sears. I don't shop at Sears much. Are they doing much better to sustain K-Mart's performance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 04:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
I can't help you with that, our only nearby K-Mart (Bellevue, WA) closed up 15 years ago, and that building sat vacant, taking down many of the other businesses around it until about 2 years ago when Walmart turned it into a Neighborhood Market. Now it's thriving with a lot of new shops and restaurants, all remodeled facade, and always busy.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 12,813,893 times
Not long. Stock Quote SHLD Sears Holdings Corporation

KMart stores are doing better than the Sears stores "only" losing half as much.

We have a KMart store in town and I NEVER see many cars in the lot. The few times I have been in there were only two registers open. I don't know how they can keep the place open.

Would I short it? Nope. Not enough downside to make it worthwhile.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,582,975 times
Why don't they change strategy? Why don't they evaluate what they're doing wrong in comparison to Target/Wal-Mart and revise their way of doing business?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM

800 posts, read 1,298,884 times
the only kmart i used to frequent was literally in walking distant, so if i needed something quick i would go to it over driving to target. customer service i horrible.... there was never a noticeable amount of people in it yet somehow the lines would take forever to get through since there was only ever 1 lane out of a dozen open. the other kmarts i've seen in the area, 2 i think, have shut down already.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,319,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Why don't they change strategy? Why don't they evaluate what they're doing wrong in comparison to Target/Wal-Mart and revise their way of doing business?
It seems so simple. I'm a huge fan of Walmart. I think it's on par with Target on just about everything, just cheaper. Every time I go to Walmart I find myself wondering why I don't shop there more often. Only downside is their cashiers seem to be slower than molasses. Kmart should mimic everything they're doing

Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 PM

242 posts, read 244,946 times
Lol I didn't even know Kmart still existed? Does caldor?

Old 03-22-2016, 07:21 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
I question if they even can afford to do so at this point.

Just like Sears, they're plagued with dirty, dingy stores filled with products no one wants. Fixing them would be a huge undertaking. Going into one of their stores is like stepping back in time to 1993.

When i was grad school, the town I lived in had no Target and no Wal Mart but did have a K Mart. I still didn't shop there. The few times I went in, it didn't seem like anyone else bothered to shop there either.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:02 PM

296 posts, read 319,795 times
Sears, KMart, JCPenny, etc will all end up dying soon enough. Getting killed by better stores and online shopping.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,122,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heterojunction View Post
Sears, KMart, JCPenny, etc will all end up dying soon enough. Getting killed by better stores and online shopping.
Which "better" stores? None of the brick and mortar stores seem to be doing well.

I don't understand how Staples survives. The stores are huge with almost no shoppers. The clothing stores seem to mostly attract teen age girls. I suspect the rough economic start has changed how many millennials look at fashion and preening. Only Kohls seems to do well but it is hard to see how they make money with sales on top of sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing