Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2016, 01:36 PM

18,092 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

I treat 401K contributions as "mandatory" since they're taken out automatically and I have to contribute to get the company match. It works for me to think of them in that vein. Net income is what I then have to work with, and where I accomplish discretionary savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 01:40 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Maxing 401k is manditory for me as well but I still count it as savings because that's exactly what it is. Whatever works for you but I still find it strange not to call it what it is

Old 04-24-2016, 01:48 PM

For me, psychologically, I need to put 401K in a whole different bucket. And again, at the end of the day, who cares what I call it or how I consider it, as long as I have it during retirement years and I save additional monies to other accounts for shorter term needs.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:16 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Latest trend is blame the Fed.
If the FED would be kind enough to telegraph its moves far enough in advance to let everyone react evenly to them, then it would be really nice.

As it is guessing witch way the market will be manipulated is problematic.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:19 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
If the FED would be kind enough to telegraph its moves far enough in advance to let everyone react evenly to them, then it would be really nice.

They will

Interest rates will be targeted.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:59 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,829,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
For me, psychologically, I need to put 401K in a whole different bucket. And again, at the end of the day, who cares what I call it or how I consider it, as long as I have it during retirement years and I save additional monies to other accounts for shorter term needs.
Because you are a hypocrite. You are one of the people that BASH me for "calling the stock gains" something "else", other than the "corporate profits" that they are supposedly. You BASH me for calling the gains Central Banker influenced and created, rather than corporation created.

Savings = The amount of money you have LEFT after you spend on required (needs) and recreational (wants) expenses.

Period. Just because you chose to have a portion of your savings in a 401k rather than putting them all in a bank account, or through an index fund directly, etc., doesn't mean they aren't SAVINGS.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Because you are a hypocrite. You are one of the people that BASH me for "calling the stock gains" something "else", other than the "corporate profits" that they are supposedly. You BASH me for calling the gains Central Banker influenced and created, rather than corporation created.

Savings = The amount of money you have LEFT after you spend on required (needs) and recreational (wants) expenses.

Period. Just because you chose to have a portion of your savings in a 401k rather than putting them all in a bank account, or through an index fund directly, etc., doesn't mean they aren't SAVINGS.
Simply put, you don't have the ability to distinguish between one poster and another. It's kind of hilarious but also sad. I've never had a conversation with you or anyone in which I've ever discussed any of the things that you claim. In fact I've never posted about corporate profits, central bank(s) or any of that. I've gone on record that I don't understand how all of these various entities work and operate, so why would I be discussing them in the first place? I wouldn't and don't. Please take your paranoid diatribes and ad hominem attacks elsewhere.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:53 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
I'm guessing over the long term it'll go up.

Over the short term I have no idea, and don't really care.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:40 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,385,439 times
Quote:
I'm guessing over the long term it'll go up.
How long is long term?
Quote:

Over the short term I have no idea, and don't really care.
How short is short term?

I see the existing conditions persisting for decades barring an unforeseen change. Stagnant growth with a chance of sever crash.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:39 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,558,340 times
Quote:
How long is long term?
How short is short term?

I see the existing conditions persisting for decades barring an unforeseen change. Stagnant growth with a chance of sever crash.
I believe growth will continue to stagnate till the end of this decade.

A crash?? I'm not so sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing