Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 02:40 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

Finally some sanity from folks

They had enough of this nonsense!!

Quote:
Three recurring laments heard in the corridors of the Marriner Eccles building are why, with stocks at record highs after levitating in more or less a straight line for the past 7 years, i) has the economic recovery not been stronger, ii) has inflation not been higher, and iii) have consumer spending and sentiment never really recovered. A just released Gallup survey may have the answer.

According to a poll of over 1,000 American adults, even with the Dow Jones industrial average near its record high, only slightly more than half of Americans (52%) say they currently have money in the stock market, matching the lowest ownership rate in Gallup's 19-year trend.

Stocks should be left to central banks and big boys.

But if you wanna stick around just S&P 500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 03:08 PM

106,718 posts, read 108,913,061 times
good luck growing money avoiding investing or trying to stick to just real estate . you better earn a ton of money in your accumulation stage so your money does not have to work for you ..

so far even a conservative portfolio like a 50/50 mix has never lost a penny over any 10 or 20 year time frame and in fact has grown nice money over most of those time frames . some were sluggish but they still made money

Old 04-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
good luck growing money avoiding investing or trying to stick to just real estate . you better earn a ton of money in your accumulation stage .
O mathjak!!

Why are you so negative on real estate??

It may outperform stocks for a while!

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,995,858 times
Without knowing what percentage of US adults are invested in ANYTHING, that poll doesn't say much. A high percentage of Americans have little or no savings, period, much less any investments. I'd bet that a significant percentage of the "no stocks" folks in that poll also own no real estate and no bonds, and don't even have much cash tucked away for a rainy day. They're not specifically avoiding stocks, they're avoiding savings/investing in general.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
O mathjak!!

Why are you so negative on real estate??

It may outperform stocks for a while!

negative ? i had multiple 7 figures worth . but there is no guarantee one particular asset class will perform well enough for you to meet your goals .

my more typical real estate holdings were blown away by my market returns over my time frame . the big money was made in special situation real estate where most of the money was made on the buy , that is a professional game .

if you are picking one asset class to bet your entire future outcome on you are making the riskiest bet of all .

Old 04-21-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Without knowing what percentage of US adults are invested in ANYTHING, that poll doesn't say much. A high percentage of Americans have little or no savings, period, much less any investments. I'd bet that a significant percentage of the "no stocks" folks in that poll also own no real estate and no bonds, and don't even have much cash tucked away for a rainy day. They're not specifically avoiding stocks, they're avoiding savings/investing in general.
You're right about that.

There are obviously some people with potentially zero savings but i don't think they are significant.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 3,759,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
You're right about that.

There are obviously some people with potentially zero savings but i don't think they are significant.
Think again, it is significant.

1 in 3 Americans Has No Retirement Savings

62% of Americans Have Less Than $1000 in Savings
http://www.gobankingrates.com/saving...-survey-finds/

Old 04-21-2016, 03:28 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,001 times
If the only way to make 'money grow' in an economy is by putting it in the stock market. . . .

Then THAT right there is a serious sign that something is wrong with the economy and one should put their money in a safer place.

There is an economic storm coming and it is literally going to send the entire world into financial chaos.

Enjoy.

Old 04-21-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Think again, it is significant.

1 in 3 Americans Has No Retirement Savings
1/2 the country has no savings , not just no retirement savings

Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Damn!!!

So many bearish people

And they say i'm negative.

I'm Sammy Sunshine positive compared to these guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing