Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,134,928 times

Advertisements

I have a REIT in a Vanguard Roth account and so far, it is outperforming my target fund which includes total stock U.S. and international and total bond U.S. and international.

Taxes are irrelevant because it is in a Roth. I like the dividends and use them to buy more and more of the REIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 05:26 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,164,572 times
Que MJ and his dividend speech.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 AM

106,565 posts, read 108,713,667 times
He can do a search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:12 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Que MJ and his dividend speech.
Usually but trusts like mlp and reits are a little different. They are pass through so dividends don't come out of stock price exactly

It's like how a rental income doesn't determine house value. You aren't selling the "doors and windows" to generate an income. Still related since a good house is worth more and can command higher rents but example fits?

Old 07-13-2016, 02:37 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
O is just getting ridiculous. It is yielding 3.5% now. I'm almost thinking I should sell out and get back in when it comes back to earth. Seems like people are really chasing yield right now.
Less today (like 3.3%). I don't know much if anything about REITS (have never bought one) - but shouldn't real estate yield more - perhaps a lot more - than things like utilities or muni bonds? FWIW - I wouldn't just sell out on some arbitrary day at some arbitrary price (unless I was extraordinarily gifted in calling market moves in advance - which I'm not). Because interest rates can continue to go down - and the manic search for yield can continue (although I can't predict the top or when it might occur). If I owned something like this (I don't) - I would trade it on the basis of technicals (which is how I trade some other things). But that may not be your cup of tea. Still - I think it's dangerous to dump things just because you think they're overvalued.

Note that the XLU (utilities) - which I own - is yielding about 3.1% today. And the muni market has really gone nuts in the last month (I bought some Massachusetts GOs about a month ago at about 3.1% - and they're priced to yield maybe 2.9% today - which is a pretty big move in muni-land). I think we're in a blow-off phase with fixed income now - but who knows how far it will go? Robyn

Old 07-13-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
This got me curious about correlations between the Vanguard REIT index fund and the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund...
Why would you care about correlations? Seems to me that when things blow up - almost everything goes down (except perhaps some bonds at some times - maybe something like gold at times - and - of course - cash). If an economy blows up and there's a recession - it seems to me it will push down the price of stocks and real estate. Also - real estate tenants may stop paying rent - or want better deals.

I remembered why I never bought a REIT. It's because of the possible (although perhaps remote) tax consequences of holding them in IRAs:

REITS and UBIT Tax | The Self Directed IRA Handbook

It's why I've never owned something like a commodity ETF (which I've found more tempting at times than REITs) in my IRAs either. Life is too short to worry about getting bitten in the you-know-where by taxes. Robyn

Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why would you care about correlations? Seems to me that when things blow up - almost everything goes down (except perhaps some bonds at some times - maybe something like gold at times - and - of course - cash). If an economy blows up and there's a recession - it seems to me it will push down the price of stocks and real estate. Also - real estate tenants may stop paying rent - or want better deals.

I remembered why I never bought a REIT. It's because of the possible (although perhaps remote) tax consequences of holding them in IRAs:

REITS and UBIT Tax | The Self Directed IRA Handbook

It's why I've never owned something like a commodity ETF (which I've found more tempting at times than REITs) in my IRAs either. Life is too short to worry about getting bitten in the you-know-where by taxes. Robyn
that's not an issue in Roths. I hold all of my REITs in Roths.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
that's not an issue in Roths. I hold all of my REITs in Roths.
Why do you think it's not an issue in Roths? I could be wrong - but tend to doubt it. Can you find a link? Note that the UBIT is a tax owed by the IRA. Robyn

Old 07-13-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Why do you think it's not an issue in Roths? I could be wrong - but tend to doubt it. Can you find a link? Note that the UBIT is a tax owed by the IRA. Robyn
Read after the "however" in the link you posted.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Read after the "however" in the link you posted.
And after the "however" part - read this part:

Despite the general application of exception to UBIT/UDFI tax for REITs, a REIT may be operated in a manner that will not allow for qualified dividends to be paid and therefore income from the REIT would not be exempt from UBIT/UDFI tax. If you’re investing into a REIT with an IRA, make sure you know whether the REIT intends to be exempt from UBIT/UDFI tax or not. As discussed, most will be exempt from UBIT/UDFI tax but some REITs may choose to operate in ways that will not qualify for the exception. Because UBIT/UDFI tax is about 39% at $10,000 of annual income this is something every IRA should understand before investing into a REIT.

Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing