Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:35 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

What if the manager of the funds change? Megellen Fund (fidelity) tanked after Peter Lynch left. Index funds do not have that risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 PM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What if the manager of the funds change? Megellen Fund (fidelity) tanked after Peter Lynch left. Index funds do not have that risk.
Magellan was the very first mutual fund I ever purchased (literally a week or 2 before the '87 crash). I kept it going for some number of years and eventually sold it. I don't remember what I put those monies into after that but I do remember Magellan was the hot diggity at the time.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:14 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
That's why I like Dodge & Cox and American Funds (if you can avoid paying the load and get a reasonably priced share class). These funds are team managed and the turnover on their teams is typically low.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Some fair points. I think just screening out the average or above average cost funds weeds out most of the bad funds. Actively managed funds with low expenses have a decent chance of beating the index.

I'm thinking of "A" or cheaper share classes of American Funds.
Dodge & Cox Funds (second cheapest after Vangaurd)
Several different Vanguard funds.
I think the best bet at positive alpha is to invest with DFA funds. They've successfully implemented factor & smart beta funds both domestically and internationally. The problem is DFA won't take on an individual investor; their channel is via financial advisors, who will take a piece of the action.

Of the funds mere mortals can get into, I like the AQR funds -- they approximate DFA and you can buy them retail. Plus, Cliff Asness is one of the brightest quants around.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:43 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
why does one insist you have to buy and die with one fund ? in 30 years i never ever saw any reason to hold one fund for life nor have i ever .

why should one of the most important aspects of our financial lives have to be so simplified that all you can buy is a fund and keep it forever . it makes no sense .

i wouldn't even do that indexing for best results .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-07-2017 at 03:16 AM..

Old 06-07-2017, 08:47 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Quote:
Life is filled with risks and evaluating and adjusting is part of the deal. What if one of your favorite financial gurus at AQR funds dies tomorrow? All investors take risks.

One can certainly do an all-index portfolio and quite successfully, but my point is that categorically rejecting managed funds from consideration as part of a mix seems short-sighted to me. IF a managed fund is doing well isn't that something to consider?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:53 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quant funds have well defined rules and algorithms that don't change as a result of a fund manager change.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,190,026 times
That's because the market is completely irrational.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:59 AM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Life is filled with risks and evaluating and adjusting is part of the deal. What if one of your favorite financial gurus at AQR funds dies tomorrow? All investors take risks.

One can certainly do an all-index portfolio and quite successfully, but my point is that categorically rejecting managed funds from consideration as part of a mix seems short-sighted to me. IF a managed fund is doing well isn't that something to consider?
Why? If index investing yields rewards equal to managed fund with less risk and cost why mess with it?

Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Because some managed funds can exceed the index's with less risk .

Contra as my own example has a lower beta than the s&p 500 and has beaten it for years .

Managed funds let you weight your portfolio differently at times taking less risk while improving gains portfolio wise even if that fund does not beat its index since you may not hold it beyond its usefulness .

20% of the stock budget in fidelity high yield returned 19% with 1/2 the volatility of the s&p 500 fund . so swapping funds can definitely pay off . so there was definitely value added not just sitting in a total market fund in that case just because that is what you own .

especially bond funds where over overwhelmingly managed beads indexing .

In my opinion managed funds work best in managed portfolio's that are dynamic not buy and die.

as i showed above compared to buying a total market fund the dynamic insight model was more than 300k ahead over the last 30 years ..

there are so many newsletters that have done this for decades successfully . it is nothing you have to even do yourself .

fidelity investor , fidelity insight ,fidelity monitor .. now fidelity monitor and insight merged ..... there are vanguard ones too but i don't follow them .

i do keep about 25% of my growth model in ivv and vxf . everything else is managed fidelity funds . but i do run 3 different models based on time frame so over all index funds are about 10-12% of assets.

45/40 /15 overall

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-07-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing