Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 08:54 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,226,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
What you don't understand is that no one really understands the economy and the stock market. If you knew anything about complexity theory, you would see why..
I don't have to understand the market to use it to my benefit. Complaining is usually less profitable than riding an obvious trend. I don't have to like or agree with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:23 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I don't understand the complexity of modern car design, the computer controls, the ABS braking and much of the engineering is beyond my level of knowledge. I still manage to drive my car on a regular basis with virtually no issues.

I understand the car can fail with a blowout or some other major event. I have still been able to drive many hundreds of thousands of miles with virtually no issues. I walk down the street with the knowledge that a brick could come loose and kill me. When it comes to investing, we try to understand the risks, rewards and acceptable strategies. You are on a losing path with returns that will not support rising costs in the future. You are on a secure downward path. Now why are you posting? You are unwilling to learn or to change your opinions and your advice for others is nothing but complaints.
There are experts who completely understand everything about your car.

There are NO experts who completely understand the economy.

So you missed the whole point.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
There are experts who completely understand everything about your car.

There are NO experts who completely understand the economy.

So you missed the whole point.
Your points are easy to miss. I do understand you want to argue endlessly. Many of us are here to improve our understanding of investing. You seem enjoy nothing in life.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Your points are easy to miss. I do understand you want to argue endlessly. Many of us are here to improve our understanding of investing. You seem enjoy nothing in life.
I don't know what enjoying things in life has to do with it.

You are here to learn that the stock market always goes up, the experts have things under control, and there is no real risk.

You are here to learn that the market will not crash and stay down for 20 years. That can't happen, because the experts have figured out ways to prevent it.

So you will just keep on learning that, and never trying to look at alternative ideas.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:53 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,224,237 times
Quote:
https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/201...s-still-exist/

"If central banks can produce zero interest rates simultaneously with a massive increase in indebtedness, why can’t they keep equity prices far above the values supported by fundamentals? As central banks have learned that they can rig financial asset prices to the delight of everyone in the market, in what sense does capitalism, free markets, and price discovery exist? Have we entered a new kind of economic system?"

Good4Nothin, the FED made a deal with the devil. In 2001 the Business Cycle ended. Growth or inflation ended. Greenspan understood this. He lowered rates dramatically after the NASDAQ crash - but then he began inching rates up, like he was suppose to. From 2001-PRESENT there could be no economic growth. Lowering rates during the DEAD ZONE time of the economic cycle is irresponsible, suckering people into more debt, tricking people into more debt.

The FED failed to follow established economic rules and decided to take us into uncharted waters. So, instead of destroying old debt in order to be ready to take on new debt when Business Cycle returns, we preserved debt by lowering interest rates which created a mad rush of borrowing and SPENDING so that now the entire world has all of its money and all of its BORROWED MONEY sucked in to the black hole of asset investment and THE FED now MUST protect that asset bubble at all costs or watch civilization as we know it go down the drain. What would have been painful in 2001 is going to be 10-times more painful now since we are all leveraged to the hilt in the FED-protected asset classes. The FED essentially said: borrow and invest; and we will protect you.
So what does the FED do now? It has to keep protecting the world from deflation. Well, it does not have to. But if it doesn't, the delayed Great Depression comes, and with it political and social devastation and political revolution. NO MORE FED. These Clowns have painted themselves into a corner. If they keep raising interest rates that will deflate all the bubbles they have created, then all the (borrowed) money they seduced investors into borrowing and casting into asset markets vanishes and the world goes up in flames.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:58 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,486 times
Quote:

You are here to learn that the stock market always goes up, the experts have things under control, and there is no real risk.

You are here to learn that the market will not crash and stay down for 20 years. That can't happen, because the experts have figured out ways to prevent it.

So you will just keep on learning that, and never trying to look at alternative ideas.
The Fed has proved that what you stated is true.
I'm sure that their mission doesn't coincide with any alternative ideas that will put this nation into years of misery.
Unless you're a fan of Armageddon, inflation will always be the way of life until the younger generation steps up and states, we've had enough and this happy horse sh$t trillion dollar deficits has got to stop.
Right now it seems like it's only zeros and decimal points and nobody really cares because it's only money.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:13 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,114,612 times
Quote:
I will explain it very clearly. You consistently behave like a troll. You are always argumentative. You are always negative. You have nothing positive to say or contribute. I have never seen you provide any help to anyone unless you want to count your negativity as helpful to others. A great many of your opinions are completely incorrect. When others provide the facts and citations if appropriate you continue to argue the same points. When others try to help with an issue, you go on the attack. Total troll! Totally useless and annoying.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:18 AM

When I link articles from, for example, forbes, you say it means nothing. When others here agree with me, you ignore it. You don't want to think, you just want to trust the so-called experts. I mean, the so-called experts who say things you like.

Our civilization is in uncharted territory now. The Fed was created to stabilize, but had to be given immense power. We do not know if we can trust any organization with this kind of almost unlimited power.

And furthermore, as I said, the Fed does not have a good understanding of the economic system. No one does. It is not a car, it is not a computer, it is unfathomably complex.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:21 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,658 times
Quote:

???

Who learns that? Seriously? that's a very serious question. I'm also fairly new to this whole game, as my wonderful husband of 30 years was the investment guru??

but the first thing I learned and the first thing my sons learned is that the stock market does and will go down. or where you saying that as a joke.

I lived through the crash of 08 but I stuck to my overall game plan, didn't freak out and pull out, keep with the dollor cost averaging so I continued to buy stocks and did well.

Are you advising folks to not be in the market? (also a real question)

Now as far as can we trust the central banks?? are we supposed to be trusting them?
Here's my attitude. Now trusting the central banks is not imperative to my goals. my goals pretty much are to pad my accounts as much as I can in the next 20 months while I'm working and protect the things I've managed to save up to that must last me for the next 30-35 years.

Nothing as of today has convinced me that the dollar will become worthless, we will run out of oil and inflation will hit 20% in the next 10 years. that's as long term as I can handle right now.

question? so you think this is a massive ponzi scheme, what are you doing? are you just staying in cash, buying tons of gold?

Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,102,242 times
I know most people on these boards aren't crypto fans but Bitcoin only has and will only ever have 21 million coins, not saying to throw all your greenbacks into Bitcoin but could be a nice for a small position as a hedge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing