Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM

106,694 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

we had no pensions in most companies in my working lifetime long before there were 401k's .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times
OKay. Looks like they aren't over rated, but have you at least noticed that a lot of people don't even use them much after retirement?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:12 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
OKay. Looks like they aren't over rated, but have you at least noticed that a lot of people don't even use them much after retirement?
Could that be because when you retire you can’t keep contributing? A lot of people will roll over the monies to a ira to gain more control but that’s not all that relevant. Do you even understand how any of this works?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It makes my eye twitch when people say that 401k matches are free money.

It’s part of your earned compensation.

Ok, I feel better now.
Not really. Compensation is earned and paid. The 401k is completely voluntary. It is not directly a part of compensation.

Is a person's compensation incomplete if they never sign up for a 401k?

Old 05-22-2018, 08:21 AM

18,104 posts, read 15,683,109 times
This thread proves to me that 401Ks are still woefully misunderstood.

My last company had lots of people who had been born in other countries. Their rate of 401K participation among that population was dismally low. They just didn't see the point; couldn't conceive of a thing called "retirement" some day. At least the company had 3% mandatory contribution, with a 3% match, so even those who were willfully ignorant got something.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:22 AM

4,867 posts, read 4,807,826 times
Quote:

Everyone has to use them in some fashion once a person turns 70 1/2. You either have to withdraw the minimum amount required by tax laws, so assorted governments can finally tax that money, or directly donate the money to charity.

One never knows the amount of money that will be needed in retirement. You can estimate, but that estimate will be based on assumptions and conditions you think will occur. For many people, those assumptions will be generally accurate. For others, though, those assumptions will turn out to be very wrong. An accident, unexpected illness or one of numerous other calamities can use those dollars up pretty quickly. I would much rather have them and not need them instead of needing them and not having them.

We were both fortunate to work for an employer with a good 401k plan, and our IRAs now represent about 50% of our net worth. I do wish that Roth IRAs and 401ks were more widely available when we were working because the tax advantages that would provide today, although I may have still opted to max out a 401k because of the tax advantages it provided at the time.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Dude, it's all just money. People put their money in multiple places. A 401k is just one place. At retirement, as long as the money is available, people will pull it from wherever they have it.

The reason people choose to pull from the 401k last is because they don't want to pay the deferred taxes.

Of course, this only applies to extremely wealthy people who have a ton of money elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
If your employer offers a match, contribute to your 401(k) whatever you need to get the match. Then contribute as much as you can to a Roth IRA. If you can still contribute more to retirement, go back to the 401(k).

It's advice I wish I had followed when I was working. The kicker comes that the 401(k) withdrawals are taxed as ordinary income, while Roth withdrawals are tax free and unlike the 401(k), you can withdraw your Roth contributions early without a penalty. The conventional wisdom was (still is?) that your income will go down in retirement and therefore your marginal rate will be lower and the federal bite won't sting quite so much. But my income actually increased in retirement, thanks to a pension, social security and investments. I never made more than the US average wage, but I had the advantages of being healthy and very fiscally prudent, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't give my 401(k) back, but the 20 - 25% that the feds take out of each RMD sure smarts.

Quote:
Wow, Berteau, I'd love to see some hard stats on this instead of a vague pronouncement. Even if I didn't need the 401(k) funds in the first few years after retirement, they are my bulwark against disaster (unforeseen medical and legal bills maybe?) and the only way my sadly underemployed children will be able to cling to a modest middle-class lifestyle. So I'm not sure what you mean about "using" them; I'm betting you are < 40 y.o. and not facing the realities of retirement yet.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:27 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Can't say I've noticed that, no. And I'm certainly planning on using mine when I retire. Social Security by itself won't be enough.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:31 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Is a person's compensation incomplete if they never sign up for a 401k?
If there's a match, absolutely. Absent a 401k, that money would have been given as additional salary. It's not "free money" that the company is giving away out of the goodness of its heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing