Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:23 PM

382 posts, read 513,598 times

Advertisements

Just like the title says. I recently sold my house and would like to do something at least vaguely intelligent with the proceeds of the sale with the end goal of growing that money to buy another house in a few years. I have a 401k with Fidelity, so choosing them may make some sense in that regard, but otherwise I'm at a bit of a loss.

What I'm thinking is that I'll be putting it into somebody's mutual fund and hope to achieve 5-10% on it until I'm ready to do something else with it. BUT... I have no real clue what I'm doing. My only investments previously have been 401Ks and some company discounted stock purchases. I'm unlikely to really invest in individual stocks, but maybe as a hobby with a small portion? So, it's possible that I may want to make a couple of trades a month and it looks like Fidelity is pretty cost friendly to that if I decide to do so.

Thoughts and opinions based on personal experience are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 04:37 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,346,527 times
Investing is for the long term. If you need the money say within 5 years stay out of the stock market.
Investing in a 401k is no different than investing in your own taxable brokerage account with one exception. You get deferred taxes on the 401k. So you do have experience.
I would look toward the S&P 500 ETF for part of the money.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Investing is for the long term. If you need the money say within 5 years stay out of the stock market.
Investing in a 401k is no different than investing in your own taxable brokerage account with one exception. You get deferred taxes on the 401k. So you do have experience.
I would look toward the S&P 500 ETF for part of the money.

Need is a relative term. I technically don't need the money right now, which is why I'm trying to do something more with it than just toss it in my checking account. So, if my investments were doing poorly and I would cripple them by taking the money out, I simply wouldn't take the money out and would wait for them to improve. 5 years is a somewhat reasonable target for what I have in mind. I have no ants in my pants to do anything at all any time soon.

I've seen other discussion about the S&P ETF and that does seem like a reasonable way to go. Do you have any opinions of the various brokerages?

Old 07-01-2018, 05:19 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Fidelity is a good choice.

Check out https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/315911701

Old 07-01-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Fidelity is a good choice.

Check out https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/315911701

Thanks!

Related question... What's the best way to set something up? Just call them up at the 800 number or try to find a local broker or...? I have no idea.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,199,860 times
Do you have a local Fidelity branch in your area?
Otherwise, why don't you just open a Fidelity account and research which mutual funds you want to buy. You can buy them yourself. You can look on Fidelity website and read about various funds and buy what appeals to you. Why pay someone to manage your account? Having a managed account costs you money which could go in your pocket.

You can buy and sell yourself. You can buy a total stock market index account and leave it alone. If the market drops your fund will drop. Five years is a short time to try to make 6%. Prices are high now and I would recommend slowly adding rather than putting all your money in at once.

Old 07-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macyny View Post
Prices are high now and I would recommend slowly adding rather than putting all your money in at once.

That is actually one of my biggest concerns. I was thinking about holding off until after the election before making any moves, but I'd like to get it in something before then. Are CDs even worth bothering with? Bonds?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:25 AM

106,687 posts, read 108,856,202 times
i use fidelity 90% , banks 10%

Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Personally I split my retirement account and brokerage between companies. You just never know. Sometimes systems go down. And just me but I don't want all my money at one place. That would be a pain to lose access to or if something were hacked etc.

Fidelity is good for retirement. There are banks that have brokerage houses that are also as good as anyone else and they will often throw money at you for bringing your business there and give you nice perks for just babysitting your fund holdings.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Put it in a balanced fund like VBINX, if the stock market crashes so will the housing market, so it’s fine. Nothing wrong with choosing individual companies either, it depends on one’s judgement as to how that plays out. I personally like AMZN but with all these trade war talks, I would be cautious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing