Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:16 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,336,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Actually when most years close out you can still make priory contributions up to the tax deadline which is April 15th most years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
True, but the larger point still stands. You can’t say “I din’t max out my IRA three years ago, so I’ll make up a catch-up contribution now.” Once the contribution window for a given tax year closes, it’s closed forever. So if the OP is in a financial situation that allows him to max out his contributions for the next two years, he definitely should do so.
Right Lowerexpectations, I meant what the next poster summarized though.

OP can't 10 years from now hit an excess of money and say "Welp, I will just dump a bunch of it into my Roth IRA for all those years I never maxed it out."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM

265 posts, read 155,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Put the money in. Your next decision is how to invest it. Leave it as cash, buy a CD, buy equities. So your question is really how are you going to invest your money. I would go for equities as this is a long term investment and getting in ASAP will work even if the market tanks for a few months.
Whoa. "ASAP" "Market tanks for a few months"

What?!

When does a market tank of "a few months"? I guess in your view it wil always magically come right back? Bear markets could last 2 years and you would not know you're in one.

To answer the OP's question. I would put a little bit in monthly. Or even better quarterly.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM

18,101 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Don't question it, put the monies into your IRAs when you have the monies available. In 25 years you will want to go in the wayback machine and give your 2018 self a huge hug of gratitude for investing in roths and every other retirement vehicle you use. Trust me on this: you will not believe how fast the years go by and you'll never regret having saved/invested over the years.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:59 AM

77 posts, read 87,401 times
Yea im with you all... just max it out for this year and continue to do so. Thanks for all the advice. Been loving thing forum community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing