Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Respectfully, I disagree.

You want to diversify into uncorrelated assets (preferably uncorrelated asset classes). You want one holding that tends to zig when the others zag (although that would be negative correlation rather than non-correlation).

An old professor of mine used to say, "the ideal 2-stock portfolio is to own stock in one company that makes baby diapers and another that makes condoms."

As an aside, the problem that happened in the Great Recession was most all historically uncorrelated asset classes became correlated and went south, so that diversification didn't help.
wouldnt that diversify you into a net zero gain or loss position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 03:24 PM

132 posts, read 119,819 times
I think the best diversification is based on different industries; tech, energy, consumer, defense, etc. I might include bonds and dividends as well.

But the premise is that these are all sectors that go up. That is not the same as diversifying with things that only go up when the rest of the market goes down, especially in this market.

I don't buy "defensive" things (gold, etc) unless I actually see blood coming in the streets.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM

106,675 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
No , it would not and doesn’t.if you picture a hypothetical worse case scenario the worst asset class can only go to zero. So if you have a situation that drives one asset class very low odds are it can cause others to double and triple.

In practice that is just what happens as if you look at the 4x4 permanent portfolio there are quite a few years with double digit gains . That has equal weighting’s in opposing assets classes yet each year is different and it runs typically 3-6% over inflation

Old 08-29-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motterpaul View Post
I think the best diversification is based on different industries; tech, energy, consumer, defense, etc. I might include bonds and dividends as well.

But the premise is that these are all sectors that go up. That is not the same as diversifying with things that only go up when the rest of the market goes down, especially in this market.

I don't buy "defensive" things (gold, etc) unless I actually see blood coming in the streets.
By the time you see blood in the street gold would have made its move long before .the biggest gains in gold are always early on , before there are any signs gold is entering a bull

Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,688,527 times
OPs title premise is wrong from the get go!

Old 08-29-2018, 05:28 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
LOL you own bonds? what a looooser.

just kidding. i actually dont hold bonds but i thought that made me more unique than someone who does. i figure if i really wanted to reduce the volatility then probably better to hold more cash than to hold bonds.
Cash is making more sense if you can get a good interest rate. But bonds can help in bad times as you can get both interest and capital gains on high quality bonds when stocks are getting hit.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:40 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
By the time you see blood in the street gold would have made its move long before .the biggest gains in gold are always early on , before there are any signs gold is entering a bull
Where do you come up with this nonsense. In the last decades there are only 2 periods of substantial growth in the price of gold. Gold prices increased throughout the 70s and peaked about 1980. The next growth started about 2002 and peaked about after growth of about 10 years. Since then gold prices declined again and have been largely flat in recent years.

Your crystal ball seems to be broken. You were promoting gold a year ago and nothing has changed. Meanwhile the stock markets have continued to grow.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:18 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Theoretically, you're right -- perfectly negative correlation might put you in a net zero situation. That's why diversification, or "don't keep all your eggs in one basket" is really the quest for non-correlated asset classes. Explaining non-correlation can be a bit tougher than the easy to get but less accurate "zig while others zag" which is actually negative correlation.

Speaking of perfectly negative correlation, that's one of the basics of an old method of income tax deferral. We all know the "wash sale rule" for federal income tax purposes. Here's a variation that (supposedly) gets around the wash sale rule: In November, simultaneously go long soybeans and short soymeal, which are highly correlated, so the long and short positions will have high negative correlation. Then, with normal price movements, one of them will be a winner while the other will be a loser - sort of offsetting each other. Sell the loser the last trading day that will clear in December, generating a loss for income tax purposes.. and sell the winner the first trading day of January, thereby "rolling" income from one tax year to the next. Repeat every year... eventually you die, and your heirs get to deal with a massive paper income.

It all works, theoretically, until it doesn't (such as when there essentially no variation) or until the IRS audits you and decides there isn't any economic reason for your trades...

Old 08-30-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Where do you come up with this nonsense. In the last decades there are only 2 periods of substantial growth in the price of gold. Gold prices increased throughout the 70s and peaked about 1980. The next growth started about 2002 and peaked about after growth of about 10 years. Since then gold prices declined again and have been largely flat in recent years.

Your crystal ball seems to be broken. You were promoting gold a year ago and nothing has changed. Meanwhile the stock markets have continued to grow.
gold works best because of rebalancing not sitting static in a lump

gold was up 11% last year . 8% in 2016 as well . if your bond and cash money portion was diversified in gold instead of just being in cash and bonds along with your equity position you did much better than those two did .

so it is not a case of buying gold instead of equities if you want to add gold , it is in deploying some of the money allocated to bonds and cash instruments .

but gold works by rebalancing so your gains are eventually on a lot lower cost usually over time when they happen and that is an important part of using gold .

as poorly as gold did the last 10 years it still beat a mix of total bond fund and some cash even without considering the effects of rebalancing which would have improved golds return but hurt bonds return .

so your idea of how gold is used as part of a portfolio is very wrong and the numbers show that .

in your head you are looking at it incorrectly as a stock proxy and not a proxy and more diversification for some of the bond and cash money . so you may want to re-think the concept properly.

you still don't understand that when spending down it is never about the up years or how many you have . as night follows day the other half of the cycle is ALWAYS part of the deal . your balance ain't what you are looking it , that is a loaner lol .

all that matters when spending down is what is your balance when the smoke clears and how many years in real return will it take to recover while you continue to draw an inflation adjusted income ..

you may want to seriously grasp that concept too as you keep talking about the up years . those only count when not drawing an income . now sequence risk and your lowest balances rule

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-30-2018 at 04:34 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Gold, or any other asset, looks like a great choice if you buy it when the prices are trending upwards. When prices are trending upwards it works as either a lump or with rebalancing. You are trying to claim something else. You are claim that volatility in gold prices will be inversely related to volatility in stock prices and short term rebalancing will take advantage of that inverse relationship. Well, you can start the analysis by overlaying gold and stock market performance. With either longer or short term volatility that inverse relationship does not appear to exist.

Have you forgotten how you were going to prove this a year or so ago. Remember setting up fake Fidelity accounts to monitor performance? The portfolio with gold did better for a few months and then fell behind. Somehow at that point you lost interest. As I remember it the comparison portfolio was a 60:40 stock:bond allocation. That is a dog at this point also. Most of us look for other non-stock assets to invest in other than traditional bonds or bond funds. One choice is real estate with sub choices of residential or commercial. I lean towards commercial. In the past when we reach then end of a business cycle and/or an event impacts the stock market, there is a more gradual decline in RE. That allows time to sell well before reaching the bottom. Anyway, I digress. I do not see that you have made the point that gold works consistently for rebalancing.

In addition to the case for rebalancing you are also making the claim that gold prices are about to increase. It seems to me you made the same claim a year ago. Is this crystal ball work or is there some analysis involved?

Over the past several years, we have seen a number of gold enthusiasts make predictions for future gold price increases. They have all vanished. I am willing to bet that you back off over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing