Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:47 PM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Let's assume you had whatever the magic number is, perhaps $6M or whatever you picked, what would you do with it?
Buy a condo in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. That is my #1 splurge.

With more wealth, I would likely buy real estate in different cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:18 PM

319 posts, read 665,147 times
Modest condo in the city <$400k. Convenience and maximize walk-ability.
Passive and active investments to stay busy
hookers and blow

Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 PM

198 posts, read 174,972 times
Put aside money for child or grandchild education. Buy house for child/grandchild if i can afford in some reasonable area.
Invest rest of it in less risk investment and live very simple life.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I would buy a big luxurious apartment in Aix-en-Provence near that street with the shady trees - it would be a art nouveau type building and near a very good cafe that makes amazing coffee and croissants. I want to shop in the flea markets still buying vintage furniture for my apartment. I will travel all over Europe on a airplane pass, forget how much they cost, but I could afford it now.
I like Nice except for the pebble beaches. I like sand beaches a lot better. Barcelona might be better for that reason, even though Nice has a better climate.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks! As a senior citizen I can only tell you is that if you reach that level of comfort and limited if any financial worries you will continue down the path that got you there. That means saving, investing and continuing to build your financial security. Yes you might spend more but probably not at the expensed of decreasing your wealth.
This would work for me.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:04 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I like Nice except for the pebble beaches. I like sand beaches a lot better. Barcelona might be better for that reason, even though Nice has a better climate.
Nice sounds nice. My sister lived in Barcelona and said it's too touristy. She suggested I pick somewhere else in Spain. I have a head start because I speak Spanish.

The Spain home would be one of my vacay homes. I like my present demesne in the hills, I'll keep it to remind myself of the days when I was poor and humble.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I like the magnitude of your thinking! I wouldn't do exactly the same things, but I would fix myself nicely, and with $1B-$3B yes I too would want to leverage a lot of it to change the world, to make it better IMO.

Thanks C24L because of your post I suddenly understand billionaires like Bill Gates (or Jeff Bezos) and I understand now why they are spending so much money to influence the direction of where our country and the world are headed.

Thank you very much for your contribution to this topic.

Wow, I learned something from what I intended to be a 'play' topic!
anytime,Lovehound....i am glad i could help and teach you something on a "play"thread...Thanks a lot.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 AM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's true! Nice has the little pebbles on the beach, brings back memories of my week there, but I like the buildings in Old Nice, they have that 1920s Paris look. I've never been to Barcelona, but maybe one day, always dreamed of going. Still, waiting for my millions. Powerball is $900 million, that will do it.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Modest condo in the city <$400k. Convenience and maximize walk-ability.
Passive and active investments to stay busy
hookers and blow
So many "cool" guys say this...how much blow have you done and what is your current hooker budget?

Old 10-18-2018, 11:22 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
So many "cool" guys say this...how much blow have you done and what is your current hooker budget?
That's a perceptive question.

I'm reminded of lottery winners, particularly those who win unimaginable amounts like tens or hundreds o millions. Having not worked for the money beyond spending a few hundred on lottery tickets, they have no real basis in their newfound wealth. IIRC the statistic is that 2/3 of these mega-winners have returned to loser status within their first year.

Spending money on "blow and hookers" seems like a pretty bad mind-set for continuing to enjoy life. I expect the 1/3 of lottery winners who kept it probably found professional financial help, and also had at least some idea of managing money. That's how you recognize your new winnings are a really big problem, and you need a really good expert to help you keep it.

That's if you won the money or lucked into it, and to some degree those who inherited the vast heartbreak of huge wealth. () Those who earned their way to wealth probably know enough to keep up their successful economic habits.

Leading a "blow and hookers" life is IMO likely to lead one into more dangerous drugs, and increase contact with toxic people. These things are not conducive to a long life expectancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing