Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 04:36 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Well--Dow is down 87. At 850EST and others too
futures up at 6:36am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:29 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Odd. SP500 & Dow30Index divergence to Nasdaq & Russell2000. Which is giving a better picture? Are people just buying the SP500 Index and ignoring the components? @1330hr EST.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
That's interesting LP because I just checked CNBC and discovered the same. I'm no expert but I'd say the techs, particularly the FAANGs are not doing well. In fact I just looked and the FAANGs are all either down or flat.

Tech isn't hot today. In fact it's either cool or cold depending on which 'tooth.' Wouldn't you agree that the NASDAQ is heavily tech? That would explain your conundrum.

Is there any happiness better than selling your stock and then seeing it selling for lower than the price you sold it for? I could buy right back into my AMZN if I wanted it. I don't.

I think tomorrow is going to be worse. Political crisis = market volatility IMO. The FAANGs have gone up as much or more than the other stocks. I'd expect FAANG owners to be pretty skittish until they find out what effect the election has on the market.

We won't know much about the election results until after the market is closed. Tuesday after-market should be particularly interesting to watch, as the elections start getting called. Maybe as soon as a few hours after the East Coast voting closes.

So I'm predicting a wild ride tomorrow.

I'm glad my trading account is all cash and zero stocks. Too bad I didn't listen to the naysayers earlier in October. If I hadn't known about the October thing I might have sold sooner. I thought everything would be fine in early November. Um, wrong! Or at least not yet.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:40 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'd call Friday a big 'meh.' Trump isn't lying. He's blustering. There's a difference. I think he found some little itty bitty thing that might mean Xi was getting weak, and then turned that into a mountain. So I guess we more or less agree but in different words.
Clearly, you're a glass half full kind of guy if you truly believe this. Words which have no basis in fact, uttered by someone with full knowledge there is no evidence to support those words, are, in fact, a lie . Every Trump 'official' says there has been zero progress with XI. Trump did not "find" a little itty bitty thing that meant anything. Trump told a lie to turn the market around. It's what he does with zero conscience. If a lie gets the result he's aiming for, then that's what he does. He lies. Which is why when he made that comment, I knew the opposite was true.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-05-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 PM

I'm not going to discuss politics with you Ariadne.

I don't know if you saw my post in which I said that ALL the pols are going to be spouting BS specifically designed to influence the election.

I'm treating politicians this week the same way I'd treat a drunk nearly unconscious alcoholic. Both sides of the fence are rabid until after the election.

I think you should accept that neither party is all right or all wrong. Both parties have good and bad ideas. That's the sad situation, that we've lost the political centrists, just like we've lost much of the economic middle class.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:25 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
The divergence.
IIRC, The Index people (vanguard, fidelity, blackrock, et al) hedge during trading hours in anticipation of big swings in their major holdings at bell closing. The last 15 minutes could be interesting. Just a guess.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:32 PM

We all often see heavy volumes at the beginning and ending of the market. I've assumed it's day traders and like you said above LP.

There was a bit of an upswing in the indices but no big deal. Amazon started out in heavy selling volume (relatively speaking) and then a more moderate buying upswing in the last couple hours.

I didn't find today's market very interesting. NASDAQ was underwater all day.

Now tomorrow... I think tomorrow is gonna be hella interesting!

Even if the market isn't interesting the election coverage will be awesome for anybody interested in politics. It appears that many crucial elections are in the East so we may have some comparatively early indications of how it is going to go.

I'm going to be glued to my TV tomorrow evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing