Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM

356 posts, read 320,369 times

Advertisements

Does any1 in here invest in art as an investment? Does it appreciate?

What types of art work appreciate? How do I find appreciating artwork to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 05:08 AM

34,100 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
Art as an investment class
Even if done poorly it is, has to be, limited to the very wealthy. Or foolish. LINK

Quote:
How do I find appreciating artwork to buy?
That's meant as a subtle term for low cost?
Just buy what you like -- and is available at prices you can afford to take a flyer on.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:59 AM

106,775 posts, read 108,997,702 times
my wife is in to art ... we have some collectibles but since we have no interest in ever selling them we don't even bother to put them on a net worth sheet ... as long as they are consumption items they really have little value to us as an investment.

she bought these pieces decades ago because she liked them . she had no idea ERTE would become a well know artist and be worth 10x what she paid. it is called THE MILLIONAIRES SUIT

Old 09-25-2019, 07:14 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,044,134 times
You buy art when you have nothing else to spend your money on.
It's not an investment, it's the subtle way to say "I have so much money I buy stuff like this."
It's also a great vehicle for criminals to launder their money.

However, you can tell who is really wealthy and who is fake-wealthy by the quality of the art on their walls.
I always look at the art when some billionaire's home is featured in a magazine.
Trump brags about his Renoir, fake.

Steve Martin used to hang some of his personal art collection in his movies. Very distracting to me to see it so briefly.
I don't think he does it any more.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:38 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,554,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my wife is in to art ... we have some collectibles but since we have no interest in ever selling them we don't even bother to put them on a net worth sheet ... as long as they are consumption items they really have little value to us as an investment.

she bought these pieces decades ago because she liked them . she had no idea ERTE would become a well know artist and be worth 10x what she paid. it is called THE MILLIONAIRES SUIT
How do you insure them? Is it just a rider on your homeowner's policy?

Old 09-25-2019, 07:42 PM

10,363 posts, read 8,001,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxalleycat View Post
What types of art work appreciate? How do I find appreciating artwork to buy?
Buy the art you like, under the assumption that it will never grow in value. There is no way to tell which artists working today are producing works which will become more valuable in the future.

Art, like collectibles, can vary drastically in value over the years as tastes change.

Old 09-26-2019, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
How do you insure them? Is it just a rider on your homeowner's policy?
yes , it is a rider ...

Old 09-26-2019, 04:34 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,745,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Buy the art you like, under the assumption that it will never grow in value. There is no way to tell which artists working today are producing works which will become more valuable in the future.

Art, like collectibles, can vary drastically in value over the years as tastes change.
What he/ she said!

I have a couple of pieces I bought almost 20 years ago because I liked them and felt they would go with the décor of the house. I did look on-line recently for kicks & grins and see they have tripled in value but I have no intention of selling because I still enjoy them. I'm very low budget with the art I buy, under $5K.

Buy art you truly like- there are many high end art pieces that I personally wouldn't give you a $100.00 for and yet there are beautiful pieces around the $300- $400 range. On the higher end I really wouldn't mind having a Rothko.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:49 AM

30 years ago my wife bought the erte millionaires suite for i think 4k framed , it consists of two paintings ... erte was relatively unknown and she liked the pieces which were originals not signed reproductions which are a fraction of the prices . . .... who knew one day they would be actual collectibles .

Old 09-30-2019, 09:13 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
With any investing, you are better off to understand the item you are investing in... unless you buy mutual funds and never look at them, and even then, you'll be better off you you understand what your investment company is doing.

To invest in art, you really need to deeply understand art and what makes one piece valuable and another piece, that might look the same, worth garage sale prices.

The art world is full of people trying to sell you something and what they are selling is not necessarily worth buying as an investment. This is not an area where you can turn your investing over to an advisor and let them do all the buying for you.

So, yes you can buy art as an investment, but it can be a very good place to lose a lot of money. The best investment pieces are already up in the millions so out of the reach of most of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing