Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 09:22 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

I am retired and have 55% invested in equities and 45% invested in cash. I understand how bonds work, but in this low interest rate environment, I anticipate that bonds will lose more than they will gain. So do I stay in cash for now, or do I look at alternative investments?
Should I reallocate my cash percentage between corporate bonds, treasuries, preferred stocks, TIPS, reits, global bonds or commodities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 10:55 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Bonds are going down due to rising interest rates. This is truly getting to be a HATED asset class due to all the interest rate manipulation by the powers.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:05 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am retired and have 55% invested in equities and 45% invested in cash. I understand how bonds work, but in this low interest rate environment, I anticipate that bonds will lose more than they will gain. So do I stay in cash for now, or do I look at alternative investments?
Should I reallocate my cash percentage between corporate bonds, treasuries, preferred stocks, TIPS, reits, global bonds or commodities?
if you stay for the duration of the bond fund you will see the interest rate you signed on for when you bought years earlier . it is no different then an individual bond ... if rates go down you can sell earlier at a profit . if they go up then you will lose money selling early.

longer term bonds like TLT react not only to rates but to fear and greed . i have been trading in and out almost weekly .

Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 AM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Individual bonds held to maturity will not lose value. If you are in a mutual fund the value of your investment in the mutual fund will vary. I would avoid funds.

You can consider individual bonds and CD's. I would at least use CD's probably from an on line bank or stock broker. Note some on line banks pay a higher interest rate on their savings accounts than CD's of a year or less.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Individual bonds held to maturity will not lose value. If you are in a mutual fund the value of your investment in the mutual fund will vary. I would avoid funds.

You can consider individual bonds and CD's. I would at least use CD's probably from an on line bank or stock broker. Note some on line banks pay a higher interest rate on their savings accounts than CD's of a year or less.
if the funds are high quality bonds then just like an individual bond , if you stay for the duration value of the fund you will get very close to what the rates were the day you bought . many funds actually do better because they ride the yield curve as it is called as well as loan out bonds for a fee and sell covered calls .

Old 11-05-2019, 12:21 PM

What about the other asset classes I mentioned?

Old 11-05-2019, 12:22 PM

i only use equity funds , bonds and gold at times .... no reits , tips or global bonds at this stage ...inflation is way to low for tips .

Old 11-05-2019, 12:29 PM

How about preferred stocks? I understand they work more like a bond.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
How about preferred stocks? I understand they work more like a bond.
I don’t like hybrid anything ...if I want stocks I buy stocks ,if I want bonds I buy bonds ...I never mix ....I want each asset to have one function

Old 11-05-2019, 02:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you stay for the duration value of the fund you will get very close to what the rates were the day you bought .
Even if you stay for the duration you are not guaranteed to get your return with a bond fund... for example I acquired VBILX with an average duration of 6.3 years on 01/01/2018. SEC yield at the time was 2.75% and the Distribution Yield was close to it.

The SEC yield has gone down to 2.08% now and the Distribution has crept down to 2.4% or so. However, the NAV has risen from 11.33 to 11.80 (as of today - estimated, the bond fund CRASHED today... I use the term "crashed" because a decline of 0.5% in 1 day is MONUMENTAL for a bond fund that is yielding so little in the first place!) with a high of about 12.05 on 9/4/2019.

So for Year 1 and Year 2 I have averaged a Distribution of 2.6% or so. If interest rates stay the same Year 3, 4, 5 say I average 2.2%. No worries since the rise in NAV so far compensates me for the difference between my original promised yield of 2.75% and the lower yield I am averaging.

Now, 6 months before "maturity" or it's equivalent (duration = 6.3 years so sometime in 2024) interest rates skyrocket. The NAV plummets, I incur huge losses. Now I must wait YEARS until the Distribution Yield gradually creeps up. Now if the bond fund has a negative real yield those are years that you are actually losing money.

The risk is much much more than advertised, so it's entirely possible to have losses even if you hold to term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing