Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 07:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 11,562,622 times

Advertisements

Crude Oil (WTI Oil) - 34.1%
US Stocks (S&P 500) - 31.5%
US Real Estate (Dow Jones Real Estate Index) - 28.9%
US Small Caps (Russell 2000) - 25.5%
Europe, Australia, and Far East Stocks (MSCI EAFE) - 22.0%
Canadian Stocks (S&P/TSX Composite) - 21.0%
Emerging Market Stocks (MSCI EEM) - 18.0%
Commodities (S&P GSCI) - 17.6%
Gold - 17.4%
US Corporate Bonds (Bloomberg/Barclays Corporate Bonds) - 14.5%
US Bonds (Aggregate) - 8.7%
US Dollar (US Dollar Index) - 0.3%

Note: All indices listed here are using total returns with dividends reinvested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 02:34 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
all that matters is the returns you got ..... we all buy at different times , sell at different times , have different tax structure , rebalance different times and most important pair them up in a portfolio where the asset outcomes are very different than just sitting in isolation .

had you had a 50/50 mix of equities and total bond fund this year vs 50% equities and long term treasuries and gold your outcome from rebalancing would be totally different .

the gold and long term treasuries would have rebalanced in to far more equities than a total bond fund would have and your return would be greater .

plus to recover from last years dip would have taken longer in the 50% equities/ total bond fund because it fell farther the year before .

in fact the last 18 months has seen 25% equities -25% gold-25% long term treasuries , 25% t-bills beat 60% equities and a total market fund

so portfolio construction is key , not asset classes in isolation as far as our own performance goes .

if yours worked out , great for you but i don't think others should be pointed in that direction . that is my opinion when it comes to these overly complex products that count on entrapping people by only showing them the outside of the car and never lifting the hood . the typical mortal can't tell a good deal from a bad one so it is best to stay away .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-05-2020 at 02:56 AM..

Old 01-05-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
all that matters is the returns you got ..... we all buy at different times , sell at different times , have different tax structure , rebalance different times and most important pair them up in a portfolio where the asset outcomes are very different than just sitting in isolation .

had you had a 50/50 mix of equities and total bond fund this year vs 50% equities and long term treasuries and gold your outcome from rebalancing would be totally different .

the gold and long term treasuries would have rebalanced in to far more equities than a total bond fund would have and your return would be greater .

plus to recover from last years dip would have taken longer in the 50% equities/ total bond fund because it fell farther the year before .

in fact the last 18 months has seen 25% equities -25% gold-25% long term treasuries , 25% t-bills beat 60% equities and a total market fund

so portfolio construction is key , not asset classes in isolation as far as our own performance goes .

if yours worked out , great for you but i don't think others should be pointed in that direction . that is my opinion when it comes to these overly complex products that count on entrapping people by only showing them the outside of the car and never lifting the hood . the typical mortal can't tell a good deal from a bad one so it is best to stay away .
Hmmm. I don’t think an index fund is an overly complex product. Am I understanding you correctly?

You are an active investor. I think the post is an interesting snapshot for more passive investors.

Old 01-05-2020, 07:16 AM

an index fund can become more complicated once you start adding in other investments to create a portfolio .

take an s&p 500 fund and pair it up with a nasdaq fund and you have 20% of the cap weighted s&p index in just fang plus a whopping 35% more of the same exact stuff in nasdaq with just 4 of the fang stocks .

so once we start creating portfolios , things as they relate to each other can become more complicated and you need to know what you are doing or risk becoming a more riskier mix then you think you are getting with crazy dangerous overlap .. now keep in mind vanguard has other mid cap funds with lower overlap but you need to know what i what

many investors pick funds by name rather then what they own or the index they follow . . voo is an s&p 500 index fund , vo is a mid cap fund , vb is a small cap index fund .

vanguard

VOO vs. VO = 229 overlapping constituents (45% of VOO's holdings, 67% of VO's holdings) <-- this is pretty bad
VO vs. VB = 20 overlapping constituents (6% of VO's holdings, 1% of VB's holdings) <-- not to bad
VOO vs. VB = 28 overlapping constituents (6% of VOO's holdings, 2% of VB's holdings)

i shares

IVV vs. IJH = 0 overlapping constituents
IJH vs. IJR = 0 overlapping constituents
IVV vs. IJR = 0 overlapping constituents

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-05-2020 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-05-2020, 08:14 PM

While I agree with you, this is still more complicated than most make these things. If you don’t find this to be at all interesting, that’s fine.

I find it i trust if I put $100 in and S&P 500 Index find in January 1, 2019, I would have had a $138 at the end of the year, versus $108 if I had bought a treasury bond.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
While I agree with you, this is still more complicated than most make these things. If you don’t find this to be at all interesting, that’s fine.

I find it i trust if I put $100 in and S&P 500 Index find in January 1, 2019, I would have had a $138 at the end of the year, versus $108 if I had bought a treasury bond.
it is interesting but the point is assets play very differently with each other in a portfolio then isolation .

in fact look at right now ... if instead of buying a total bond fund a lot of that money went in to gold the last 7 years rebalancing and buying the losing asset nice and cheap that whole load of gold was just lifted to new highs and you would have nice profits right now ...so statically gold sucked for 7 years . in practice all that cheap gold is now going higher and higher

Old 01-06-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
it is interesting but the point is assets play very differently with each other in a portfolio then isolation .

in fact look at right now ... if instead of buying a total bond fund a lot of that money went in to gold the last 7 years rebalancing and buying the losing asset nice and cheap that whole load of gold was just lifted to new highs and you would have nice profits right now ...so statically gold sucked for 7 years . in practice all that cheap gold is now going higher and higher
How did your overall portfolio returns compare to the S&P 500 for the calendar year?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How did your overall portfolio returns compare to the S&P 500 for the calendar year?
i am retired , i don't use 100% equities , a comparison would make no sense ... plus we are spending down 6 figures a year , on top of that i do a lot of day trading and pay estimated taxes on our trades as well which come out of the balances too ..

the only comparison i do is every year , when all is said and done i look at year over year .

so after spending down all we did and paying taxes on a portfolio less then 40% equities we are 16% a head of last years balance

Old 01-06-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
i am retired , i don't use 100% equities , a comparison would make no sense ... plus we are spending down 6 figures a year , on top of that i do a lot of day trading and pay estimated taxes on our trades as well which come out of the balances too ..

the only comparison i do is every year , when all is said and done i look at year over year .

so after spending down all we did and paying taxes on a portfolio less then 40% equities we are 16% a head of last years balance

Old 01-06-2020, 08:51 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
36.42% return for 2019, America is great again indeed!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing