Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2020, 03:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 2,046,984 times

Advertisements

Under heading of "Always learning something new" I tried to add Vanguard to my list of financial institutions that I can transfer money to and from my Treasury account. Fidelity has been on my approved list for a while but for some reason Vanguard never added.

Long story short: you can't get here from there. I called Vanguard after no website guidance, got transferred to 2 different people and the last one consulted someone while I was on hold. Nope. Best they could suggest was to ask the Treasury to send me some paperwork to try and set it up with Vanguard but it sounded time-consuming (signature guarantees needed) and maybe successful in the end. I knew Vanguard was "not a bank" as I was told more than once on the phone, just never knew they could not transfer to Treasury.

I even asked whether the routing number on my Vanguard checks (that I never use) would work and was told no. So Fidelity will be the go-to for Treasury money along with my other bank.

I've had a Treasury account so long that back in the day when I wanted to add a bank to transfer funds electronically I did have to go to my local bank and get a signature guarantee even though that wasn't the bank I was adding to my Treasury list. I actually have a phone number and name of a real person at the Treasury in Washington who helped me out when I had a problem 10 years ago, he's probably retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 05:08 PM

106,790 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Under heading of "Always learning something new" I tried to add Vanguard to my list of financial institutions that I can transfer money to and from my Treasury account. Fidelity has been on my approved list for a while but for some reason Vanguard never added.

Long story short: you can't get here from there. I called Vanguard after no website guidance, got transferred to 2 different people and the last one consulted someone while I was on hold. Nope. Best they could suggest was to ask the Treasury to send me some paperwork to try and set it up with Vanguard but it sounded time-consuming (signature guarantees needed) and maybe successful in the end. I knew Vanguard was "not a bank" as I was told more than once on the phone, just never knew they could not transfer to Treasury.

I even asked whether the routing number on my Vanguard checks (that I never use) would work and was told no. So Fidelity will be the go-to for Treasury money along with my other bank.

I've had a Treasury account so long that back in the day when I wanted to add a bank to transfer funds electronically I did have to go to my local bank and get a signature guarantee even though that wasn't the bank I was adding to my Treasury list. I actually have a phone number and name of a real person at the Treasury in Washington who helped me out when I had a problem 10 years ago, he's probably retired.
i can't comment enough about how bad my experiences were with vanguard .

Old 02-04-2020, 06:31 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,541,093 times
Fido has a bank and an insurance company, at least when I was with them.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:34 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,393,006 times
I moved all of my accounts out of Vanguard to Schwab after I retired a few years ago. My work related 401k was at Vanguard (by choice of the employer), but after retirement I rolled over the 401K to Schwab. I like the ability to visit a Schwab office if needed, and also that Schwab has a good banking service. The lack of a bank with Vanguard made some transactions clumsy, and I was not impressed with Vanguard's customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing