Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:38 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

My pension comes from American Airlines, so hopefully they will get government help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 08:43 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
My pension comes from American Airlines, so hopefully they will get government help.
Unfortunately pensions will be under even more stress in the restarted ZIRP environment. ZIRP and NIRP policies will cause pension failures across the world.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:50 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Since freaking out would do me absolutely no good, I won't bother with participating in doing it. Made my mortgage payment today so get to stay in my home for another month. Got water in the faucets and lights when I flip the switch. Food in the cupboards and gas in the vehicles.

Life goes on
Now there's a good attitude! A little sanity amidst all this madness. Thank you!
Life goes on.....

Old 03-16-2020, 09:05 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I'll tell you who's freaking out...the people who bought U-Haul trucks full of hand sanitizer and who now are prohibited from selling it on Amazon or E-Bay.

Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Investors are programmed to "buy the dip" because for a decade it has worked. Any disruption in prices was temporary.

Now, we might be in for a longer term cycle. Economy is certain to fall off a cliff in the second quarter. Recession or depression? Consumer retail is likely to be really ugly.

Is it right to buy the dip if we are in for a long term economic slowdown?

And then we have politics. Trump has eliminated virtually every impediment to corporate profitability. Tax policy, lax environmental laws, lax punishment for illegal biz behavior, poor trade deals, low health care costs for corporations by ignoring the need, ignoring climate change, huge deficits, etc. With a new administration much of these behaviors will be reversed (arguably to the benefit of mankind) and there will be a cost to business: Lower profitability, might lead to lower long term share prices.

So, it might not be time to aggressively "buy the dip" but rather prudently, slowly, accumulate shares over a longer period of time. 10% now, and 10% every quarter for a couple of years while the world sorts itself out.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:28 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
On a positive note: think how good this is for the environment! Less cars on the road, and less planes in the sky. The earth must be loving this thing!

Old 03-16-2020, 11:35 AM

962 posts, read 612,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
On a positive note: think how good this is for the environment! Less cars on the road, and less planes in the sky. The earth must be loving this thing!
Over the weekend, The Weather Channel ran a segment that explained that this would "accelerate climate change, and we must do something now." (I didn't stick around to hear the explanation)

I'm not making this up. Liberals have severe mental illness, no doubt.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:48 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I'll start freaking out if my monthly annuity payments stop flowing into my checking account. The whole point of accepting a low return (4%) from an annuity is to avoid the distress of falling financial markets and to avoid the compulsion that one must do something to assuage the situation.

With you on this.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:49 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
I've got a trip planned for early May and intend to be on that plane, global warming AKA climate change will have to be put on the back burner.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:53 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:

What 'bout all those toilet papers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing