Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 12:50 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,315 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow will be somewhat positive if nothing changes by then, no significant announcements regarding a cure/virus or the stimulus bill.

When the stimulus bill is announced, no guarantee on gains as people could be very disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
SkyDog77, your highly esteemed online MBA program should be teaching you more about current events, and the fact the Fed is going to be buying corporate bonds in VAST amounts.

Just today out of Mnuchin: Federal Reserve Will Buy Corporate Bonds, Treasuries, Mortgage-Backed Securities In "Vast Amounts"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/fed-...-pandemic.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...corporate-debt

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-c...120121252.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...t_amounts.html
PS, my MBA program was not online until it was forced to be last week.

What is your problem with universities? Why do you belittle them every chance you get?

Old 03-25-2020, 10:19 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
PS, my MBA program was not online until it was forced to be last week.

What is your problem with universities? Why do you belittle them every chance you get?

LOL I know. I just know the con game that most of higher ed is playing these days. They are selling a false bills of goods to many. Huge cost with little return in most fields. Feel badly for the younger kids being suckered in worthless degree tracks who don't know better. I am assuming you are older and paying cash (or your employer) for your MBA so obviously doesn't apply the same.

Wholesale student loan bailout is coming in the bust. Most of the debt will be forgiven within the next couple of years and guess who ultimately picks up the tab.........

Old 03-25-2020, 11:05 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,565,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
LOL I know. I just know the con game that most of higher ed is playing these days. They are selling a false bills of goods to many. Huge cost with little return in most fields. Feel badly for the younger kids being suckered in worthless degree tracks who don't know better. I am assuming you are older and paying cash (or your employer) for your MBA so obviously doesn't apply the same.

Wholesale student loan bailout is coming in the bust. Most of the debt will be forgiven within the next couple of years and guess who ultimately picks up the tab.........
Correct, my MBA is not being financed. It has been one of the best experiences in my life. Challenging, thought provoking, rewarding, and exhausting. The network access that the school provides is outstanding. As we navigate this crisis, I get to hear from some of the best minds in the world on how they are approaching things. It’s absolutely worth it to me.

As to feeling like people are taking on too much debt, that’s fine. The data is still conclusive that you make more on average with a college degree than without one.

People need cars. Most people should drive something affordable, but many end up buying cars that are more expensive than they need. It doesn’t mean that cars are bad. It would be rather odd the get your hackles up every time someone mentioned an automobile the way you seem to when college comes up.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,213,420 times
Oh man, THIS thread! RIGHT at the bottom.

I truly hope people didn't cave into the hysteria and sell their equity positions.

I've said it before and I'll say it till the day I die--the volatility is the emotional price you pay for outstanding long term stock market returns. If mentally it's too much for you get an asset allocation you can handle, but just know if you want or need growth in your liquid assets you most likely need a high percentage devoted to equities.

And don't make asset allocation changes right when the market goes down 35%!!!!

Old 06-03-2020, 02:40 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

I truly hope people didn't cave into the hysteria and sell their equity positions.

I've said it before and I'll say it till the day I die--the volatility is the emotional price you pay for outstanding long term stock market returns. If mentally it's too much for you get an asset allocation you can handle, but just know if you want or need growth in your liquid assets you most likely need a high percentage devoted to equities.

Well, clearly SOMEONE was selling. I learned my lesson when I caved on March 9, 2009 and sold out of my 401k.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:48 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,946,684 times
Keep dreaming bears.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:50 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well, clearly SOMEONE was selling. I learned my lesson when I caved on March 9, 2009 and sold out of my 401k.
Did you come back? If so, a DCA or a lump sum come back?

Old 06-03-2020, 04:53 PM

956 posts, read 510,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post

I never sold anything in my 401K nor invested anything new. I have less than 10% outside of 401K invested for like 6 years which has become way less as I am not brave with invest lol. I had thought of investing a lot into dividend funds then in March and still do now, but wanted a little more money saved first.

Now with the market rally as high and fast as it has with all that is going on, I am not changing anything. Not a good time to invest unless you absolutely will not need that money for at least 10 years minimum. Market can run higher and likely will in next couple of months, but with all thats going on, all it takes is an attitude change to reverse it and at these nosebleed levels if you invest a large sum and that happens, ouch!!

Every sector except for energy is overvalued right now. Energy is the only place I would think of looking right now for dividends and decent gains next 1-2 years.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:04 PM

956 posts, read 510,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Keep dreaming bears.
Bears are ones who use a fund to short the market and are losing money who think it is gonna go way down. Some bears then thought world was coming to an end and stocks would go to 0.

People who sit on sidelines in cash are not really bears nor bulls. People who heavily invest believing things will go higher are bulls.

Many stay in cash on sidelines even in down or up markets because investing scares them in general.

The ones who panic and sold at bottom are not that smart if they lost especially with rebound. And then some thinking market is good now so get back in. Oops sell low and buy high. That kind of behavior gets people in trouble and loses them money.

I missed out on gains if I would have invested a chunk then, but I did not lose anything either staying in mostly cash.

I am not either a bear or bull. I just do not know. Although I would never try and short the market even if I think it s going lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing