Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:26 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,308 times

Advertisements

Apparently money grows on trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,792,339 times
we are closer to the bottom than people think... that is my view. All the carnage has been priced in, we are within 10% of the bottom. No, the market isn't falling 60%, that is just wishful thinking.

The stock market forward prices things and they are taking an extremely dim view of the future, that is already priced in. Investors have access to the same info that the rest of us have and the prices already reflect all that.

You can see that when we got into the 2200 zone the speed of the selloff is drastically reducing...

Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
we are closer to the bottom than people think... that is my view. All the carnage has been priced in, we are within 10% of the bottom. No, the market isn't falling 60%, that is just wishful thinking.

The stock market forward prices things and they are taking an extremely dim view of the future, that is already priced in. Investors have access to the same info that the rest of us have and the prices already reflect all that.

You can see that when we got into the 2200 zone the speed of the selloff is drastically reducing...
i think we have as much as double to go .... our governor in ny was just on saying we may all be quarantined to early june. nyc is shut down beyond belief .....this is not going to go away any time soon without a miracle...

Old 03-23-2020, 12:38 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,177,467 times
Quote:

I think one issue is that there is still a massive range of predictions regarding exactly how bad Q2 numbers are going to be. Q3 is obviously a total guess. The St. Louis Fed chair (Bullard) yesterday said we could see 30% unemployment and a 50% drop in GDP for Q2, which would be the worst quarterly drop of all time by FAR (the worst in 2008 was -8.4%). Other folks have predicted something more pedestrian, although still terrible, like -14%.

Is -14% what is priced in? Or is -50% priced in? What has the market priced in regarding Q3 and a likelihood that this shutdown lifestyle lingers for 2-3 months instead of six weeks? There's so much variance in projections that I don't know how anyone knows what is priced in. If we do have a 50% drop in GDP and 30% unemployment, a 60% drop in stocks is not unrealistic at all. If we have a 14% drop in GDP and a strong recovery in Q3, that's a totally different scenario.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,305,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think we have as much as double to go .... our governor in ny was just on saying we may all be quarantined to early june. nyc is shut down beyond belief .....this is not going to go away any time soon without a miracle...
Agreed. I think the economy is in real trouble, possibly a depression, and that will be reflected in equity prices. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 75% drop from the high.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:

I don't agree with that. We bottomed at what, dow 7k back in 2009? And this situation is just as bad as that one, perhaps worse. No way of knowing how long we are going to keep the economy shut down. A week or two more, we bounce back. We get to May 15 and people are still sitting in their houses and staring out their windows -- we slide much further.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I'd like to buy, but not sure if another "new low" is coming.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Or if that same low might just stick around until 5 or 6 critical things are sorted out.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:40 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
TP is the safest investment right now.

IMO, you will see plenty of new lows in the foreseeable future. Are you day trading? Long term investing?

Old 03-23-2020, 03:41 PM

545 posts, read 192,582 times
Quote:

I love how The Bogleheads keep saying all of this is already "priced in". How in the world can all of the upcoming bad economic data, bankruptcies, sectors completely changing, unemployment, potential riots, etc., etc., etc., already be priced in lol?

Bogleheads were saying this after Last Monday's Blood Bath. Now they are saying it a week later. So was it all priced in last Monday? Or is it all priced in this Monday?

I also love how Bogleheads claim that one shouldn't try to time the market or call a bottom, but they literally are calling a bottom when they are saying everything is already "priced in".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing