Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2020, 12:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
One of the reasons why their re-sale value is so good too. Along with software updates which are free, so my M3P, which I bought in 2019 is just as advanced as the M3Ps of 2020. BMW wanted $500 to update their crappy navigation maps! My car has gotten exponentially better since I bought it and for free... from autopilot improvements, max speed, faster acceleration, too many to name add-ons from camping mode, pet-mode, security video footage playback in car, more cameras activated, list goes on and on. It's a great company and one to be proud they are built in America.
absolutely. spot on.
Remember a couple of years back when there were a series of children dying in hot cars? it was ridiculous...like 3 or 4 in a matter of a couple of weeks that were on the news.

What did Tesla do? within literally two weeks, they released a "minor update" and pushed it all cars (old and new) that essentially forced the car's HVAC to come on if the internal temp reached 90 degrees, effectively saving the life of any child or pet that were inadvertently left inside the car. That is such a small but vital improvement that an advanced Tech company (i mean car company...lol) can do and legacy giants can only look on which gaping mouths and wish they could. let alone in 2 weeks timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 12:17 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
absolutely. spot on.
Remember a couple of years back when there were a series of children dying in hot cars? it was ridiculous...like 3 or 4 in a matter of a couple of weeks that were on the news.

What did Tesla do? within literally two weeks, they released a "minor update" and pushed it all cars (old and new) that essentially forced the car's HVAC to come on if the internal temp reached 90 degrees, effectively saving the life of any child or pet that were inadvertently left inside the car. That is such a small but vital improvement that an advanced Tech company (i mean car company...lol) can do and legacy giants can only look on which gaping mouths and wish they could. let alone in 2 weeks timeframe.

Yep, completely agree! It's really like flip phones before data/wifi etc to modern day Samsungs and Apples and questioning why would Samsung and Apple phones be worth more than the original flip phone since they are just phones.

Old 11-20-2020, 12:29 PM

454 posts, read 198,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
For ICE vehicles to be replaced in large part or even entirely by EV, the things I mentioned are factors to getting there. There = wide adoption and replacement. I didn't call them problems. Those are realities. And I never suggested only TSLA was responsible for charging stations or infastructure.
My bad I misunderstood your view. Those realities you discussed are not just going to happen. Companies and government must want to do it and make money. I think there is enough money there to be made. Traditional car companies have started to shift their investments to ev like GM so that too will force adoption. Less and less ice cars. Thanks

Old 11-20-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Nevermind Tesla, the best EV play right now is in Chinese EV stocks. China will have a greater EV adoption than the US. They will have 10% cars as EV sooner than anywhere in the world even faster than Europe. They have a larger millionaire population than anywhere in the world. Price of EV to them is drop in the bucket so if you want to invest in EV and Tesla is too expensive. Buy Chinese EV stocks.
I own NIO too but much smaller position. I think ev market will be big but perhaps it’s like the phone market, it’s big but only a select few make money selling phones (Apple) because they do more than just sell phones. So while other ev stock and especially chinese ev stocks are doing well I don’t see their future as bright as Tesla because they do a lot more than just make ev cars. They design their own battery. You maybe able to use them to store and power your house. Look at the manufacturing technology. These other capabilities and potential separate them from being just an ev maker. Some people say they are a tech company that makes cars.

Old 11-20-2020, 02:25 PM

672 posts, read 443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeapelido View Post
ftfy
Florida Power and Light comes to mind NEE

Old 11-20-2020, 06:29 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
Yahoo is a a different story,after the founders left ,they have a hard time finding a CEO,remember all the ones come and gone,they got one from Hollywood,then a lady with main frame background,then someone who lied on his resume,then one from Google and made her managers signed papers of sworn loyalty.
TSLA is in a very enviable position,they can do a secondary offering and rake in billions,you can say it aint worth $500,but it has no problem finding buyers.
I am no sure joing SP500 now is a good idea,it is supposed to reflect the US economy and today we were told next year we will have NEGATIVE GDP!!

Old 11-20-2020, 08:05 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
With 50% YoY growth, unlikely to see below a 100 P/E multiple anytime soon. Y
TSLA has a PE closer to $1000... where did you get your 100 number? TSLA is the biggest bubble in recent stock market history. It is bigger than the Tulip bubble. Eventually all things revert to the mean and TSLA is going to be relatively worthless and so will all the idiot investors.

Just because TSLA went up 5X means absolutely nothing... Qualcomm went from $80/share to $10/share in record time during the '00 crash... things like that happen, unfortunately naïve millennial ignoramus investors have no experience of how markets can crush stocks in a heartbeat.

My guess is when the dust settles it will trade at a PE something like 20-30 which is about 30X lower than where it is currently...

As they say, everyone is a stock market expert these days because of the raging bull, but the raging bear will come sometime soon and then we will see how all these Robinhood investors turn out...

Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
TSLA has a PE closer to $1000... where did you get your 100 number? TSLA is the biggest bubble in recent stock market history. It is bigger than the Tulip bubble. Eventually all things revert to the mean and TSLA is going to be relatively worthless and so will all the idiot investors.

Just because TSLA went up 5X means absolutely nothing... Qualcomm went from $80/share to $10/share in record time during the '00 crash... things like that happen, unfortunately naïve millennial ignoramus investors have no experience of how markets can crush stocks in a heartbeat.

My guess is when the dust settles it will trade at a PE something like 20-30 which is about 30X lower than where it is currently...

As they say, everyone is a stock market expert these days because of the raging bull, but the raging bear will come sometime soon and then we will see how all these Robinhood investors turn out...

The nonsense you spew has been said before.... you're not being original. lol
in fact, i've heard this nonesense since TSLA was at 140 about 5 or 6 years ago when i first started buying. and again last year, around July when it was at 170....when i also kept buying.

you stick to your fear mongering and ignorant views about a company that is literally changing the world (no car company was serious about EVs until Tesla came along and literally changed the game... and now all big manufacturers are forced to play catch up. what a crappy position to be in).

So yeah, you stick to your fear mongering and nonsense... and some of us will make money in the mean time and retire early.
ps. being up $1.1M in less than a year does kinda feel good....I gotta tell ya....

Old 11-20-2020, 09:45 PM

Wow. Very strong language there. Tesla investors are idiots and Tesla will be worthless. Tulip bubble? Wow. Elon is the biggest Tesla investor out there and Ron Baron too. Call me an idiot is fine, but them too? Worthless? So in a few years Elon will join me on the food stamp line? Come on. Little too extreme to the other end of the spectrum, no? I get the bubble concern but worthless and idiots? Too much in my humble opinion. I won’t call your views garbage because clearly they are now. I understand the bubble in Tesla but it’s not unwarranted. The market is more cleaver than all of us. Market as in the collection of buyer and sellers. I own Tesla shares and I agree it’s a bubble but so are many assets, one could argue. Bubbles don’t have to alway burst. I respect your views but little too harsh in my humble opinion.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
This is the response I would expect with TSLA. As for the Enron parallel, you said fraud not me. I just think there will be a lot of similarities between the two when this story fully plays out.
Considering that Musk has a shady personal life, it's not surprising that he has shows a little shadiness in public. He did get in trouble with the SEC for that tweet!

I would see Tesla being a prime acquisition target for a large, established automaker because of its technology and innovation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing