Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 06:16 AM

62,097 posts, read 87,849,442 times

Advertisements

Nearly $170 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back on Monday.
The sell-off in cryptocurrencies comes after a huge rally and perhaps signals some profit-taking from investors. The plunge accelerates, down 20% in biggest selloff since March.
However, most observers believe the price dip is healthy amid the overheated market.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/01/11/...cy-market.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 06:18 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,219,051 times
It’s back down to it’s price from...last Tuesday. Hardly a sell off when you look at it that way.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:25 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,381,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
nearly $170 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours as bitcoin pulls back on monday.
The sell-off in cryptocurrencies comes after a huge rally and perhaps signals some profit-taking from investors. The plunge accelerates, down 20% in biggest selloff since march.
However, most observers believe the price dip is healthy amid the overheated market.
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/01/11/...cy-market.html
LOL
About time.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:36 AM

24,419 posts, read 27,116,109 times
Yeah, I wouldn't worry. I expect bitcoin to have big swings. It was 17k 30 days ago.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,044,318 times

profit taking time perhaps. 75-87% is the usual, but it pegged 74 first time since late 2017.

2010 to now.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:39 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,281,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
It’s back down to it’s price from...last Tuesday. Hardly a sell off when you look at it that way.
Yep, only up 80% in the last month after this "sell-off".

Old 01-11-2021, 06:53 AM

80 posts, read 35,554 times
Just a curiosity question...

What are the chances of the United States declaring Bitcoin illegal for purchases in the United States because the US dollar is the only legal tender in the country?

I'm just curious because, technically I believe it is the law, but clearly things have changed over the years and an un-enforced law on the books is just that. After all, there are stores out there right now refusing to accept cash for goods and no one has brought this up. Things are purchased from all around the world as well.

At the same time, it seems like the Feds have been quietly getting in position to crack down on Bitcoin holdings. Has anyone done any research on this?

Old 01-11-2021, 06:54 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,219,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
LOL
About time.
Honestly, you should be looking at this time as an opportunity to jump in. Start small and then build up as your confidence in this investment grows.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:58 AM

24,419 posts, read 27,116,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaScribe View Post
Just a curiosity question...

What are the chances of the United States declaring Bitcoin illegal for purchases in the United States because the US dollar is the only legal tender in the country?

I'm just curious because, technically I believe it is the law, but clearly things have changed over the years and an un-enforced law on the books is just that. After all, there are stores out there right now refusing to accept cash for goods and no one has brought this up. Things are purchased from all around the world as well.

At the same time, it seems like the Feds have been quietly getting in position to crack down on Bitcoin holdings. Has anyone done any research on this?

This was emailed from Catherine Wood this morning...

The OCC Has Given Banks the Green Light to Use Public Blockchain Networks and Stablecoins

[LEFT][LEFT] By Yassine Elmandjra | @yassineARK
Analyst [/LEFT][/LEFT]

On Monday, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) published an interpretive letter addressing INVNs - independent node verification networks, or public blockchains - and stablecoins. In the letter, the OCC announced that financial institutions will be able to use INVNs to streamline payment functions like processing, validation, and settlement.
As a result, national banks and federal savings associations can participate as nodes on public blockchains. As highlighted in the letter, “The OCC has recognized that bank-permissible activities may be conducted with new and evolving technologies. INVNs and related stablecoins represent new technological means of carrying out bank-permissible payment activities and therefore conclude that a bank may validate, store, and record payment transactions by serving as a node on an INVN.”
In our view, Bitcoin could become the default settlement system for banks and businesses. Unlike traditional settlement systems, Bitcoin’s network is global and cannot censor transactions. Perhaps more important, unlike central banks, Bitcoin’s network cannot inflate the number of bitcoin outstanding beyond the mathematically metered increases put in place at its inception. If it were to capture 10% of financial intermediary settlement volumes just in the United States, our analysis suggests that Bitcoin’s network value would increase by an additional $1.5 trillion and the bitcoin price would rise by roughly $75,000.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:04 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,381,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Honestly, you should be looking at this time as an opportunity to jump in. Start small and then build up as your confidence in this investment grows.
I don't believe in bitcoin at all. Even though I trade a lot, I trade conservatively.
I saw what happened to bitcoin the last time there was bitcoin mania at the end of 2017 - it lost 2/3 of its value - fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing