Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 07:35 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,281,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Agree. I've been following this for about the past 2 weeks. Been telling my friends we're witnessing history. Basically a crowd sourced short squeeze. I jumped in on BB this week. Let's see where they can take it.
Andrew Left (Citron) was so smug thinking he could use a livestream to run the stock down. He suffered public humiliation and financial destruction at the hands of a coordinated group of internet kids who held strong. The Redditor whose name can't be repeated here that predicted the short squeeze last year and threw $53K into long calls finished Friday with a little over $11MM in his account. The days of the big public shorts may be over. History indeed. BB is next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 07:37 AM

5,516 posts, read 6,374,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Agree. I've been following this for about the past 2 weeks. Been telling my friends we're witnessing history. Basically a crowd sourced short squeeze. I jumped in on BB this week. Let's see where they can take it.
Agreed. I’m seriously considering BB, BBBY and PLTR on Monday. BBBY is especially interesting - 70 plus % short interest and the company is in the midst of a huge share repurchase plan. Look for anything with a large short interest, fairly low float and any possible positive catalyst on the horizon. I’m thinking RKT looks like a good candidate as well. They actually earn profits LOL.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:42 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,548,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I told y'all that the short squeeze was coming when it was trading at $18-$19 and the WSB gang was hand over fist buying shares and calls. Of course I didn't take a position. I coulda been a Big Bullish millionaire in one week. The guy who was calling the squeeze last year at WSB posted screen shots of his trades as he put $53,000 (his entire account) into 2021 calls when GME was trading at $4. He updated his account through the entire runup. Turned out quite well.
He turned $53K into $11M, absolutely incredible. I got in on the GME buying on Thursday at $41, still holding so we'll see how high it can go. Definitely considering buying BB on Monday, and already have a position in PLTR. All play money, of course, in my Roth IRA. Nothing I can't afford to lose, so it's no biggie. YOLO

Old 01-23-2021, 09:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,281,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
He turned $53K into $11M, absolutely incredible. I got in on the GME buying on Thursday at $41, still holding so we'll see how high it can go. Definitely considering buying BB on Monday, and already have a position in PLTR. All play money, of course, in my Roth IRA. Nothing I can't afford to lose, so it's no biggie. YOLO
This is a great example of the dangers of shorting. The gang at WSB has a lot of community support (and peer pressure) not to sell GME. It's like a real-time experiment in investor psychology and positive reinforcement. It's been very exciting to see this unwind and I expect the best is yet to come (shouted in my best Kimberly Guilfoyle voice). The shorts are so convinced that the crash is imminent that they can't (so far) bring themselves to cover after such a quick run. There is a breaking point but we haven't seen it yet. I'm guessing up another 20% Monday.

disclosure: I have no positions in GME.

Old 01-23-2021, 11:24 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,571,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Agreed. I’m seriously considering BB, BBBY and PLTR on Monday. BBBY is especially interesting - 70 plus % short interest and the company is in the midst of a huge share repurchase plan. Look for anything with a large short interest, fairly low float and any possible positive catalyst on the horizon. I’m thinking RKT looks like a good candidate as well. They actually earn profits LOL.
I’m intrigued, plus I’ve got a little play money set aside to make an aggressive bet. What were you thinking for BB and BBBY? I’m still locked-up on my pre-IPO PLTR shares, but this might be a good time to hedge.

Old 01-23-2021, 12:03 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,374,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I’m intrigued, plus I’ve got a little play money set aside to make an aggressive bet. What were you thinking for BB and BBBY? I’m still locked-up on my pre-IPO PLTR shares, but this might be a good time to hedge.
I’m thinking a smallish initial bet, maybe $1k into each, and possibly GME too depending on how it opens.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:04 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,944,816 times
It's a short squeeze AND a gamma squeeze. There is a very good probability that the bloodbath for shorts is no where done yet. There are still a huge number of shares shorted on GME, and come Mon. the gamma squeeze will also continue as everyone and their mom is planning on buying calls on GME. Funds and MMs are going to lose their shirts on GME. They were stupid for shorting GME.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:15 AM

5,344 posts, read 6,188,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
It's a short squeeze AND a gamma squeeze. There is a very good probability that the bloodbath for shorts is no where done yet. There are still a huge number of shares shorted on GME, and come Mon. the gamma squeeze will also continue as everyone and their mom is planning on buying calls on GME. Funds and MMs are going to lose their shirts on GME. They were stupid for shorting GME.
Yup, it was just the gamma squeeze on Friday. If the shorts don't start their cover at open Monday I'm going in for at least a few K. This thing could still run a few 100% with how limited the float that's not sold short is.

Old 01-24-2021, 01:39 PM

7,669 posts, read 4,657,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Yeah, like PLUG.....
Anyone short on GME yesterday now has to beg for change to buy breakfast today, LOL

I am finally forced to admit that the old rules don't seem to apply any longer, a mob of robin hood type investors can make or break any company at least in the short run, fundamentals don't seem to matter. It's really starting to look like the 1999 internet bubble again, but I'm not going to even try to predict when the bubble pops. Could be years from now.

Don't get too down on yourself, it's just the new style. They change from time to time. Remember when growth was a fool's errand compared to value investing? Or when Peapod was going to take over the world of food?

We'll play pop up the best story for a year or two and then we'll get the pop. The real number is the amount of money sitting in VC. They need to spin stories and sell their pipe dreams. Hell even MGTI is looking like it might make another run on pure nothing.

Up can be down for awhile, but eventually it reverts and is on to the next anomaly. I liked the report on PLUG. However, not buying something is different from shorting it. If you're great at charts, then you can play the roulette wheel with the other chartists....just realize these companies with nothing in them have nothing other that chartists pushing it around. Huge gains and losses can be made, but it's a different type of trading.

Old 01-24-2021, 05:10 PM

4,422 posts, read 2,976,258 times
Reddit posters drove it up? Yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing