Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 07:33 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Reading the WSB group right now... as I’m procrastinating getting ready to sleep. It’s a clown show in there though lol. Every other word is calling themselves retards, autistics and using the word “stonks” lol I liked them more when I didn’t see all their posts. Doesn’t change the fact what robinhood did was unethical and that I hope the shorts lose. There is going to be equal amount of blood spilled when this is over though.
You don’t know this. If they were in danger of meeting capital requirements it’s entirely warranted and a poorly run business but not unethical
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 08:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
For what AMC is selling for right now, its worth the bet IMHO. If it hits the $1000 mark or even just $100. You win.
If not you lose a few hundred
If the measly 10 shares i just bought helps destroy a scum bag hedge fund, even better.

Old 01-29-2021, 05:15 PM

62 posts, read 49,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
For every itm call that’s exercised there is a buy and a sell offsetting netting to 0 shares. The OCC handles the assignments to firms so are you sure there are massive buys going to to facilitate this?
for every exercised ITM call, the seller (usually the market maker) will need to provide 100 shares of the underlying stock to the buyer of the call.

today every single call option for GME at strike price 320 and below expired ITM, the sellers of these calls are on the hook to deliver these shares by monday/tuesday (i believe there is a 2 day window). i am fully expecting a gamma squeeze on monday or tuesday. if you look at the chart for today's price action for the last hour- you will see that the hedge funds/mm's tried hard to prevent the price from going above 300 and when that broke they tried to resist passing 320. in normal instances they wouldve been able to do this easily by shorting it down, however there were no available GME shares to short at this point.

so picture this: you have a stock that is shorted over 100% of its available float, you have massive retail buying and majority are holding their shares and are not selling.

now you have market makers trying to buy the shares that they owe for the ITM expired calls, in addition to the short sellers trying to cover their shorted shares (they are paying a ton of borrowing interest for these shorted shares fyi so they are bleeding every day that goes by).

you have a perfect storm and feedback loop of buyers buying and exercising ITM calls, causing a gamma squeeze which will drive up prices and eventually lead to a margin call from the short seller's brokers leading to the biggest short squeeze in history

why do you think all these trading platforms are placing so many trading restrictions on GME? simply because there is such a limited availability of GME shares

Last edited by awaken470; 01-29-2021 at 05:35 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 06:06 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaken470 View Post
for every exercised ITM call, the seller (usually the market maker) will need to provide 100 shares of the underlying stock to the buyer of the call.

today every single call option for GME at strike price 320 and below expired ITM, the sellers of these calls are on the hook to deliver these shares by monday/tuesday (i believe there is a 2 day window). i am fully expecting a gamma squeeze on monday or tuesday. if you look at the chart for today's price action for the last hour- you will see that the hedge funds/mm's tried hard to prevent the price from going above 300 and when that broke they tried to resist passing 320. in normal instances they wouldve been able to do this easily by shorting it down, however there were no available GME shares to short at this point.

so picture this: you have a stock that is shorted over 100% of its available float, you have massive retail buying and majority are holding their shares and are not selling.

now you have market makers trying to buy the shares that they owe for the ITM expired calls, in addition to the short sellers trying to cover their shorted shares (they are paying a ton of borrowing interest for these shorted shares fyi so they are bleeding every day that goes by).

you have a perfect storm and feedback loop of buyers buying and exercising ITM calls, causing a gamma squeeze which will drive up prices and eventually lead to a margin call from the short seller's brokers leading to the biggest short squeeze in history

why do you think all these trading platforms are placing so many trading restrictions on GME? simply because there is such a limited availability of GME shares
Blood Bath

Old 01-29-2021, 06:47 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You don’t know this. If they were in danger of meeting capital requirements it’s entirely warranted and a poorly run business but not unethical
Except Robinhood's CEO got on CNBC, Bloomberg and anywhere else they'd have him and he straight out said it wasn't a capital issue, so either the act itself was unethical or his explanation of it was. Either way the business is deservedly toast.

Old 01-29-2021, 09:24 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Except Robinhood's CEO got on CNBC, Bloomberg and anywhere else they'd have him and he straight out said it wasn't a capital issue, so either the act itself was unethical or his explanation of it was. Either way the business is deservedly toast.
Exactly

Old 01-29-2021, 09:59 PM

16 posts, read 7,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Reading the WSB group right now... as I’m procrastinating getting ready to sleep. It’s a clown show in there though lol. Every other word is calling themselves retards, autistics and using the word “stonks” lol I liked them more when I didn’t see all their posts. Doesn’t change the fact what robinhood did was unethical and that I hope the shorts lose. There is going to be equal amount of blood spilled when this is over though.
I think most of these guys are around 18-21 maybe younger in some cases, hence the silly comments etc.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:03 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,810,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM3 View Post
I think most of these guys are around 18-21 maybe younger in some cases, hence the silly comments etc.
There's surprisingly a good number of older people on WSB. Not only by them saying they have 25+ years experience but by the sound of their voice and the way they speak. They're less crazy than the 20 year olds but they also provide a great deal of information and essentially help teach everyone how markets work.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:14 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
The clearing house of Webush had told Webush not to allow anyone to open new position in certain stocks,as DTC said it may not be able to clear.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:15 PM

636 posts, read 328,225 times
Might be worth ten cents again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing