Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 04:04 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So you didn’t use any analytical model? Gotcha. You don’t know how CRE are performing at all nor do you know how they will perform especially in specific regional banking coverage areas. In other words you simply have a belief that is unfounded
Using an “analytical model” would not help or hurt the ability to predict what a stock will do. Bears and bulls both probably have their own “analytical models” that tell them different things. I honestly sounds like words you made up to try to sound smarter and something I never hear from professional investors. Also, my opinion is not unfounded because there are other professional investors who are saying now might be the time to buy regionals, so surely they used “analytical models” or whatever BS term you made up. If only I could create a great “analytical model” I could be rich!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 08:15 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Using an “analytical model” would not help or hurt the ability to predict what a stock will do. Bears and bulls both probably have their own “analytical models” that tell them different things. I honestly sounds like words you made up to try to sound smarter and something I never hear from professional investors. Also, my opinion is not unfounded because there are other professional investors who are saying now might be the time to buy regionals, so surely they used “analytical models” or whatever BS term you made up. If only I could create a great “analytical model” I could be rich!!
I’m not using words I made up, they existed prior to me and are used all the time in the investing world. Your opinion is unfounded because you have no basis to support it other than you heard some other people say something. Yeah great job on that research and pretending all the CRE fallout is crystal clear

Old 05-26-2023, 03:36 AM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times
Shall we get back on topic?

Old 06-01-2023, 04:26 PM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Can’t really go wrong there. Berkshire is Berkshire, and EWBC is a very well run bank with a unique and loyal customer base.

If you like EWBC, check out CATY. Very similar situation.

I traded CATY once before. It's ROE is about 5% less than EWBC and its ROA is about .1% less. Still, it's outpaced EWBC this year....though EWBC has handily beat it for longer terms. The two stocks trade about the same.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:20 PM

I'm not a trader. I don't buy and hold forever. But it takes a lot for me to abandon a security i know i have thoroughly researched. With regional banks, "now is our winter of discontent..." I still swear by BHB. Buying more.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:34 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
I'm not a trader. I don't buy and hold forever. But it takes a lot for me to abandon a security i know i have thoroughly researched. With regional banks, "now is our winter of discontent..." I still swear by BHB. Buying more.
Good question if/when the Fed pauses the rate hikes & holds stable or starts reducing into 2024. See if the bank runs are over by then & rebound 3-6 months later.

Old 06-02-2023, 01:55 PM

And with the debt ceiling thing in the rearview, there is a relief rally going on. BHB= up +7.97% in the closing moments. That great, but that's nuts. Shows how beaten down the thing has been. That stock and that bank don't deserve that.

On the other hand, in the same Northern New England region, there is the tiny Community Bancorp with HQ in Derby, Vermont, on the Quebec line. It is FLAT on the day. Jayzuz. CMTV.

Old 06-02-2023, 03:13 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
You may not notice but a lot of bank branches are closing. Those banks in grocery stores could be too close to a retail bank, so get closed. May wind up with 1/2 of the bank branches remaining.

In a EFT world no reason to have so many branches. Don't need so many ATM machines. Could be a deal in the future where you can use any ATM with no or very low fees.
I was noticing Chase building a ton of branches in and around our suburbs in Illinois maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I was scratching my head. I couldn't figure out why they would be building more branches when brick and mortar banking is clearly on the decline.

Old 06-03-2023, 08:51 AM

7,642 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I was noticing Chase building a ton of branches in and around our suburbs in Illinois maybe 5 or 6 years ago. I was scratching my head. I couldn't figure out why they would be building more branches when brick and mortar banking is clearly on the decline.

I'm not sure it's on the decline. Maybe the ornate locations of yesteryear bank buildings are obsolete, but so long as people have money, they'll have issues with their money to take care of. Businesses still can deposit checks and cash etc. JPM actually is one of the higher charging banks for depositing cash if you're a business.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:42 PM

The BIG 5 Canadian banks have been buying regional banks in the USA in order to grow. Example: BMO and Harris.

CIBC is doing the same. I think they are re-branding them as "CIBC/USA." Formerly Private Bank.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIBC_Bank_USA

The BIG 5 are certainly not regional. They basically have a monopoly among themselves, north of the border, with about 90% of all deposits.

Regional banks in the USA on Friday alone, 02 June, 2023:

BHB. +7.12%
SMMF. +5.97
CMTV. FLAT.
FFIC. +8.71
OCFC. +6.85
CCBG. +6.03
CAC. -1.17%
KTHN. FLAT?
NRIM. +3.08
CATC. +6.54
Just one day, though..... And how long before the Fed stops raising and HOLDS rates? Better yet, when will the Fed REDUCE rates? I believe it won't be for a year or more. I write this fearless prognostication on 03 June, 2023.

Way more hiring than expected in May. But I bet a lot of it is summer jobs for students. So, is the TOOL they are using giving them the sort of info they actually NEED?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing