Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2023, 12:58 PM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

24 Things I Believe About Investing

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2023/0 ... investing/

Here are some things I believe about investing.

1. I believe simple beats complex. The problem is simple is much harder to implement because complex will always sound more intelligent and appealing.

2. I believe the timing of buy or sell decisions matters less than your holding period. Picking tops and bottoms is for the lucky and the liars. Patiently holding onto your investments is more important for most investors than timing.

3. I believe you should ignore what billionaires and legendary investors think about the markets. These people don’t share your circumstances, time horizon or risk profile. Why should you take investing advice from them?

4. I believe self-control can make you far more money than just about any other trait as an investor. I know plenty of high IQ people who are terrible investors because they don’t have the right temperament.

5. I believe every investor in risk assets should be comfortable seeing their money incinerated on occasion. During bear markets and corrections some of your money simply vanishes. That’s just part of investing.

6. I believe being bullish or bearish matters less than progress towards your goals. Your personal financial circumstances should dictate how you invest far more than what you think will happen in the markets. You don’t need to have an opinion on whether markets are going higher or lower in the short-run.

7. I believe risk management is important but you have to take risk to make money. Managing risk is a major component of portfolio management but you can’t avoid risk altogether. You have to invest in something.

8. I believe process is more important than outcomes but at some point performance matters. A successful investment process requires making good decisions over and over again. But you have to understand the difference between discipline and delusion if your process isn’t working.

9. I believe a good strategy you can stick with is vastly superior to a great one you can’t stick with. Perfect is often the enemy of good when it comes to investment behavior.

10. I believe it’s basically impossible to forecast the economy. Even the Fed can’t figure out the path of interest rates, inflation and economic growth and it’s part of their job. If we’re being honest, no one truly understands how the economy works.

11. I believe it’s much easier to explain what just happened than predict what will happen next. The only constants in finance are human nature and moving the goalposts when you’re wrong. Pundits are very good at telling you why something unexpected was obvious in hindsight even when all of their predictions about the future have been wrong.

12. I believe defining what you won’t invest in is more important than what you will invest in. Investors have never had it better but the paradox of choice can be paralyzing. You can find liberation by limiting yourself to certain types of investments and ignoring everything else.

13. I believe there are many different paths to being a successful investor but only a handful of ways to fail. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to investing the right way. But unsuccessful investors typically exhibit the same poor investment behavior — market timing, overtrading, trying to outsmart the market, being overconfident in your investment abilities, investing based on political beliefs, etc.

14. I believe markets are right most of the time but not all the time. Markets are kind of, sort of efficient. But just because markets can be crazy at times doesn’t mean it’s easy to beat them.

15. I believe fighting the last war can get you into trouble. The next risk is rarely like the last risk.

16. I believe every investor has their own behavioral blindspots. Knowing yourself is more important than worrying about what other investors are up to.

17. I believe a long time horizon is the ultimate equalizer in the markets. A long enough time horizon is the best hedge against most market risks.

18. I believe useful investment advice is nearly impossible to accept during booms and busts. No one wants to hear about being responsible during a rip-roaring bull market just like no one wants to hear about the virtues of buy and hold during a soul-crushing bear market.

19. I believe long-term returns are the only ones that matter but you have to survive the short-term. As Daniel Kahneman once said, “The long-term is not where life is lived.”

20. I believe most disagreements about markets come down to differences in time horizon and risk tolerance. Markets are full of people with different goals, opinions, time horizons and appetite for risk. That’s what makes a market. It’s also what causes arguments and why there is always a buyer for every seller.

21. I believe nothing about investing is ever easy, but we still make it harder than it has to be. There are no points awarded for the degree of difficulty when it comes to making money in the markets.

22. I believe optimists are better investors than pessimists. They say hope is not an investment strategy, but it kind of is in a way. If you don’t think things will be better in the future than they are today, what’s the point of investing in the first place?

23. I believe doing nothing is the best investment decision most of the time. As long as you have a plan in place, doing nothing is perfectly rational investment behavior.

24. I believe it’s OK to build wealth slowly. Someone once asked Jeff Bezos the best advice he ever received from Warren Buffett. Bezos asked Buffett if his investment ideas are so simple and he’s so rich why doesn’t everyone copy him?

To which Buffett replied, “Because nobody wants to get rich slow.”

None of us are going to be the next Buffett but this idea is more realistic than assuming you can get rich overnight.

Old 10-01-2023, 03:40 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
24 Things I Believe About Investing

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2023/0 ... investing/

Here are some things I believe about investing.

1. I believe simple beats complex. The problem is simple is much harder to implement because complex will always sound more intelligent and appealing.

2. I believe the timing of buy or sell decisions matters less than your holding period. Picking tops and bottoms is for the lucky and the liars. Patiently holding onto your investments is more important for most investors than timing.

3. I believe you should ignore what billionaires and legendary investors think about the markets. These people don’t share your circumstances, time horizon or risk profile. Why should you take investing advice from them?

4. I believe self-control can make you far more money than just about any other trait as an investor. I know plenty of high IQ people who are terrible investors because they don’t have the right temperament.

5. I believe every investor in risk assets should be comfortable seeing their money incinerated on occasion. During bear markets and corrections some of your money simply vanishes. That’s just part of investing.

6. I believe being bullish or bearish matters less than progress towards your goals. Your personal financial circumstances should dictate how you invest far more than what you think will happen in the markets. You don’t need to have an opinion on whether markets are going higher or lower in the short-run.

7. I believe risk management is important but you have to take risk to make money. Managing risk is a major component of portfolio management but you can’t avoid risk altogether. You have to invest in something.

8. I believe process is more important than outcomes but at some point performance matters. A successful investment process requires making good decisions over and over again. But you have to understand the difference between discipline and delusion if your process isn’t working.

9. I believe a good strategy you can stick with is vastly superior to a great one you can’t stick with. Perfect is often the enemy of good when it comes to investment behavior.

10. I believe it’s basically impossible to forecast the economy. Even the Fed can’t figure out the path of interest rates, inflation and economic growth and it’s part of their job. If we’re being honest, no one truly understands how the economy works.

11. I believe it’s much easier to explain what just happened than predict what will happen next. The only constants in finance are human nature and moving the goalposts when you’re wrong. Pundits are very good at telling you why something unexpected was obvious in hindsight even when all of their predictions about the future have been wrong.

12. I believe defining what you won’t invest in is more important than what you will invest in. Investors have never had it better but the paradox of choice can be paralyzing. You can find liberation by limiting yourself to certain types of investments and ignoring everything else.

13. I believe there are many different paths to being a successful investor but only a handful of ways to fail. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to investing the right way. But unsuccessful investors typically exhibit the same poor investment behavior — market timing, overtrading, trying to outsmart the market, being overconfident in your investment abilities, investing based on political beliefs, etc.

14. I believe markets are right most of the time but not all the time. Markets are kind of, sort of efficient. But just because markets can be crazy at times doesn’t mean it’s easy to beat them.

15. I believe fighting the last war can get you into trouble. The next risk is rarely like the last risk.

16. I believe every investor has their own behavioral blindspots. Knowing yourself is more important than worrying about what other investors are up to.

17. I believe a long time horizon is the ultimate equalizer in the markets. A long enough time horizon is the best hedge against most market risks.

18. I believe useful investment advice is nearly impossible to accept during booms and busts. No one wants to hear about being responsible during a rip-roaring bull market just like no one wants to hear about the virtues of buy and hold during a soul-crushing bear market.

19. I believe long-term returns are the only ones that matter but you have to survive the short-term. As Daniel Kahneman once said, “The long-term is not where life is lived.”

20. I believe most disagreements about markets come down to differences in time horizon and risk tolerance. Markets are full of people with different goals, opinions, time horizons and appetite for risk. That’s what makes a market. It’s also what causes arguments and why there is always a buyer for every seller.

21. I believe nothing about investing is ever easy, but we still make it harder than it has to be. There are no points awarded for the degree of difficulty when it comes to making money in the markets.

22. I believe optimists are better investors than pessimists. They say hope is not an investment strategy, but it kind of is in a way. If you don’t think things will be better in the future than they are today, what’s the point of investing in the first place?

23. I believe doing nothing is the best investment decision most of the time. As long as you have a plan in place, doing nothing is perfectly rational investment behavior.

24. I believe it’s OK to build wealth slowly. Someone once asked Jeff Bezos the best advice he ever received from Warren Buffett. Bezos asked Buffett if his investment ideas are so simple and he’s so rich why doesn’t everyone copy him?

To which Buffett replied, “Because nobody wants to get rich slow.”

None of us are going to be the next Buffett but this idea is more realistic than assuming you can get rich overnight.
Lots of great investment in there MJ!

Old 10-01-2023, 04:29 PM

106,729 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Lots of great investment in there MJ!
pretty close to harry browns rules

Old 10-01-2023, 06:05 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,909 times
We have a 23 trillion dollar economy

How and what exactly is going to erode 5-6 trillion ( assuming 20%+ would be considered "cratering "it) ?

Be specific

Last edited by Lizap; 10-01-2023 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Edited out political post to which FREE866 responded

Old 10-01-2023, 06:24 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
pretty close to harry browns rules
Sorry, I meant to say investing wisdom lol.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:29 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
You're just barking out fear mongering sound bytes

Quantify it....how is 5 trillion dollars getting sucked out of the economy?
Rising interest rates, record credit card debt, higher inflation than is being reported.
Middle class is being squeezed.
All the signs are there. I'll stay in bonds right now.

Old 10-01-2023, 06:44 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Rising interest rates, record credit card debt, higher inflation than is being reported.
Middle class is being squeezed.
All the signs are there. I'll stay in bonds right now.

Interest rates have been rising for 15 months and although they might go higher a bit we are clearly at the end of the tightening cycle.

Credit card debt as a % of income, GDP and deposits is much lower than it was 10-20 years ago

"middle class is being squeezed" is a headline grab I've been hearing for decades. regardless , you can't quantify the consequence of that anyway.

None of the factors you mention come close to walloping the economy by 5 trillion dollars!!!

More importantly , as it relates to this thread, the stock market doesn't need a booming economy to do well. We have a century of awesome returns that prove that.

Old 10-01-2023, 10:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,745 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
I'm genuinely impressed with your shorting record. No sarcasm intended. I rarely short any company.
It's quite a lot easier (and faster) to short the indexes via 2x-3x inverse EFT's

and covered calls on your LT holds.

It's all just tools in your plan.

Don't go 'all in' on any one thing. (because you are sure to be wrong sometimes, maybe often)

Old 10-02-2023, 07:23 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Fair point, but Florida doesn't ever post trades and then criticizes my style?
That's because I don't "trade." I invest my money for the long-term.

Old 10-02-2023, 07:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's because I don't "trade." I invest my money for the long-term.
Welcome back.

I also invest for the long term. I've been on a mission to early retire, for about 3 decades. Shortly after I got into the workforce, I discovered I'd rather be doing other things with my time. And I am going to at least semi retire well before I can collect Social Security. My strategy has been unorthodox and is mainly due to not overspending, but getting decent investing returns is also part of it. Hint: small house, paid off cars, keep debt under control, and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing