Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,352,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
seems like the Hawkeye Nation would fight the governor and senate tooth and nail over ISU membership in the Big Ten.

They've got a good deal with the Big Ten out in Iowa City. The only conference school in the state, a small state that relies heavily on recruiting in adjacent heavily populated states.

Chicago, for example, is (among other things) very much Hawkeye country. It hardly serves the University of Iowa to make it a recruiting ground for the Cyclones.

The University of Iowa transcends the state of Iowa in its relationship with the Big Ten. Far to the east in state, an hour to the Mississippi, the university has been shaped by its nearness to the Great Lakes states that came along with location and Big Ten membership. The University of Iowa, in its way, through enrollment and essence of the institution, is a university of east of the Mississippi River as well as the west. The University of Oklahoma is pure Oklahoma, the image of the state. The University of Iowa is hardly a mirror for the state of its name in such a degree.

Iowa is Big Ten heartland; Iowa State, not so much. The Big Ten loves the University of Iowa and sees it as full member in great standing in the conference. Such a position would be severely compromised if the conference had two schools in state.
So, do people breath oxygen in your world too? Sounds like a wonderful fantasyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM

681 posts, read 3,036,890 times
Quote:
seems like the Hawkeye Nation would fight the governor and senate tooth and nail over ISU membership in the Big Ten.

They've got a good deal with the Big Ten out in Iowa City. The only conference school in the state, a small state that relies heavily on recruiting in adjacent heavily populated states.

Chicago, for example, is (among other things) very much Hawkeye country. It hardly serves the University of Iowa to make it a recruiting ground for the Cyclones.

The University of Iowa transcends the state of Iowa in its relationship with the Big Ten. Far to the east in state, an hour to the Mississippi, the university has been shaped by its nearness to the Great Lakes states that came along with location and Big Ten membership. The University of Iowa, in its way, through enrollment and essence of the institution, is a university of east of the Mississippi River as well as the west. The University of Oklahoma is pure Oklahoma, the image of the state. The University of Iowa is hardly a mirror for the state of its name in such a degree.

Iowa is Big Ten heartland; Iowa State, not so much. The Big Ten loves the University of Iowa and sees it as full member in great standing in the conference. Such a position would be severely compromised if the conference had two schools in state.
I see your points, and to some degree I agree, but I don't think ISU in the Big 10 is going to be as bad for Iowa as you say. I think the relationship between Iowa and ISU in the Big 10 would be like Illinois and Northwestern--room for both. The Big 10 doesn't think any less of Illinois because of Northwestern, and I don't think they'll think less of Iowa with ISU.

Plus, Iowa is always going to be the better deal for recruits out of Chicagoland, even if ISU starts putting their line in the water. ISU is always going to have better luck drawing farm boys than Chicago recruits.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,841,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20loo-iowa View Post
Just wondering if hawkeye football was the only big ten (10) school with only three blacks on deffence and only two (2) on offence year after year?Also i'm wondering if the hawkeyes are the only big 10 school that is not located in a state with pro football? just wondering if iowa ran george ravlen out of town for bringing in to many black players, reason i ask is because every since there has never been no more than 2-3 black players on this team at once,maybe 4 players.Why are the hawkeyes football only good every 8-9 years and why all of this false pride about hawkeye football ,it's not like they are big dogs or anything? just wondering thats all.
jeeeeeeeeeeez, h201, I live in Chicago, the capital of the Midwest, and you see so many Hawkeye stickers on windows of cars, Iowa might as well be OUR state university.

Indeed, I don't think you'd find one high end suburban Chicago high school that isn't loaded with kids heading off to Iowa City, arguably more so than any other place but Champaign.

No knock against Iowa State. It's a fine school and one that Iowa should be rightfully proud. But givemeabreak. Iowa is the real deal, it far transcends your own state and is a major part of what makes Big Ten country work.

A few years back, Northern Illinois had a "home" game at Soldier Field and invited Iowa. NIU knew what it was getting: a home game in revenue and uniform color only. Other than that, Soldier Field was unquestionably Kinnick East.

Your sour grapes are swirling in a cyclone of envy, h201. Please don't kid yourself: the Hawkeye State is the Hawkeyes' State. Unless you're ames-less to discover the truth.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
I see your points, and to some degree I agree, but I don't think ISU in the Big 10 is going to be as bad for Iowa as you say. I think the relationship between Iowa and ISU in the Big 10 would be like Illinois and Northwestern--room for both. The Big 10 doesn't think any less of Illinois because of Northwestern, and I don't think they'll think less of Iowa with ISU.

Plus, Iowa is always going to be the better deal for recruits out of Chicagoland, even if ISU starts putting their line in the water. ISU is always going to have better luck drawing farm boys than Chicago recruits.
er....technically speaking, sholdn't the Big Ten...if it were to think so..think less of Northwestern because of Illinois.

You do know for the last ten years or so, Northwestern has virtually owned Illinois in a series that is surprisingly close and in now way like the numbers in the Iowa-ISU series. Evanston is on Chicago's door step, Champaign 150 miles away.

Besides, it is all about recruiting anyway. Iowa would be nuts to give ISU the edge of conference membership.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
So, do people breath oxygen in your world too? Sounds like a wonderful fantasyland.
absolutely. in gorgeous shades of black and gold. Hey. Gimmeabreak. I started this all to say that ISU got screwed by its Big 12 bretheren and that the conference break up sadly hands the state lock, stock, and barrel to the Hawkeyes.

That isn't a good thing. On the other hands, it's not the Hawkeyes fault. Iowa doesn't control Nebraska, Missouri, OU, UT, A&M , CU.

As noted, capital, ISU is a wonderful school (a top notch institution, academically...although hardly athletically...a much better conference fit than UNL). And Iowa still has far more impact. I'll admit I went to Iowa (since I'm sure it seems obvious) but the nature knows that truth about the two schools even if some of you Iowans with cardinal roots do not.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 AM

586 posts, read 2,186,002 times
When you say athletically, you're really just talking football right? Surely you're not minimizing the Cyclones wrestling program (where the Hawks are just barely better than the usual #2 or #3 ranked Cyclones). And I'm pretty sure you're not including basketball in the fray. For the past few years, Hawkeye basketball has been about as exciting as watching the corn grow.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
When you say athletically, you're really just talking football right? Surely you're not minimizing the Cyclones wrestling program (where the Hawks are just barely better than the usual #2 or #3 ranked Cyclones). And I'm pretty sure you're not including basketball in the fray. For the past few years, Hawkeye basketball has been about as exciting as watching the corn grow.
yes, i was thinking football. although i have to see that Iowa's split based on fan support for two in-state public flagships is wider than most. My guess is that U-M/MSU, IU/Purdue, among many others is a much smaller percent difference than what you would see with Ia/ISU

Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,352,090 times
Quote:
yes, i was thinking football. although i have to see that Iowa's split based on fan support for two in-state public flagships is wider than most. My guess is that U-M/MSU, IU/Purdue, among many others is a much smaller percent difference than what you would see with Ia/ISU
1) what in the world are you trying to claim here? (pls clarify)
2) once clarified, pls provide some evidence that it is in fact true.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
1) what in the world are you trying to claim here? (pls clarify)
2) once clarified, pls provide some evidence that it is in fact true.
I give up. You win. It's Cyclone country all the way.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:34 PM

586 posts, read 2,186,002 times
I get what you were trying to say edsg25, but you have to realize how your posts read to the 30-40% of Iowa that supports ISU athletics. Your earlier posts read as if Hawk fans are predomintently overly gleeful that their friendly in state rival is about to be dumped on in a major way. I may be in the minority but if the shoe were on the other foot, as an Iowan I wouldn't be jumping up and down with joy if the Big 10 were dissolving and Iowa were left by the wayside. Perhaps the difference is that you're an Iowa alum and not an Iowan. Personally, I enjoyed the years that both teams were competitive in their respective conferences because it elevated the sports profiles of both major teams in this state.

I'm no UNI fan, but I love it when their sports teams achieve greatness, just as I rooted for the Hawkeyes during their bowl game appearances despite being a Cyclones fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa