Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 AM

389 posts, read 921,101 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 11:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Galena looks like a hick town to me. Suprised you call it beautiful.

HyVee stores have sushi. Next time you are unhappy with bacon on the salads, look in the other case.

As for the rest of your list like wanting to go to chains like Einstien Bagels and Macy's...not all chains are in all parts of the country. If I go to Las Vegas I can't go to Taco John's, so I guess that means something is wrong with las Vegas?

And skinny girls with full white teeth? Seriously? Wow.

I'd say Dubuque isn't the problem here. There's a thread in the Des Moines forum just like this. Someone mad that Des Moines doesn't offer everything Chicago and New York offer. It never will, and neither will Dubuque. If someone is looking for a place to see Jerry Seinfield, then they need to move to a much bigger city.

Edit: Sushi http://www.takeouttonight.com/menus/...888/index.html

Last edited by ElleTea; 07-08-2012 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Galena looks like a hick town to me. Suprised you call it beautiful.

HyVee stores have sushi. Next time you are unhappy with bacon on the salads, look in the other case.

As for the rest of your list like wanting to go to chains like Einstien Bagels and Macy's...not all chains are in all parts of the country. If I go to Las Vegas I can't go to Taco John's, so I guess that means something is wrong with las Vegas?

And skinny girls with full white teeth? Seriously? Wow.

I'd say Dubuque isn't the problem here. There's a thread in the Des Moines forum just like this. Someone mad that Des Moines doesn't offer everything Chicago and New York offer. It never will, and neither will Dubuque. If someone is looking for a place to see Jerry Seinfield, then they need to move to a much bigger city.

Edit: Sushi Taiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar Restaurant Dubuque, IA 52003 Restaurant Menus - Taiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar Dubuque, IA 52003 Restaurant Coupons - Taiko Japanese Steakhouse & Sushi Bar Dubuque, IA 52003 Restaurant Specials
Galena hick town? huh? You sound jealous to me. Is it maybe because Galena is not in Iowa? Downtown i Galena looks better preserved and Main St has more shops, cafes, bars than Main st of Dubuque. East Dubuque is a real hick town. I'd say even Cedar Rapids is a hick town despite being bigger.

I am not mad at Dubuque for not offering everything Chicago or NYC has to offer. Me and other IBMers (as well former) have been little upset at IBM for setting its shop in so remote area that is even hard to travel on weekends to other towns except Davenport, Madison or CR. They forced no new entry level employees, but they did force many old loyal employees who have worked there for over 10 years to relocate from larger towns to remote places like Dubuque or Columbia in MO. Try to go to Chicago or Minneapolis between Galena and Freeport. Its no fun ride, especially after dark. Also the locals in Dubuque could have been more open, take lessons from outsiders and be more customer service oriented. They could start by offering better cuisine, making better ethnic foods. For mexican foods, they could offer a real chili instead ketchup or tabasco. The sandwich shops like Supreme Subs could better match to Subway and offer more variety of break and toast. But until the town lets Subway set it up show in core downtown to compete, it won't happen. The workers at Subway in East Dubuque told me they had interest in moving to downtown Dubuque but the officials did not let them. Coffee shops in Dubuque are not bad. Jiffers Coffee and Cafe or Monks have decent menu. But most cities, even towns of the size like Dubuque in this country have standalone Starbucks stores (not talking about in-store franchises like ones at Target). If you're a frequent customer at Starbucks you get free drinks on birthday and every 15 visits. They also offer wider variety of breakfast and deserts, something local cafe shops lack. The fact that Macys or Nortstrom isn't in Dubuque is understandable, but its not for me. Dubuque could really benefit from better direct connection to Chicago. But until this happens its gonna always be what it is. We'll see what happens once Amtrak train service resumes between Dubuque and Chicago.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Small town USA isn't my cup of tea. The small town Main Street look of Galena looks hick town to me. How does that make me jealous because it isn't it Iowa? That is just silly. Iowa isn't the be-all end-all of the world and there are plenty of cool pilaces outside of the state, of course! I really don't get that comment at all.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Small town USA isn't my cup of tea. The small town Main Street look of Galena looks hick town to me. How does that make me jealous because it isn't it Iowa? That is just silly. Iowa isn't the be-all end-all of the world and there are plenty of cool pilaces outside of the state, of course! I really don't get that comment at all.
Can you find and post pictures of towns that look better than Galena? And have you seen Galena Territory? Many people go there for a vacation.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Can you find and post pictures of towns that look better than Galena? And have you seen Galena Territory? Many people go there for a vacation.
I am going by the small town-y look of the picture YOU posted. Not interested in that at all. As for towns that look better than Galena...how about:

I've not been to Galena. Wait, may I went through it on the way back from Madison years ago. Is it the town famous for antiques? (also not interested)

Last edited by ElleTea; 07-08-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Quote:
Small town USA isn't my cup of tea.
I used to tease my friends the two years I lived in Des Moines by calling it a cornfield with stoplights. They were not amused.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
I used to tease my friends the two years I lived in Des Moines by calling it a cornfield with stoplights. They were not amused.
Yes it's definitely more than that! It would be hard to fit a metro area of over 560,000 in a cornfield

You don't have to go far, though, to find that.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I am going by the small town-y look of the picture YOU posted. Not interested in that at all. As for towns that look better than Galena...how about:

I've not been to Galena. Wait, may I went through it on the way back from Madison years ago. Is it the town famous for antiques? (also not interested)
Thats las vegas. Thats different kind of town. We don't compare apples to oranges.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
I remember seeing this in the news before I lived in Iowa.

Racial Tension Smolders in City Once Tagged 'Selma of the North' : Integration: Plan to bring more minorities to Dubuque, Iowa, has triggered confrontation and cross-burnings. - Los Angeles Times

I'm not sure what it is like now. I seldom go to Dubuque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa