Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:47 PM

389 posts, read 921,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Amen!

Rep for you!
So u have breathed in more car pollution in the city, and more pesticides in a small farm town.
And have met more polite yet fake people in a village while rude and honest in a big city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM

And please for the last time, I advise anyone who works for IBM, to not move to Dubuque or Columbia. You will regret it. Majority of ibmers don't like dbq, only a few like the poster above likes here. Sure if you're middle aged, religious, and have family you may love it here. But if you're young and you're looking for a girlfriend forget about this place. Too many ugly fat women in downtown. Men here are obese too. The sad indisputable truth is that Dubuque is one of the most obese cities in nation along with Rockford. Just go to any gym, and you'll notice the majority who work out there are only college students. And mcdonalds next to anytime fitness on central Ave instead of a cafe with protein shakes, salads, wraps doesn't make it better. Seriously no gym there has pool there open till 9 or 10 pm. No sauna or steam room. That's a very small town.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,306,819 times
So move if you are so miserable. End of story.

McDonald's next to a gym. So? Both are chains and both go where the business is.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
So move if you are so miserable. End of story.

McDonald's next to a gym. So? Both are chains and both go where the business is.
I already did that. Both are chains but they promote against each other in nutrition. If it was Subway or JambaJuice, that would be different. Subway from East Dubuque, had interest opening their store in downtown and officials did not let them.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 28,140 times
So Dubuque is full of obese people huh?

Part of the reasons Americans are so fat is due to the artificial hormones in meat, poor drinking water laced with flouride and fast food that is filled with fillers and addictive qualities that you make crave their food even more.

Many Americans are either working 2 jobs or have no job at all. So when you're unemployed you need to eat the dollar menu. Eating at whole foods is not an option. If I'm unemployed, steamed artichokes and chicken breasts are the last thing I think of. So you grab what you can afford at that time. And for the rest who have 2 or more jobs, eating on the run is usually the way they go.

Well 2/3 of Americans are considered obese, so I guess the Dubuque population will fit in quite nicely with the rest of the USA.

Well let's see, Hawaii has a lot of fat Hawaiians (especially the Samoans who could care less what others think) and Southern California has a lot of fat Hispanics (most Latino men like a woman who doesn't look like an eunuch drone). But then again, Southern California has a lot of thinner 10's. Especially 10's who smoke, use drugs, throw up their food to keep slim, but hey slim is it right?

You know Mayhem - you seem to be bent on attacking me personally and my view of life. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. You have your way of thinking and perception of the world and I have mine.

I find it hard to understand why such an "edumacated city feller" like yourself would resort to making judgements about who I am instead of just rendering your opinion.

Maybe you could use your "city smarts" to start a business teaching normal country folks how to eat right and shape up.

How does that sound?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferGal View Post
So Dubuque is full of obese people huh?

Part of the reasons Americans are so fat is due to the artificial hormones in meat, poor drinking water laced with flouride and fast food that is filled with fillers and addictive qualities that you make crave their food even more.

Many Americans are either working 2 jobs or have no job at all. So when you're unemployed you need to eat the dollar menu. Eating at whole foods is not an option. If I'm unemployed, steamed artichokes and chicken breasts are the last thing I think of. So you grab what you can afford at that time. And for the rest who have 2 or more jobs, eating on the run is usually the way they go.

BS. My parents who were poor growing up in rural area in eastern Europe during communism, all they had was eggs, milk and noodles they made themselves from water, flour and salt. Nor they died nor got obese. Its not all hormones or pesticides but saturated fat and lots of sugar that causes weight gain. Among this sedentary lifestyle and eating before bed compounds this problem. Little bit more research could help most people make better selections, there is Internet with free knowledge but the problem here is people are lazy and passive.

There is cheap but alternative flood source other than fast food but you have to look more carefully. Eggs, oatmeal, even some fruits like apple, banana rich in fiber (if purchased at discount stores like target ). Chicken breasts can be purchased cheap at $5 per pound. Bread at no more than $3. Grocery is still cheaper than eating fast food everyday.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
I already did that. Both are chains but they promote against each other in nutrition. If it was Subway or JambaJuice, that would be different. Subway from East Dubuque, had interest opening their store in downtown and officials did not let them.
JambaJuice? In Dubuque?

In Des Moines there was a Weight Watchers rigvht next to Baskin Robbins. So?

Are you saying that Subway wasnt allowed to open because the city didn't want "healthy" food there?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
JambaJuice? In Dubuque?

In Des Moines there was a Weight Watchers rigvht next to Baskin Robbins. So?

Are you saying that Subway wasnt allowed to open because the city didn't want "healthy" food there?
No, they're "protecting" local sandwich shops that offer no better value in meals than Subway. A lot of people just drive to East Dubuque anyway.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM

865 posts, read 624,052 times
Quote:
And please for the last time, I advise anyone who works for IBM, to not move to Dubuque or Columbia. You will regret it. Majority of ibmers don't like dbq, only a few like the poster above likes here. Sure if you're middle aged, religious, and have family you may love it here. But if you're young and you're looking for a girlfriend forget about this place. Too many ugly fat women in downtown. Men here are obese too. The sad indisputable truth is that Dubuque is one of the most obese cities in nation along with Rockford. Just go to any gym, and you'll notice the majority who work out there are only college students. And mcdonalds next to anytime fitness on central Ave instead of a cafe with protein shakes, salads, wraps doesn't make it better. Seriously no gym there has pool there open till 9 or 10 pm. No sauna or steam room. That's a very small town.
Interesting. I moved to Dubuque to work for IBM and haven't regretted it once.

In case you're wondering why you're getting so much backlash, it's because you're berating a town and it's citizens and presenting it as fact. People have different tastes and opinions. Just because they don't agree with yours doesn't make them wrong.

Your comment about the obesity in DBQ is ridiculous. Care to back that up with any facts and references, or is that yet another one of your opinions?

I have to ask...if you're so unbelievably unhappy with your job and where you live, WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE???

Old 07-22-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
No, they're "protecting" local sandwich shops that offer no better value in meals than Subway. A lot of people just drive to East Dubuque anyway.
Subway is crap, IMO. And they support Michael Vick, so I haven't been to one in over 2 years...and I'm not missing a thing. I'd choose a local sandwich shop or even Quizons over the nasty bread and low-grade veggies Subway sells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa