Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
That or just listen to their voices of experience

Honestly, Des Moines does have a few things, and Omaha does as well, but compared to the abundance of things in Chicago and the natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains and entertainment options of Denver, there is a very clear difference. I walk the talk, I moved to the Rocky Mountains
I can appreciate ALL landscapes in our country. It's amazing, really, how vastly different different regions are. Farmland and plains may be boring to some, but it's just another part of the US to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 725 times
IF you are a Western fan/Don't forget John Wayne's birthplace by any means! There is lots to see in Iowa but you have to be willing to give it a "chance"! Take it from a transplant who has been in all 50 states. Hopefully, the weather will hold like it is today and be near "picture perfect" for you instead of burning in the 90s like the week before! Be prepared for either/Watch the weather forecast and I think you'll find it's a lot more interesting here than you might have participated! In Des Moines proper, for example, remember the "Machine Shed" restaurant and Living History Farms (just as a start!) Hope you will respond to your trip through Iowa!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,351,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flobow View Post
IF you are a Western fan/Don't forget John Wayne's birthplace by any means! There is lots to see in Iowa but you have to be willing to give it a "chance"! Take it from a transplant who has been in all 50 states. Hopefully, the weather will hold like it is today and be near "picture perfect" for you instead of burning in the 90s like the week before! Be prepared for either/Watch the weather forecast and I think you'll find it's a lot more interesting here than you might have participated! In Des Moines proper, for example, remember the "Machine Shed" restaurant and Living History Farms (just as a start!) Hope you will respond to your trip through Iowa!
Point of clarification, LHF and the Machine Shed restaurant are not in Des Moines proper but rather in Urbandale (northwest suburb of Des Moines metro).

Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flobow View Post
I might add that a couple blocks from John Wayne's home in Winterset is a little ma and pa café I think is called Rudy's. Excellent food. I stopped there last week.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 AM

179 posts, read 248,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrig View Post
On the contrary, this thread gave me quite a few ideas, so thanks a lot to everyone for chipping in!

A few of my friends made a similar trip a couple of years ago (but eastbound), and told me that there is absolutely nothing to see between the Rocky Mountains and Chicago. I'll try to prove them wrong.
I can understand, if you never get off of I 80, but then youmight as well say the same thing about Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania.....

I think everywhere you go, you can find something of interest, whether it's natural beauty, historic, artistic, a lot depends in what you're looking for and how willing you are to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa