Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:36 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,128,249 times

Advertisements

I've lived here for 28 years and warm winters like we've had the past few years are not the norm. I believe those were El Nino years so things were way out of wack. This winter is pretty close to normal so far. Winter (below freezing and snow) generally goes from Thanksgiving until April.

If you've only been here two years dont count on warm winters every year. Count on 20 degree highs and 0 degrees or colder for a low every night. And that's not counting the wind

I like the cold though. I would hate to live in a place that is continually freezing and thawing each day and night. It's nice not to have to tromp through slop on the way to your car every day!

I think you can get used to everything though. Heck once it gets below 10 degrees 0 feels about as warm as -20 to me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:43 AM

296 posts, read 1,284,915 times
zz4guy, don't you think this is more ice than we usually have, though? Maybe because it's a transition year between the warm and the usual... Scenes like I saw yesterday, a guy who threw down the shovel to pick up a huge slab of ice and heave it off to the side, aren't the norm. We're looking forward to this afternoon's snow, for sure. Dh was just out with the skidloader, trying to get some ice off the long, sloped gravel lane and lost traction, sliding about 50 feet and heading straight toward the pond. The piled snow at the side of the drive stopped him. Whew! The rain/fog on top of the ice is not good. That stuff needs to stay down south where it does thaw enough to get it cleared between storms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa