Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 6,491 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Missouri. I was driving to Minneapolis last week. It was a 7 hour drive.
I was maintaining a speed limit from 70 to 75. I had curse on the car. and I was close to 140 miles to reach my destination.

To be on safe side i turned off the cruse and in the next 10 minutes or so I got pulled over by a cop.

The cop told me that i was speeding at 85 in a 70 zone. After i got the cruse off i might be have escalated accidentally.

I already drove 280 miles from Missouri to IOWA mason City and was not stopped. I tried to explain the officer i have a clean record. Its purely my mistake. I will be more careful from now on. the cop didn't listen and just gave me a speeding ticket for 85 mph in
Cerro Gordo County .

The cop showed me the radar gun in his car 85 mph. It was purely mistake on my driving. I been driving for past 5 years, in many states and never did speeding . This is purely my mistake . i was not paying attention.

I really need help to get this ticket off my record. I don't want hike in my insurance. I am ready to pay double fine.

I heard that realistically not possible to get the ticket dismissed in this court Cerro Gordo County Court.

Any inputs are highly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
How could it be "purely a mistake" as you keep saying? You were purposely speeding, you got caught. Pay up and be done with it; or fight it if you like, but repeating the it was a mistake will get you nowhere.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:31 PM

173 posts, read 345,579 times
Mistake or not, you were still speeding. Use this as a learning experience. Pay attention to you speed! There's nothing else you can do except suck up, and pay for your mistake.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:13 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I certainly believe you when you say it was a mistake, but that doesn't make it right. Run a stop sign or red light that you don't see? Plan on paying a ticket. Let you foot get a little heavy? Plan on a ticket.

Be very careful for the next few years. One speeding ticket doesn't usually affect your insurance too much. Get two or three of them and you can count on higher insurance premiums.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:18 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
OP, I would enroll in an accredited state defensive driving program at least you would have something positive to say to the judge and he may be more lenient on you should you choose to appear. Even if you just pay the fine, the course may still help some reference a possible insurance hike.

Troopers are ticket writing machines, it's better to just be polite and say nothing. The only ones they will give a break to is another LEO. With gas as expensive as it is, try and keep your foot off the gas, think about how much extra fuel you are using and how much time it's really saving you. Apparently you had your seat belt on, they love that one.

I wonder how much extra fuel the cop wasted trying to catch up to you. Also there is a danger to other motorists as he zipped by others trying to catch up to you without emergency equipment on. If it's really about safety and not about revenue, they could position cardboard cops around in cars to slow traffic down. But we all know it's about generating revenue first and foremost.

Good luck with the ticket.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
If you have the time and $, appear in court and ask the judge for supervision/suspended sentence. It may involve traffic school- hopefully you can do it online. The $ spent to do this may not be worth it. I still don't understand why you disengaged the cruise control. 15 over is pretty tough to talk your way out of.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
There's simply no excuse to not pay attention to what you're doing behind the wheel. Driving is one of those things where you just have to pay attention to detail, no matter how small. Decisions have to be made in less than a second at times, so the margin for error is slim. For instance, those who have a hard time seeing minute details will probably be terminated before too long if they aspire to be a professional driver.

Honestly, it's not worth appealing. Just take your lumps, and move on. However, a small bit of advice - most patrolmen do value respect and personal accountability, so while he or she may not necessarily let you off with a warning, a sincere apology and if applicable, asking what to do to remedy the situation may mean a small reduction of the offense (so they might cite you for going 7 or 8 over instead of 15).

Old 02-24-2014, 11:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
I don't understand what you mean by indicating you turned off the cruise control "just to be on the safe side".

Safe from what? Where the roads getting slippery?

Heck....I'll put my cruise control on "to be on the safe side" to be sure I dont' get a lead foot and speed.

Sorry for your ticket, but I don't think there is much you can do.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse456456 View Post
I had curse on the car.
So did the kid in Christine. I'd say you were lucky to just get a ticket.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I don't get how it was a mistake? You were going 85mph in a 70mph zone. You were going 15mph over and got a ticket.

This seems very self explanatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa