Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times

Advertisements

Here is a unbelievable story of true grit about a man walking 35 miles to a job as a janitor to earn a living for his family,

Iowa man often walks 35 miles to work, supports ailing wife | www.fox23.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:49 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,252,776 times
All that for just a hair over 9 clams an hour? Yikes. At some point it's gotta be detrimental to his health, both physically and mentally.

I admire the guy's discipline to go through that every day, but as crappy as the job market is in southern Iowa, there's got to be a far better alternative.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
While I doubt that Decatur County is exactly a hotbed of employment opportunity, I have a hard time believing that there isn't a $9 an hour job to be had in Leon or Lamoni.

The original Register story indicates that he doesn't hoof the entire two-way commute as often as the headline leads the reader to believe. He's got several "regulars" who pick him up along the way, and he usually catches a ride after work as far as Leon with a co-worker.

Munson: 35 miles in Steve's shoes

Old 03-08-2015, 03:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
While I doubt that Decatur County is exactly a hotbed of employment opportunity, I have a hard time believing that there isn't a $9 an hour job to be had in Leon or Lamoni.

The original Register story indicates that he doesn't hoof the entire two-way commute as often as the headline leads the reader to believe. He's got several "regulars" who pick him up along the way, and he usually catches a ride after work as far as Leon with a co-worker.

Yeah there is something wrong with the story. He is clearly hitchhiking. First off leaving at 3:30 would not be enough time to make that walk. He would need to leave around noon to walk the entire distance. There is just not enough hours in the day to do what they are saying he is doing.

Plus when I was younger I did a lot of 15 - 20 mile hikes. After walking that distance, you are not in any condition to work a shift as a janitor. That is going to wear most people out.

Thats said, the guy does have it pretty hard. The seven hours is probably the time he needs for walking and hitchhiking to be sure of being at work on time.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:13 PM

387 posts, read 589,250 times
i walk 80 miles a day to get to a job that pays $8.12 an hour.
who's going to set up a GoFundMe account for me?

Old 03-08-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979
While I doubt that Decatur County is exactly a
hotbed of employment
opportunity, I have a hard time believing that there isn't
a $9 an hour job
to be had in Leon or Lamoni.
The original Register
story indicates
that he doesn't hoof the entire two-way commute as often as the
headline leads the reader to believe. He's got several "regulars" who pick him
up along the way, and he usually catches a ride after work as far as Leon
with a
co-worker.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yeah there is something wrong with the story. He is

clearly hitchhiking. First off leaving at 3:30 would not be enough time to
make
that walk. He would need to leave around noon to walk the entire distance. There
is just not enough hours in the day to do what they are
saying he is doing.

Plus when I was younger I did a lot of 15 - 20 mile hikes. After walking that

distance, you are not in any condition to work a shift as a janitor. That is

going to wear most people out.

Thats said, the guy does have it pretty hard. The seven hours is probably the

time he needs for walking and hitchhiking to be sure of being at work on

time.
I have done 15 20 25 Miles hikes from 20's to 62 years of age " the limit a person is supposed to
hike in a day is " 20 to 26.2 Miles......70 Miles in a Day is Impossible ".....

In the forced march of the Southeastern Indians Tribes " The Trail Of Tears " they pretty much did
that distant a day , marching from the southeast region of the USA to Oklahoma.

Long Military marches are generally within that range also.......

Old 03-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
i walk 80 miles a day to get to a job that pays $8.12 an hour.
who's going to set up a GoFundMe account for me?
Bulls Eye........it happened for a Guy in Detroit that really hiked 21 or 22 Miles round trip 5 days a
week to work. Hundreds of Thousand of dollars poured into a account , and a free brand new car for
that guy however no one is stupid enough to believe that a man can walk 70 Miles in a 24 hour period (day).

And the Detroit guy that walked 22 miles round trip was only getting 2 hours sleep a night , he was
killing himself doing that ( 22 Miles )......Hike To Work.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Bulls Eye........it happened for a Guy in Detroit that really hiked 21 or 22 Miles round trip 5 days a
week to work. Hundreds of Thousand of dollars poured into a account , and a free brand new car for
that guy however no one is stupid enough to believe that a man can walk 70 Miles in a 24 hour period (day).

And the Detroit guy that walked 22 miles round trip was only getting 2 hours sleep a night , he was
killing himself doing that ( 22 Miles )......Hike To Work.

Detroit man whose 21-mile walk to work inspired $350,000 in donations moves to temporary home

Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
The math on this is impossible. Sounds like someone wanting to catch onto the wave that brought so many donations to the guy in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: