Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:11 PM

49 posts, read 181,441 times

Advertisements

i here ya, bro. splrng is coming but too far away. luckily i just got back last week from jamaica MON so it is not so long for me. makesj me want to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 PM

35 posts, read 122,645 times
Default surviving Iowa winter

Well, there is one thing I haven't noticed in regards to surviving the winter for a "southerner". And I wasn't aware of this issue until I found a sweetie in Florida, when I do live in Iowa. A friend of mine has worked in the medical field for 25 plus years. When I spoke to this friend about who was going to move where in regards to my relationship he advised that. Iowans and people experiencing cold weather have a thin layer of "fat" right beneath their skin to help keep you warm. And people that live in southern states that experience long term warm temps have "thin" skin without that layer of fat. I spent the better part of summer of 07 in Florida and I was "dying" from the heat. I couldn't stand it. My sweetie thought I was a complainer, UNTIL...he came to Iowa in November when temps were in the 40's and he was freezing. He couldn't get his body warm.

So I suggest that you dress in many layers in the winter until your body gets acclimated. My sister and mom moved to southern Utah where it is very hot in the summer and I learned it took two summers for them to get comfortable with the high temps.

Don't worry! Iowa has three GREAT seasons to help you forget about the long winters.

ps. don't jam on your brakes in the snow and take your time. You will be fine.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM

49 posts, read 181,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon271 View Post
Iowans and people experiencing cold weather have a thin layer of "fat" right beneath their skin to help keep you warm. And people that live in southern states that experience long term warm temps have "thin" skin without that layer of fat.

Don't worry! Iowa has three GREAT seasons to help you forget about the long winters.
thats my excuse!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:49 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon271 View Post
Iowans and people experiencing cold weather have a thin layer of "fat" right beneath their skin to help keep you warm.
Is it ok that I have several thin layers of fat

Jasper

Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM

4 posts, read 26,512 times
There are some people that still put snow tires on their vehicals durning the winter i myself don't use snow tires. As far as pets go if it's below 0 let them out to go potty and them let them right back in if it is in the 20's on up your fine to let them stay out for a little bit. Winters are really that terrible if people take caution when driving if the weather is really bad out then drive what you feel is a comfortable speed for you or if at all possible stay home if it's that bad, when the roads get really bad out i don't go out i watch KCCI.com this time of you alot to keep track of what the weather is doing so i know if a storm is coming up then i get to the store and get stuff i need like milk,bread and so on. As far as winter clothing goes it sounds like you have it all ready i would also get some boots and maybe some snow pants too oh and a sled or two kids really like to sled I wish you luck in your move you will be fine. take care
Angela

Old 03-01-2008, 06:24 AM

35 posts, read 122,645 times
Default surviving iowa winter/too many fat layers

Iowans................... Next time you are actually around a southerner.......pick up their skin and pick up your skin. It is true! Unfortunately, a lot of us have many layers of fat everywhere else. Myself included. A person once told me when I complained about the cold......"IT's never too cold outside......the fact is YOU are under dressed for the occasion".

Have a great day! I'm heading to the sunshine state in two weeks for a break and hope to recover from this awful winter!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM

13 posts, read 85,704 times
Agreed. If you can get away for a week or so... in the middle of all this - do it! This is the first year I'll be leaving for a week during winter (even though it's in March!) but I will probably want to do it for the rest of my life! I HATE winter...more than any of my friends and family... and I do recommend a winter hobby. I bought a 4 wheeler this year and it was all i could do to get out there everyday to ride! Its a blast.. even when you freeze. Winter driving is definatly overrated. You dont need chains, but you might want to keep them in your trunk, weight, and just in case you do in the ditch. If you start to slide/fishtail, let off your gas and it will correct itself to go straight again! (just learned that this year... "joyriding" on a gravel road) don't slam on your brakes, dont speed and DONT follow slow drivers closely! the ones driving really slow are the ones that hit their brakes all the time! If you do go in, don't try to drive out unless you know what you're doing! Have a cell phone charged at all times and make sure you let someone know you are leaving and what time you should be where... just so they can expect you, just in case soemthing does happen and no one is around to stop and help. Hand warmers, blankets, extra gloves, insulated TALL snow boots... definatly. EVen on my way to work, I would have my boots on til I got inside.! Wearing flats, then parking by a snow drift = not fun.

Hope this helped out!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 85,704 times
OH yeah. and it's definatly ok to have mulitple "thin" layers of fat! I was going to try and lose them for spring break, but I dont wanna! I love em! haha!

Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,417,211 times
I actually don't care if I gain some weight during winter - if I do I'm noticably warmer. Plus comfort food is soo good.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

9 posts, read 26,108 times
Default Fatty fat fat fat....

I have never heard of this business about Southerner vs. Northerner skin fat. I honestly think we are just fatter because we don't get out as often to do any physical activity. I love the winter, but I sure as heck am not going to go out for an invigorating cross country ski as often as I would a jog if I lived in So. California. Plus we don't have to worry about being exposed all the time -- if you're wearing pants 9 months of the year, and there's no need to get in a swimming suit except maybe 10x per year, it's just more gratifying to indulge in a few extra cinnamon rolls/peanut M&M's/etc. every week. (mmm, cinnamon rolls.....)

I do love winter activities -- sleds for kids are well worth the $5-10 bucks you might pay for them, and we have a great snow cave in our yard -- just being realistic here about who is to blame for my "thin layer" -- definitely more me than the weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa