Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2006, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,083 times

Advertisements

We (Mom, Dad, Craig, Rick, and Nikki) lived in Decorah in the late 40s and early 50s. Mom worked for the Decorah newspapers and Dad was a sign painter. His territory was all over, but centered on Decorah. At one time he had his own sign shop on the second floor above a automobile station. We also lived in the back part of the shop.

My fondest memories of Decorah were the time we lived in a small white house on the Hjeller property. Walter taught us three boys a lot about farming and cattle. The Hjelle property was, and still is, located next to Siewers Springs south of Decorah. Walter lived in the kitchen of the Civil War-era mansion.

When we lived in town I delivered the Decorah newspapers (twice a week).

I also belonged to the Decorah Kilties.

Craig, Rick and I visited in June of 2005. More on that in the future.

Decorah -- What a beautiful town and location.

Al (Junior)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 11:09 PM

114 posts, read 398,017 times
Default Decorah is my mother's home town....

Does anyone remember my mother's family in Decorah? The family's name was Sanderson, and there were about eight girls and two boys, I think. I have never been to Decorah and would love to visit someday soon. I hear it's beautiful, with hills and trees, maybe a river nearby. Mom really loved it there.
If there is a real estate office in the area, would someone please let me know the name, perhaps some contact information. I am also interested in the Rolfe area. Hope someone reads this and will help me. They are such small towns, there probably is no big offices. I was born in Ft. Dodge and know Cedar Rapids, which may be bigger towns.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 PM

I meant 'are no big offices'.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:13 PM

I was born in 1945, so mom's family life there was between the Depression and the mid-1940's. Thank you.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I just found a real estate office on this page! Anyway, if anyone who lives in the above mentioned areas, I would love to find out more about these towns, especially Rolfe, Plover, and Decorah.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:22 PM

Still could use the name of any hometown offices. thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:06 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,488 times
If anyone could please help her, you can pm her the information, you just can't post it on this site. Thanks!!!!!!! Yorkie

Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 PM

195 posts, read 1,078,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishinca View Post
Does anyone remember my mother's family in Decorah? The family's name was Sanderson, and there were about eight girls and two boys, I think. I have never been to Decorah and would love to visit someday soon. I hear it's beautiful, with hills and trees, maybe a river nearby. Mom really loved it there.
If there is a real estate office in the area, would someone please let me know the name, perhaps some contact information. I am also interested in the Rolfe area. Hope someone reads this and will help me. They are such small towns, there probably is no big offices. I was born in Ft. Dodge and know Cedar Rapids, which may be bigger towns.
Decorah is lovely, the river is the Upper Iowa and it runs right through Decorah- the part just before Luther College and where you get on the Locust Road. There are bluffs as they are called, and plenty of trees on them. You would really love how pretty the place is. I live close to there, but I'm not from around there far back so I don't know anything about your mother's family. But people tend to have long memories in small towns, so I'm sure someone remembers. I love it in Decorah too.

I think Decorah the loveliest place in IA, and one of the only places I actually like in the entire state. I've never heard of the other towns. There are real estate offices in Decorah, I don't them off the top of my head. I think there are a few in the town/ and area- NE Iowa.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:41 PM

160 posts, read 317,830 times
Merry Christmas!
researching various communities I noticed that Decorah cost-of-living is higher than other communities of its size, especially housing which is much higher avg: ~$138,000. Why is this? I'm thinking of moving there from an equal size town in the tundra (MN). What major business and where does the income come from?
THANKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: