Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times

Advertisements

Is it a nice city to raise a family? Is Spanish required to find employment? How is the gang and drug problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM

82 posts, read 355,011 times
I think it is a good place to raise kids. You probably don't have to know Spanish either.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Is it a nice city to raise a family? Is Spanish required to find employment? How is the gang and drug problem?
In my opinion, Sioux City is nothing to be excited about. You can raise a family there with no problems. Spanish is not required for employment. Gangs are mainly "wanna-be's"... Drugs seem to be more of a problem in Sioux City than where I live in Sioux Falls, SD (about 80 miles away).

Sioux City is very much a manufacturing-driven city.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 PM

5 posts, read 9,996 times
Feb. 28 -- Hector Cabrera, 17, used a folding knife to slash rival gang member Jeremy Saul, 22, in the face and stab him in the back during a gang fight at Southern Hills Mall. Last month Cabrera pleaded guilty to a felony charge of going armed with intent and was sentenced to up to five years in prison.

April 1 -- A 14-year-old Sioux City boy was beaten in front of his home in the 400 block of Cook Street. Police say the gang fight, which sent the boy to the hospital, was payback for the stabbing at Southern Hills Mall. Arrested and charged with first-degree burglary, willful injury, and criminal gang participation in connection with the incident

April 18 -- A 14-year-old boy was stabbed outside Long Lines Family Rec Center while attending a Quinceanera. He suffered nonlife-threatening stab wounds to the upper body and lower back. Luis Giron, 15, was arrested in connection with the incident and charged with willful injury, assault while participating in a felony and criminal gang participation.

May 30 -- A 17-year-old boy was stabbed in the stomach, and a 29-year-old man suffered a cut to the face. Police said that incident at an apartment complex at 2800 W. 4th St. was also gang-related. No arrests have been made in the case

Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 9,996 times
All Happened in Sioux City i dont live in iowa no more i live in ST. Pual minnasota but Sioux City go way worse in Gangs, Murders, Drugs, ect.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
hi operaphantom2003, do some research, check out past threads on the city by using the search function on city data. while there has been a great surge of spanish speaking pple to the midwest in recent years, its certainly not mexico, and spanish isnt necessary to find a job there. it wouldnt be my choice to live and raise a family, but i can think of worse places to live. there are bad areas in most communities, thats where the gang crime tends to happen.

i would advise you to do alot of research into the town before you make a decision, visit the place, facts and figures are great but meeting pple and checking out the area in person is most useful in determining if its a good fit for you. good luck.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWAMAN View Post
All Happened in Sioux City i dont live in iowa no more i live in ST. Pual minnasota but Sioux City go way worse in Gangs, Murders, Drugs, ect.

The crime rate in St. Paul is higher than Sioux City in both violent and property crimes. St. Paul also has real gangs, not Sioux City wannabees. Try hanging out on University Ave, anywhere in Frogtown or if you are daring head to N. Minneapolis for a while. Then you will see if there is crime in the Twin Cities.

I lived in both SC and Twin Cities for more than a decade each, still have relatives in both places and visit often. I much prefer the Twin Cities to SC but there is no point in misstating the facts.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,985 times
Most gang members arent from sioux city nor are they "wana-bs" trust me. but sioux city is very boring & a great place to raise a family, if ur worried about gangs & drugs live in morningside. . .nada happens over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: