Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,643 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I may be moving to Audubon, Iowa or the county of Audubon and we wanted to know if they get any or many tornados. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,526 times
Is that west of Des Moines. If so, I looked up the statistics for "tornado risk" in this book that has very reputable sources ,and though it doesn't mention Audubon (because it is not a major city, I presume), it does give a high number for Des Moines. The U.S. average tornado risk score is a 19- DesMoines got a 36. By this books standards that is not a very low number. Please let me add, I do not live in the area and these are stats. It looks like they use the NCDC and the NOAA to gather their info. Hope that helps.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 11,304 times
Thumbs up Tornadoes

I lived in North Liberty Iowa for 16 years of my life, and we didn't have a basement so I used to be scared to death of tornadoes.. but for no reason. There were occasional severe storms, but never once did a tornado come within 5 miles of us. There are only a few rare occasions where going to a basement was necessary, and just as a precaution. The small town atmosphere and pleasentness of Iowa is worth the occasional weather.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 PM

37 posts, read 274,744 times
I've lived here for 11 years and never seen a tornado. There've been a few nasty thunderstorms, and a couple of times when the sky turned black and looked like it was boiling, but tornadoes? Not yet.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 23,756 times
No need to worry. When the weather looks bad, get to a radio or TV and see what is going on. About ever country has a storm spotter class every spring. (usually March) Go to one and they will besides how to look for them, have to avoid them.

Old 08-05-2006, 11:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
http://www.tornadochaser.net/images/frequency.jpg

Old 12-11-2006, 03:51 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,245 times
There will be some. If you dont like it than Iowa (along with a huge assortment of other states) is(are) not for you.

Dont like tornadoes; Dont like: Illlinois,Iowa,Wisconsin, Minnesota, N.Dakota, S.Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, KANSAS, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, or West Pennsylvania.

Tornados HAPPEN. That is what makes the midwest, the midwest. But, hey, a majority of states are still left. 26.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Default General Tornado Information

http://www.tornadochaser.net/tornalley.html

Click on the three maps to the right. Bottom one gives good info.

BTW Missouri is NOT a dangerous place for tornadoes! There's a big hole that encompasses the majority of the state where there is small risk.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
There will be some. If you dont like it than Iowa (along with a huge assortment of other states) is(are) not for you.

Dont like tornadoes; Dont like: Illlinois,Iowa,Wisconsin, Minnesota, N.Dakota, S.Dakota, Nebraska, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, KANSAS, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Ohio, or West Pennsylvania.

Tornados HAPPEN. That is what makes the midwest, the midwest. But, hey, a majority of states are still left. 26.

I lived in the Des Moines area for 3 yrs, then in Montana for 3, and now in Florida (hopefully moving back to the DSM area). One thing to point out is that with doppler radar, it is so easy to see the rotation that a tornado warning is thrown to be on the safe side, even if there is a funnel cloud visable or not. Best to be safe than sorry.

Also, Montana may get 1 or 2 a yr. We had a F-0 one day - didn't even know it til I saw it on the storm report.

As for Florida, we get ALOT of them during tropical season, but they are usually with tropical systems and are weak and short-lived.

Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 PM

5 posts, read 81,845 times
Smile Tornadoes Happen - Iowa City

Tornadoes are so random. Iowa City got clobbered last spring. Check out the local paper's web site - I think it is presscitizen.com or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa