Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 PM

117 posts, read 344,898 times

Advertisements

I'm contemplating a move to Iowa this fall. Just where is the question.

About the job, I am in the low paying, high turnover social service field. I wouldn't mind getting out of the field but don't have much experience with anything else outside of hospitality. I would be willing to take an "entry-level" position if needed but realize that would result in, once again low pay. The point is, I should be able to find a job relatively quickly but it would probably be low pay which I would be ok with as long as the Cost of Living is low.

What else

I'm a single guy in my early 40's. I'm a bit of a "loner" and don't need to have a lot of people around. With that being said I would still like to be in a place where I can meet a few people to do things with.

I'm an atheist which is only being brought up because meeting these people I'm talking about wouldn't be through church.

I have a bit of a "blue-collar" mentality. I prefer coffee over latte's, beer over "cocktails", shooting pool, bowling, sports etc

I don't like urban sprawl, big box stores etc. I prefer slow but steady growth and would much rather be in a city over a suburb

Suggestions would be great. I could answer any other questions you may have if there is more you need to know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,355,107 times
[SIZE=2]I would suggest looking at neighborhoods in the city around Ingersoll Avenue (borders downtown to the west) or maybe even Sherman Hill. In these areas, you're going to find like-minded people who appreciate city life, over suburbia so this will give you something in common right off the bat. It also puts you close to many employment opportunities downtown ( approx 70,000 people work in downtown Des Moines).
[/SIZE]

Old 05-20-2010, 01:36 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about Des Moines?

Des Moines is a definate possibility, what about other cities or do you think Des Moines would be the best for me?

Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,911,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakyco View Post
I'm contemplating a move to Iowa this fall. Just where is the question.

About the job, I am in the low paying, high turnover social service field. I wouldn't mind getting out of the field but don't have much experience with anything else outside of hospitality. I would be willing to take an "entry-level" position if needed but realize that would result in, once again low pay. The point is, I should be able to find a job relatively quickly but it would probably be low pay which I would be ok with as long as the Cost of Living is low.

What else

I'm a single guy in my early 40's. I'm a bit of a "loner" and don't need to have a lot of people around. With that being said I would still like to be in a place where I can meet a few people to do things with.

I'm an atheist which is only being brought up because meeting these people I'm talking about wouldn't be through church.

I have a bit of a "blue-collar" mentality. I prefer coffee over latte's, beer over "cocktails", shooting pool, bowling, sports etc

I don't like urban sprawl, big box stores etc. I prefer slow but steady growth and would much rather be in a city over a suburb

Suggestions would be great. I could answer any other questions you may have if there is more you need to know.

Thanks
Where are you currently located?

Jasper

Old 05-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Currently I reside in the Seattle area.

No, coming out to visit Iowa first isn't a possibility due to financial issues.

What is a possibility would be to camp out----cheap and easy until I find a job but, I would need to focus on one particular area. (Of course I would want some leads to check out first so I could make initial contacts)

I work with individuals with disabilities. I've worked as a direct care provider in a residential setting. I've worked with adults and adolescents. I've worked with those that have significant disabilites all the way up to those that are "mildly mentally retarded". I have, and currently am supporting this population with employment/vocational services but I also have worked as a parapro in a public high school - thought about going back and getting my special ed teaching endorsement. (Currently I hold a BA degree in sociology)

Maybe this is more information than you need to know but, I am being "forced" to move out of my apartment. It was sudden and I had to find a place before I was really ready. I found a place for 1-3 months but after that...I need to make changes. The biggest issue here is the cost of living is too high and I am in the wrong field to make ends meet. I would really prefer to not have a roommate. I don't like the sprawl that this area has become.

I've been to and through Iowa. Grandmother was from there but of course I was touring, not looking for a place to live so I didn't look at some of the things I need to look at now.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:27 PM

415 posts, read 1,740,595 times
Davenport has a lot of social services, and one of the lower costs of living in the US, but with our state (and nearly every other) in budget trouble there isn't as much money for social services as their used to be. Also, while my top 3 Iowa cities (Davenport, Iowa City, Des Moines) all have some urbanity to them, each of them have their own sprawl issues.

Too much of that sounds negative though. Like I said, the cost of living here is cheap, so even if you just accept an entry level job, you can still afford to live on your own in a non-extravagant way. I think Davenport and Iowa as a whole are great places to live, so it could definitely work out for you.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Davenport has a lot of social services, and one of the lower costs of living in the US, but with our state (and nearly every other) in budget trouble there isn't as much money for social services as their used to be. Also, while my top 3 Iowa cities (Davenport, Iowa City, Des Moines) all have some urbanity to them, each of them have their own sprawl issues.

Too much of that sounds negative though. Like I said, the cost of living here is cheap, so even if you just accept an entry level job, you can still afford to live on your own in a non-extravagant way. I think Davenport and Iowa as a whole are great places to live, so it could definitely work out for you.
Quad cities is not a bad choice and if you commute a bit you can get cheap living in smaller towns.

Are you prepared for Midwest winters?

Jasper

Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 AM

60 posts, read 210,462 times
I know everyone is gonna try to hype up their own town, but I really do think Dubuque is for you. You described yourself like the kind of people that live here.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtapler View Post
I know everyone is gonna try to hype up their own town, but I really do think Dubuque is for you. You described yourself like the kind of people that live here.
I bet cost of living is cheaper in Quad cities. Rent has really gone up in Dubuque.

Jasper

Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Quad cities is not a bad choice and if you commute a bit you can get cheap living in smaller towns.

Are you prepared for Midwest winters?

Jasper
I'm hoping I can adjust.

I lived in Colorado for 8 years and experienced some bad winters so, I think I can.

Just when does it start getting "bad"? As stated, I could camp out for a bit until I find a job/apartment but obviously I'll want to be inside when the worst of the winter hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa