Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 AM

11 posts, read 42,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
Here is the results of a Cedar Crapids realtor.com search when searching homes from 80-100k
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...e-80000-100000
2 whole listings buddy and they are TH/condos
Try iowarealty.com.

Cedar Rapids Iowa Realty - $80-100K

I see 115 today.

;-)

Last edited by ProudOfCR; 06-01-2010 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
Way way overpriced and not enough jobs. Most CR peeps I know work in Dubuque. Get a clue magoo.
A 3 bdr home in CR should not cost more than 100k, not over 200k. The jobs pay crap there.
It has never been my impression that the jobs pay poorly here. My experience has been that they pay adequately compared to the cost of living.

And... for over $200K you get some ridiculously nice housing options. You could definitely drop your standards a touch to find what you are looking for within your budget. This stuff is all so subjective, but here are a couple I quickly found for just over, at, or below $200K. I think that they are much more than anyone actually needs:

Nice 4 Bed/4 Bath Family Home
Family Home in Brand New Subdivision
Something that used to be a firestation - no kidding!
Downtown Loft Condo
Beautiful old English tudor

Last edited by ProudOfCR; 06-01-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtoic View Post
If someone were to move to the great state of Iowa, what city would your recommend hands down: Iowa City, Des Moines or Cedar Rapids? I have been to all and am leaning towards Iowa City. Cedar Rapids I would think would have a better job market. The housing seems much more affordable too. Your thoughts?
I have lived in Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I think they both benefit from the existence of one another. I also assume that since you're leaning towards Iowa City that you are a bit of a fun-loving sort.

A Cedar Rapidian can visit Iowa City for a different kind of fun/nightlife, music, college bar, college students, food co-op type thing. Iowa City is very charming and has more going on in a small area while the students are in town. I must admit that the sole existence of Iowa City makes Cedar Rapids quite a bit nicer place to live. I visit nearly once a week - although generally to see friends.

Don't get me wrong. Cedar Rapids can party its face off as well. It's just more spread out and a bit different. Less college-ey.

It of course depends upon who you are. If you would prefer a bigger city environment that is somehow more laid back and slower than Iowa City, has slightly cheaper real estate, and is supported by a more varied economy (potentially more jobs for you), then you may enjoy Cedar Rapids.

Furthermore, living in one city doesn't necessarily exclude you from working in another. If you don't mind a 30 minute commute, you could have your choice.

A move to IC would be fun and would be a great choice. Either way, Eastern Iowa is a really cool place.

Last edited by ProudOfCR; 06-01-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,397 times
Question Need more infor on the city please

My sister in law lives in Cedar Rapids NE with her husband and son. Can you tell me more info on the weather and the nursing jobs there. I am getting my BSN/RN license and have eight years of medical experience already. Is it a smart move for me and my wife to move there. I am from Tennessee so I can handle floods, t'storms, and tornadoes; I would just like someone not related to me to give me thier honest opinion on what the weather is really like and what the job market looks to do in the future. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-02-2010, 12:28 PM

53 posts, read 201,328 times
Smile Same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrustycars View Post
I just took a job in Cedar Rapids. Don't know a soul there. But it sounds like I made the right choice? I did notice when I went for a pre-employment drug test, everyone at the clinic spoke English. Thats a good sign.
I've been thinking about relocating to CR for a couple years now. It is THE right time to get out of AZ. We are already a 3rd world country. As the title implys I'd be moving solo too! Will be there in Sept to check the city and housing out. I'd love a few tips on how best to become part of the community. No kids or church affiliations which seem the normal foot in the door way to get established, so any suggestions from ANY new folks to CR would be appreciated! Thank You

Old 08-02-2010, 01:05 PM

53 posts, read 201,328 times
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudOfCR View Post
Ok... so Cedar Rapids is in the midwest. Furthermore, it's in Iowa. It's already in the running for best place on earth ;-). I guess, given the claim that Cedar Rapids is the best city on earth, I shouldn't be posting this in the Iowa Forum... more like "the whole galaxy" forum, but I digress...

Otherwise... I love Cedar Rapids!

Cedar Rapids is arguably a city yet retains a very laid back vibe compared to cities of its size. You get city benefits but things move slowly. Motorists rarely use their horns and the police don't hassle you unless you draw attention. A four way stop can find itself at a standstill because everyone is letting everyone else go first. Clerks and patrons chat.

Cedar Rapids is ridiculously safe compared to cities of its size. Small cities across the nation struggle with crime. Cedar Rapids sort of struggles with crime, although arguably less than many cities half its size.

Cedar Rapids is fiscally reasonable. It doesn't boom or bust. It just grows. It slowly churns out more and more jobs.

Cedar Rapids doesn't care to tell you that what you do is wrong. Even though it is quite fiscally conservative, it does not maintain social stigmas related to today's definition of the word conservative. In a way, Cedar Rapids can be more socially open than Iowa City to the south. In Iowa City it seems to be a bit of a "hip" thing be open minded... not as real as CR.

Cedar Rapids is gorgeous! The roads sway through forests, up and down hills, and through some of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Iowa. You would be hard pressed to find too many more interesting, gorgeous, old (even lavish) houses than you can find in the southeast quadrant of CR. A motorcycle ride through Cedar Rapids is a wonderful experience. Veins of long winding avenues without stop signs or lights curve through the city. This same characteristic makes it a pleasure to take the "long way" to work instead of driving the sterile highway.

Cedar Rapids is not impressed by trends or fads. *I tip my hat to you, CR* We can monitor and even indulge in the trends 30 miles to the south... if we are curious or whatnot...

I hear little praise of Cedar Rapids on this site (Cedar Rapids doesn't necessarily need or want it), but I want to let her know how much she is appreciated.
Your description of CR was absolutly soul soothing to someone who has just spent the past 6 weeks in 115 degree heat. Can't wait to get up there in Sept and ACTUALLY experience the fall season! Thx a million for the descriptions!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,326,056 times
ProudofCR,

What is it with Cedar Rapids? It must be a pretty nice place because the population has grown and not shrunk like many midwest cities. I lived in Des Moines when I was a little kid.

I went to Cedar Rapids several years ago for a job interview. I didn't get the job but I thought it was a pretty town. And the folks were friendly too!

What is the deal with liquor stores though? Is the county that CR's in a dry one?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
All I have to say is "HAHAHAHAHA"!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:33 AM

28 posts, read 121,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziasforever View Post
ProudofCR,

What is it with Cedar Rapids? It must be a pretty nice place because the population has grown and not shrunk like many midwest cities. I lived in Des Moines when I was a little kid.

I went to Cedar Rapids several years ago for a job interview. I didn't get the job but I thought it was a pretty town. And the folks were friendly too!

What is the deal with liquor stores though? Is the county that CR's in a dry one?
I know that Linn County (home to CR) is definitely NOT a dry county. I don't think there are any dry counties in Iowa unless they are in the northwest part of the state.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:22 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Does it still smell like rotten eggs or oatmeal there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa