Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:09 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,839,033 times

Advertisements

Sunnah? And there is still the third book. For the Muslims isn't it like every prophesy is sung; and then it is made to suffer submission to the Other for the world we never commit to faith in the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM

124 posts, read 173,793 times
Sufis have music in their "services" with instruments too. Otherwise what would we dance to?

Old 04-05-2014, 05:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Worship in ISLAM doesn't need / require music. On our Friday Jumuah congregational prayer equivalent to Xtian's Sunday service or roman Catholicism's mass, Muslims go to the Masjid or Mosque before and while entering the mosque we utter a Dua / prayer. Before we sit in the floor along with our fellow brother Muslims, It is necessary for Us to do Salah prayer afterwards we sit on the floor. We never wear our shoes inside the Masjid or Mosque. We are only allowed to be barefoot or wear socks. We listen, pay attention and meditate and apply the Qutbah Jumuah by our Ustadh or Imam equivalent to the sermon or misallette by Xtians. Afterwards, The joint congregational salah that signals the last part of Jumuah.

No music, no sexy clothes, no chitchat, none of those.

I am a former band captain musician in a United Methodist Church in our town. I play hyms and praise and worship songs using Piano(Baldwin and Yamaha Piano), I also play the nylon flamenco guitar for hyms and congregational singing at church. I also used to be a praise and worship leader and I was into don moen, ron kenoly, paul Wilbur and integrity music and vineyard music songs. I as well was a preschool and kindergarten sunday school teacher and an outreach bible study teacher for children in the remote places in our country. I always go with the pastor in visiting church member's houses to do Bible study and praying for them.

That was my life 3 years ago. However I was still not firm with my faith. My pastor and lay leaders are unable to answer my questions about my faith and about GOD and how Christian life is and should be.

I found the truth in ISLAM. When I embraced ISLAM it felt like I am free. I realized that there is only One God and His name is ALLAH the Most Gracious The Most Merciful. And I have come to witness that Muhammad is the Last Messenger of ALLAH May Peace and Blessings be upon Him. I witness as well that Jesus the son of Mary a slave and prophet of ALLAH along with Abraham, Moses and the Other Biblical Prophets that are mentioned in The Holy Quran.

Now, I didn't expect myself to read Arabic and speak in Arabic even though its not my native tongue but praise be to ALLAH He willed that I have learned it and it took more than a year before I was able to read in Arabic to enable myself to read The Holy Quran and reading the English translation of the ayats and verses. Glory be to ALLAH and all praises is due to ALLAH. ALLAH is Great, ALLAH is Great.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,730 times
Default Its not poetry..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
we have poetry, i dont know what you mean by chanting but theres some pretty beautiful recitations of the quran, not really any "music" with instruments or anything though. theres reasons for that in islam though

Quran is not poetry, nor is it songs...its something special...has musical nature.. beyond compare ^_^

Old 04-25-2014, 06:14 PM

678 posts, read 846,704 times
There are different rulings in Islam about music. Some don't care, others are adamant about its prohibition. I believe the former. In all honesty, there is no clear cut answer as some will claim because one scholar will say it's okay, another will say it's not. So, who's really right? Your call. It's a personal thing.

To answer your question, can you have a musical session praising God after Friday prayers? Yes, yes you can. Does it happen? Probably not, lol! This is because in several cultures that are dominated by Muslims, we do not play music right after prayers. Generally, most meet their friends and families as the Friday prayer serves as a second purpose of gathering with the local community. In America, most people who come to Friday prayers have to return to work or even school.

Can music be used during the actual sermon? Ummm, honestly, I don't know. BUT, I do know that the format recommended for kutbah has only talking and small prayers before the actual Friday Congressional prayer. Kkind of like how in a Catholic Mass, the priest will talk and you'll stand up and sing a song and towards the end, you carry out the sacrament.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,482 times
Since Judiasm and Christianity are big on music, I wonder why Mohammed didn't implement music to worship God. I'm Christian and the Bible says we are to make a joyful sound unto the Lord. When I worship, the music is very anointed of God's Spirit and touches ones heart greatly. It ushers us into the presence of God. It honors Him and worships Him. It would seem that muslims are missing so much by not connecting to God through Godly music. I was looking online to listen to some muslim worship music and am disappointed to hear that there is no music in the mosques.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,482 times
If you were a Christian and converted to Islam, what did you do with salvation offered through Jesus? Just because your Pastor or lay people weren't able to answer your questions about Christianity, is that a reason to convert to another faith? When we don't have answers, we are to pray and seek God for ourselves. The Bible says that there is no pathway to God but through Jesus. Do you not believe the Bible any longer? I Timothy 2:5, "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus..."

Old 05-05-2014, 07:33 PM

67 posts, read 84,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlenaJoy View Post
the Bible says we are to make a joyful sound unto the Lord. When I worship, the music is very anointed of God's Spirit and touches ones heart greatly. It ushers us into the presence of God. It honors Him and worships Him. It would seem that muslims are missing so much by not connecting to God through Godly music.
We get the same feelings of tranquility, relaxation, and emotion from recitations of the Qur'an, words that can be recited in thousands of styles and still make one's heart tremble, whereas music is sung only a specific way. So I don't think its fair to say that without musical instruments, that one would be missing out on any religious feeling; that's ethnocentrism.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:02 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,069,432 times
While there is no place for, of need or music during our Prayers that does not mean our words are not a "Joyful Noise" unto the Lord(swt).

We do not go into the Mosque to entertain our selves or put on a musical review for Allaah(swt).

Worship does not have to look like a "Night Club Performance"

Do we ever sing to Allaah(swt)? Most certainly we do, just not with instrument Music or as a distraction to our prayers.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
That's very hypnotic, almost enchanting. Pretty cool, thanks. Would it be allowable for all in a Mosque to sing this together before or after prayers, like a Christian church service? if they did this it would really add to the environment.
You are getting mixed responses here because of the different sects and perceptions of Islam internally. My heritage is from Pakistan where Sufism is very popular and respected. In fact, sufism is fused with society in Pakistan and is part of the culture. Most of the music in the country is inspired by sufi poetry and music and at the shrines of these great sufis music and dancing occurs. While this is frowned upon by most Muslims I have to say that these shrines are place of great peace for those looking for it. The atmosphere is tolerant and the message of sufism through Islam is excellent.

They are some sects that really dislike sufism like the wahabis who are nothing but an imported sect in the country thanks to the Saudis exporting it throughout the Muslim world. And the deobandi a religious group represented pretty much entirely by a political party called the JI. Interesting to note is that the deobandis rejected the creation of Pakistan. Anyways, I digress!

Here is some music from Pakistan! I personally don't see these songs the same as Christian rock just because the messages in some of these songs is just for humanity not just Muslims. If you hit the CC button you can read translations...

Kangna HD, Fareed Ayaz & Abu Muhammad, Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 4 - YouTube

Jogi - Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 6 - YouTube

Toumba, Saieen Zahoor, Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 2 - YouTube

Jana Jogi Dey Naal, Rizwan & Muazzam, Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 3 - YouTube

This although not religious music is a great song lyrically talking about the problems of modern day. Amazing message at the end!

Mori Araj Suno, Tina Sani, Coke Studio Pakistan, Season 3 - YouTube

Currently, thanks to the war in Afghanistan the whole region is struggling with extremism. The moderates will win in Pakistan. This I guarantee you, it will just take some time and the silent majority will have to wake up. I personally hate these extremists and conservatives in the country who are just downright morons. I support violently dislodging these animals from the country since they are not interested in living under the law and are trying to change Pakistan's way of life. This is a Frankenstein that BOTH the US and Pakistan created in the 80's to fight the Soviets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam