Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 11:43 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but that's not really true. At most the ETA appear to be responsible for about a 1000 deaths in a 40 year period. "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" itself is linked to more than that in the last 10 years.

I believe that ever since the destruction of the "Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam" aka "The Tamil Tigers" the most violent terrorist groups have been Islamic, but there are a few Marxist or Maoist groups that might be close. This isn't to tar all Islam, as these groups represent a small minority of Muslims, but there are a somewhat unusual set of situations in a few Islamic nations that aren't precisely duplicated elsewhere. (I thought of explaining that, but it would likely take too long)
I stand corrected, my statement of ETA being far more deadly is wrong.

What I meant to say was that the was majority of terrorist attacks carried out are carried out by others than militant Muslims, which, for instance account for less than 4% of the terrorist attacks in Europe over the last 4 years.

What I'm trying to shed a light on by pointing that out is that Islam as a religion, and Islamist fundamentalists as a group have gotten an disproportionately bad reputation due to one or two successful strikes and the subsequent witch hunt by opportunists and the media.

This in turn creates an unsubstantiated fear of Muslim fundamentalism, that unsubstantiated fear bleeds over to also meaning fear or alienation of Muslims in general. Couple that with misinformation and propaganda (ie: Islam is a violent religion and so forth) and you create a situation where a large number of people are made suspicious and alienated, increasing tension and ultimately "feeding" the terrorists.

I think it's important to point out that Muslim fundamentalism is a far smaller problem than many will have you believe, which is what I was trying to do.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Thank You Viking.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:20 PM

147 posts, read 153,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In an attempt to return this back to the topic of "What is Islam?"

I would like to clarify what is meant by prayer in Islam. Salat is often the word translated to English as prayer. We are obligated to do Salat 5 times daily. some people misunderstand this and think we are only allowed to pray 5 times a day and then only in congregation.

Fajr is our shortest Salat of the Day. It is our early morning prayer said shortly before sunrise. Salat is always led by An Imam (Who can be simply the oldest male present) It is preffered for us to say our Salat in a Mosque with others. But if that is not feasible it can be said alone.

Fajr for the Curious

What we call Dua corresponds more with what Christians call prayer. We can say those at anytime we desire either in our own words or any of the commonly used ones. They can be said in any language.

Two common duas:

We have no hymns or any form of Music in the Mosque. But we do have what is similar called nasheeds. Many of us listen to these often. A true Nasheed has no instrument Accompaniment.

My favorite Nasheed is in Arabic and is the al-Asma ul Husna (99 names of Allaah(swt))

Another of my favorites, this one is in English

and how i listen to this amazing azan 5 times in the day i swear my brother i forget my Tired --- I heard that the churches Attract people TO worship by music but our azan attract the muslim people and non muslim there are non muslim convert to islam by azan

YouTube - ‪The Most Sweetest Azan by Al Mishary Al Afasy‬‏ thank to ALLAH For the blessing of Islam

Last edited by ashkarloveALLAH; 05-28-2011 at 01:31 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 01:50 PM

591 posts, read 641,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I stand corrected, my statement of ETA being far more deadly is wrong.

What I meant to say was that the was majority of terrorist attacks carried out are carried out by others than militant Muslims, which, for instance account for less than 4% of the terrorist attacks in Europe over the last 4 years.

What I'm trying to shed a light on by pointing that out is that Islam as a religion, and Islamist fundamentalists as a group have gotten an disproportionately bad reputation due to one or two successful strikes and the subsequent witch hunt by opportunists and the media.

This in turn creates an unsubstantiated fear of Muslim fundamentalism, that unsubstantiated fear bleeds over to also meaning fear or alienation of Muslims in general. Couple that with misinformation and propaganda (ie: Islam is a violent religion and so forth) and you create a situation where a large number of people are made suspicious and alienated, increasing tension and ultimately "feeding" the terrorists.

I think it's important to point out that Muslim fundamentalism is a far smaller problem than many will have you believe, which is what I was trying to do.

The media doesn't tell you the truth, that the biggest influence of Islammic terrorism is Muhammad. The media hasn't been telling the truth about how it is the Koran that causes all the problems. THe media hasn't done enough as far as pointing out who is responsible for all the violence, and actually covers up for Islam and Muhammad . The media isn't allowed to show an image of him anywhere. He is not allowed to be portrayed as the mass murdering antisemite, antichrist, antireligious that he is. Islam is always portrayed as a "peaceful" religion, when it is very much NOT.

Last edited by Ball Pean; 05-28-2011 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 02:14 PM

You got Al-quida killing Christian Iraqis'
You got Hezbulla, and Hamas killing Jews
You got Muhammad as their hero and guide
Who is much more violent and evil than Bin Laden.
And then You got the "moderates" saying "peace apon him"
And they got the ignorant media agreeing.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkarloveALLAH View Post
and how i listen to this amazing azan 5 times in the day i swear my brother i forget my Tired --- I heard that the churches Attract people TO worship by music but our azan attract the muslim people and non muslim there are non muslim convert to islam by azan

YouTube - ‪The Most Sweetest Azan by Al Mishary Al Afasy‬‏ thank to ALLAH For the blessing of Islam
How true Akhi.

We can not bring people to Islam, nor can we convince even one person we are a religion of Peace. People have to search and find the way themselves. All we can do is tell what we love about Islam. the choice is to each person alone.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
How true Akhi.

We can not bring people to Islam, nor can we convince even one person we are a religion of Peace. People have to search and find the way themselves. All we can do is tell what we love about Islam. the choice is to each person alone. ]

I imagine it is a LOT easier to consider Islam "peaceful" comming from a fellow Muhammad-lover. Meanwhile anyone of any legitimate religion, ESPECIALLY anyone anti-Islam gets slaughtered, pillaged, and raped because of your false prophet monster. All of Islam will be held accountable for Muhammad's evil deeds.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Really? The religion of peace...Making a difference, one body at a time.

Islam: Making a True Difference in the World - One Body at a Time

Actually more of us prefer, it to be one prayer at a time.

Quote:
In the Name of Allah, the beneficent, the merciful: Praise be to the Lord of the Universe who has created us and made us into tribes and nations that we may know each other, not that we may despise each other. If the enemy incline towards peace, do thou also incline towards peace, and trust in God, for the Lord is one that hears and knows all things. And the servants of God Most Gracious are those who walk on the Earth in humility, and when we address them, we say, "Peace."

Old 05-28-2011, 03:40 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
The media doesn't tell you the truth, that the biggest influence of Islammic terrorism is Muhammad. The media hasn't been telling the truth about how it is the Koran that causes all the problems. THe media hasn't done enough as far as pointing out who is responsible for all the violence, and actually covers up for Islam and Muhammad . The media isn't allowed to show an image of him anywhere. He is not allowed to be portrayed as the mass murdering antisemite, antichrist, antireligious that he is. Islam is always portrayed as a "peaceful" religion, when it is very much NOT.
I suspect answering you will yield very little, but I don't have anything better to do at the moment...

Care to elaborate on your first statement, that Muhammad is the biggest influence of terror, and why exactly that is?

Have you actually read the Koran?

The media can show as many images of Muhammad as they wish, however, they generally choose to be sensitive to Muslims feelings on the matter or, to an extent, choose not to publish images of the prophet because they know it can spur volatile situations in unstable regions or amongst extremists.

Freedom of speech does not equal always exercising that right. Though one has a right to speak freely, using sound judgment is a virtue. The fact that some media outlets refrain from the use of imagery that can be perceived as offensive and/or ignite a volatile situation, even when the uproar is absolutely indefensible, is using that sound judgment, and the right thing to do.

Islam is not any more violent than Christianity, not today nor historically. (Don't forget about the crusades or the violations done by various churches in the past and present) Both religions have had violence and crimes perpetrated in it's name, that does not mean the religion itself is the problem.

Fundamentalist Islam and Islam extremism is a predominantly political and cultural issue, and violence perpetrated in it's name is rarely if ever condoned by Muslims as a whole.

The uproar one can experience when perceived attacks on Islam occur is not predominantly related to religion (which is evident by the fact that the majority of Muslims manage to handle it in a civil manner) but to cultural, societal and political reasons, and though it's never justifiable to take live or cause disrupt because someone burns a book or draws a picture of Muhammad, the reaction can be explained and to an extent, expected, so one should only do so when the situation calls for it.

In short, Islam should not bear the weight of actions wrongfully committed in it's name, nor should it be the held accountable for actions spurred on because of political and societal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Pean View Post
You got Al-quida killing Christian Iraqis'
You got Hezbulla, and Hamas killing Jews
You got Muhammad as their hero and guide
Who is much more violent and evil than Bin Laden.
And then You got the "moderates" saying "peace apon him"
And they got the ignorant media agreeing.
You also have coalition forces killing Iraqi civilians, both Christian and Muslim, yet there is very little focus on this, particularly in the US media outlets.

The militant branch of Hamas, views itself as the fighting force of an occupied people. Hamas is not unilaterally considered a terrorist organization, and their political wing democratically won elections that the US, amongst others had pushed for, only to not be recognized as the governing force by anyone but one other nation.

Their attacks on civilians should be condemned, but not to any other rate than IDF and Israeli settlers attacks on Palestinian civilians, or are you implying that a Jewish life is worth more than it's Muslim counterpart?

Islam is not a problem, there's no denying there are troublesome cultures in many Islam dominated countries though.

The media attention on Muslim extremism far surpasses it's importance, there is absolutely no getting around that.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
Quote:
Actually more of us prefer, it to be one prayer at a time.
Woodrow LI--from your prolific commentary throughout these threads, it is evident that you are a sincere and peaceful Muslim who is also willing to listen to what others have to say about Islam. So my question to you, asked in so many ways by others, is just WHY IS ISLAM the most violent and feared religion in the world? Only the Mexican drug wars rival the carnage that Islam has brought to modern society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam