Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Islam permit wife beatings (spousal Abuse)
Yes and I am Muslim 0 0%
No and I am Muslim 5 15.63%
Yes, I am not Muslim 17 53.13%
No, I am not Muslim 5 15.63%
I don't know 4 12.50%
I don't care 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Why does this sound like a master/servant relationship to me? Do you decide who your wife votes for too, or do you even allow her out of the house to vote?

Do you beat your wife?
Well in the Nikkah we signed, I gave up all personal ownership of all material things including income and they are my wife's property.

I hope she is allowed out of the house. I ain't going to feed all of her blasted horses by myself.

Here she is:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
in the home it is the woman who has the final word about many issues.
Like what size toothbrush will be used for her beating?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,504 times
Exclamation People are people

People are people. There may be Muslims that have no respect for women and because of this loss of respect they in turn may beat their wife. I am a muslim and I love my wife dearly and I greatly respect women (it was how I was raised). I would never hurt my wife in any way (physically, emotionally, spiritually, etc.). My point is that just because "a muslim" beats his wife, doesn't mean that "all muslims" beat their wives or that our religion allows it because some muslims my beat their wives due to their lack of respect for women.

If you love/cherish your wife you will protect her.
if you hate/dispise your wife you won't defend her.

Do what Paul said "husbands love your wives"

Old 01-08-2012, 12:01 AM

285 posts, read 297,951 times
No Islam is justice and law.The wife beating is a crime in Islam and who beats his wife will be trailed in Islam forum , and will be punished, proportionate with his wife's contusion and wounding ( He will be punished certainly except his wife announces she has forgiven her husband before the Islam judge, afterwards Islam will condone of his punishing, because the wives are litigant and rightful )

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,666 times
Well, I - for one - enjoyed the story about Job's wife, and have heard it before several times. Always liked it.

The whole point of using grass would be lost (and seems to be) on modern litigious Americans who are offended at every little thing where the opportunity of financial gain (via a lawyer) rears its ugly head. Someday, shaking hands will be taboo, illegal and prosecutable.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - I'll Sue Ya - YouTube

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
Do you believe you have the right to divorce your wife and deny her alimony if you caught her in the act of adultery? That is punishment. What right would you have to punish your wife. Yet, it is permissible in every USA state. Who the hell do non-Muslim men think they are to believe they have such rights?

Somehow to me it seems tapping lightly with a toothbrush is less harsh then divorcing and kicking out of the house with no income. which is what Common civil laws permit.
Why are we "tapping" again and can she tap back or tap when the man asses up himself too?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Why are we "tapping" again and can she tap back or tap when the man asses up himself too?
The ayyat comes from the Ahadith and was an answer by Nuhammad to a question put to him, "How Should a man beat his wife?" In preIslamic Arabia wife beating was almost mandatory and quite severe, usually resulting in broken bones or even death. When the Qur'an put a restriction, on it the people, were very reluctant to accept it, as a wife was not considered human by the pre-Muslim Arabs. When Muhammad answered they can tap them lightly with a miswak, This was essentially telling them they can not beat their wives. A miswak also called Siwak is a small flexible twig about the size of a pencil, It is used like a tooth brush hence the translation "Tooth Brush"

Yes, since women are considered equal to men, what applies for a man also applies for a woman. the actual message being neither should beat the other.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,006,684 times
Quote:
The ayyat comes from the Ahadith and was an answer by Nuhammad to a question put to him, "How Should a man beat his wife?" In preIslamic Arabia wife beating was almost mandatory and quite severe, usually resulting in broken bones or even death. When the Qur'an put a restriction, on it the people, were very reluctant to accept it, as a wife was not considered human by the pre-Muslim Arabs. When Muhammad answered they can tap them lightly with a miswak, This was essentially telling them they can not beat their wives. A miswak also called Siwak is a small flexible twig about the size of a pencil, It is used like a tooth brush hence the translation "Tooth Brush"

Yes, since women are considered equal to men, what applies for a man also applies for a woman. the actual message being neither should beat the other.
Ok, but how often, do you think, women in Islamic countries go around "beating" their men despite men often being the bigger offenders? Conversely, are there any stats that even delve into the frequency of domestic violence in said countries that can also be directly related to a LITERAL interpretation of the OP passage?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Ok, but how often, do you think, women in Islamic countries go around "beating" their men despite men often being the bigger offenders? Conversely, are there any stats that even delve into the frequency of domestic violence in said countries that can also be directly related to a LITERAL interpretation of the OP passage?
Sadly there is considerable abuse of women in some of the Arab countries. There are often severe beatings sometimes leading to death. Definetly not a light tap with a toothbrush, but pure unbridled rage. SOURCE

I have not found any World wide statistics but in the USA the stats show that 10% of American Muslim Woman have been abused SOURCE

The National Average for all American women is 1 out of 4 or 25% SOURCE

Old 01-08-2012, 08:30 PM

33,553 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Sadly there is considerable abuse of women in some of the Arab countries. There are often severe beatings sometimes leading to death. Definetly not a light tap with a toothbrush, but pure unbridled rage. SOURCE

I have not found any World wide statistics but in the USA the stats show that 10% of American Muslim Woman have been abused SOURCE

The National Average for all American women is 1 out of 4 or 25% SOURCE
The thing is Woodrow that Muslim women would be much less likely to report domestic violence than the rest of the female population...For many it is just a part of everyday life...

Domestic violence among Muslims has long straddled a blurry line between culture and religion, but now scattered organizations founded by Muslim American women are creating a movement to define it as an unacceptable cultural practice. The problem occurs among American Muslims at the same rate as other groups, activists say, but is even more sensitive because raising the issue is considered an attack on the faith.
Muslim American women confront domestic abuse - The New York Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam